Meow #116 A Plus

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, 11 more submissions so this is looking like it will not be a TOTAL disaster. The nudges have helped it seems and there is another one for Friday coming in a few minutes. However, today's solvers:

11 rjy
12 benchen71
13 Cindy Heisler
14 MatthewL
15 Carolyn
16 ajk
17 Bbaack
18 whimsy
19 KayW
20 CPJohnson
21 Mr Tex
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Another, but not the last, nudge:

As a follow up to the Thursday Nudge, why would I specifically name Marie Kondo (71A) unless I am trying to indicate something important?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Thank you for the nudges, DrTom. I really liked this grid and meta.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! Needed the nudges and then some…
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

This is an outstanding puzzle. Very clever. Unfortunately I was not. I figured out part of the mechanism but needed help to close the deal. The cat is happy to be out and about. I am admiring the construction.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:20 am This is an outstanding puzzle. Very clever. Unfortunately I was not. I figured out part of the mechanism but needed help to close the deal. The cat is happy to be out and about. I am admiring the construction.
Thank you! It took some time to pull it all together, and I had LOTS of test solvers/helpers, but in the end it was worth it (even if it was harder than my usual!)

I appreciate all of my Muggle solvers/friends!!!!

Me during the creation process:
mad xword scientist.jpg
Abide

Post by Abide »

I needed all nudges and a heavy dose of the meta answer!

edit: the penultimate answer, that is
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I give this meta its title!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm I give this meta its title!
Thank you Mike! Very strong praise coming from a fellow creator!! I do not always have the flashiest mechanisms, but every now and then.....
Blind Pig.jpg
T
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Been looking at this one off and on since Wednesday. I had to verify something this afternoon with Dr. Tom before I could finally unravel everything.

Really well done!
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Friday night and solvers keep chiming in

22 Dow Jones
23 Ergcat
24 lbray53
25 jaclyn
26 Abide
27 markhr
28 Imontoo
29 Johnny Luau

There will be another nudge tomorrow and then two on Sunday for those still working on the drawstrings of that bag. Overall a pretty good showing!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Finally! I had the right idea early on but just didn't know where all the pieces were.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With one more late last evening, the total is up to 30! Here is a little something to try to push it even higher.

The theme answers are symmetrically placed
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally got it this morning with some direct help from the mad constructor pictured above. I would say that cartoon above could be accurate for anyone else but the affable Dr. Tom. Just a little impish influencer, whom he listens to just enough to entertain us!
B194349F-5D07-41EE-9DA6-21DEC3B9F4E5.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Edit: Oops, posted on the wrong board.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally came back to this one and got it with the nudges - tough but good, thanks, Dr. Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Combination of late Friday and all day Saturday solvers:
30 hoover
31 Mwoychick

So it appears that the MGWCC has taken over and people are so busy banging their heads against that brick wall (as am I) that they don't have time for my MEOW. But 31 solvers is VERY respectable for my puzzles so I am happy about that at least. Last two nudges follow.

The Meta answer is 8 letters long

After you get all 7 of the theme answers, do what you've been doing one more time
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sunday Solvers
32 Bird Lives
33 Darrell
34 SeamusOL
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Monday solver

35 Pair O Ducks

I'd bet this is probably the last of the A Plus solvers but I'll hold off the reveal until tomorrow in case anyone really wants to make a last ditch effort.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

old gas.jpg
Well time to put this one to bed. I think "A Plus" may be my most “professional” puzzle yet, with the tie in of the Title, prompt, and final step being the same mechanism. I got a lot of positive comments and believe me I appreciate them. I kind of wish more people had given it a try, but 35 is not a bad number. Maybe next time Matt is behind deadline he’ll give a shout to my puzzle and perhaps drive some interest (though in truth mine was not near as fun as Ben’s so I understand why he mentioned that one).

The final A appeared to be a speed bump for MANY people, no doubt because I have never done anything quite that intricate before. Only a third of you got it on the first try and I'd imagine if I had the ability to see what was the first try for many others it would be SLOEGIN. Hopefully it was a pleasant surprise and maybe I'll even have a last step in some upcoming ones, just to prove this one wasn't a fluke.
A Plus Reveal.jpg

As good as it was (and I may be presumptuous in that “good” statement) it had a MAJOR wart. Completely unintended was WITS with a clue “Something you should try to keep around you”. I should have used "about you" because if one followed the mechanism and added an A you can make WAIST and people thought the “around” clued it as a secondary answer and therefore part of the mechanism. Worse yet, there was a symmetrical OLES near the bottom that people made into ALOES. There was nothing that was “second meaningful” there but the A mechanism and the symmetry pushed people to make the leap. That gave a W before SLOEGIN and an A after which led some solvers astray. Now WSLOEGINA may have a meaning in some Eastern European tongue (probably means goofy crossword constructor) but not in English. Believe me it was entirely unintended and screwed up what would otherwise have been a GREAT puzzle (again excuse my hubris). Still all in all everything seemed to work well and I guarantee you are going to like this one (in retrospect) probably much more than my next difficult one that should appear in March (unless I have one before that to fill a hole in an emergency).

Tom