"Directionally Challenged" / "Directionally Unchallenged" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Berto

Post by Berto »

!demrots toaM
Did Challenged first, think it was a challenge to read the clues, but the meta popped out, whereas the reverse was true of the reverse lol.
Very cool idea, Ben! Thanks.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have a very busy afternoon today (online parent-teacher interviews :shock:) so I'm doing the first solver update earlier than normal. As promised there will be two lists...

Directionally Challenged - 36 solvers
kieranjboyd
Qmark
hoover
Laura M
SeamusOL
Schmeel
JM
lbray53
Berto
Cindy Weatherman
boharr
Hector
I K Snamhcok
DebbieC
MatthewL
merlinnimue
Pair O Ducks
Mr Tex
Tyrpmom
Gutman
Darth
rjy
woozy
KayW
markhr
ReB
Jim23809
imontoo
Philip Chow
Mikey G
whimsy
DrButtBeard
Jaclyn
edestlin
SamKat9
BarbaraK

Directionally Unchallenged - 10 solvers
Tom Wilson
Meg
Hector
MatthewL
merlinnimue
boharr
HeadinHome
kurtalert
whimsy
Philip Chow

It's interesting to see a few names on both lists!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat. I did the Directionally Challenged. Actually after I got the meta, I went back and did the Directionally Unchallenged, too. Curious to see which was harder. Clever meta, Ben. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Decided to go for the "Challenged one"'; glad I did, it was fun indeed. Heck I am glad to solve anything anymore, no matter which way I go!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I did the Directionally Challenged and apparently i am meta-challenged too. Not seeing the path across the moat YET!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I did directionally unchallenged, and I was challenged anyway. A red herring was there that confused me. Crossed the moat with lots of help.
Cynthia
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Crossed the moat!
Heidi
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Head hurts indeed. I believe I have crossed the moat. Awaiting confirmation. Super clever and mind boggling for sure.

Stay well all
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another day with more solvers to add to the lists!

Directionally Challenged - 47
Bbaack
Charles Montpetit
Cindy Heisler
DrTom
DIS
frostyjhammer
Alex Sisti
heidi
Streroto
LindaPRmaven
Darrell

Directionally Unchallenged - 12
Jim23809
CPJohnson

Nudges will come out tomorrow morning, Australia time.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. If you made it this far, well done indeed! The puzzle title is not a hint: it's just referring to those insanely difficult backwards across clues and grid entries.

2. Did you notice something different about the clue for 72 across?

3. That clue was not reversed! That should make you look at that entry.

4. That entry still forms a real word! Are there others like that in the grid?

5. Symmetry is your friend!

1. The puzzle title is a subtle hint. "Directionally ambidextrous" is an alternate title.

2. The meta hint refers to parts of the puzzle that can be reversed. More specifically, this refers to some grid entries.

3. Some across words can be reversed and still form real words.

4. Symmetry is your friend!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the Moat! Needed help! But very unique and fun meta!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update before the answer reveal:

Directionally Challenged - 50
DCBilly
Ergcat
Katiedid

Directionally Unchallenged - 14
THC
Spid4567

Well done, everyone!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Directionally Challenged" / "Directionally Unchallenged":

Directionally (Un)Challenged (solution).png

This was a tough one to construct! I constructed the crossword "forwards" on a mirror-imaged grid, placing the meta answer letters at the end of the relevant entries and TIME in the bottom left corner. I then came up with words that could be reversed for the theme entries. I then filled the rest of the grid with words that could not be reversed. That was really tricky and it was the three letter words that proved hardest since a lot of them work forwards and back. Once the grid was done I clued the whole thing. Then I exported the result, started a new puzzle with the grid on the left, transferring the letters carefully and then quickly filling in the down clues. The across clues then all had to be reversed using a helpful website.

I was not sure about requiring the whole of EMIT to contribute TIME to the meta answer. But I hoped the distinctive clue of 72 A, in conjunction with the meta note, would be enough. That, and context, since THE ARROW OF E is not a thing!

Then, after a couple of hours it occurred to me that I could use the "forwards" grid as an alternate puzzle for those who didn't want the challenge of filling in the backwards grid. But because all of the words look correct, the ones that can be reversed are harder to spot. Plus, you need to reverse them and then take the first letter (you can just take the last letter, but that's not a "regular" meta mechanic) so the meta would be harder with this "forwards" grid. I made some changes, though. I reversed TIME to EMIT, and then changed the grid in that corner to fit.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ah, I got to THE ARROW OF E but never made the leap to the TIME part and so wasn't sure which ones I should or shouldn't include. My fault.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer