"Movie Trilogy" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

MOAT crossed...thanks for the fun meta Ben! A favourite treat!
Meg

Post by Meg »

The words "wheelhouse" and "not in" certainly came into play today. Not complaining. I got tarts in my wagon and some peaches. Looking for the castle cook.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Moat crossed and castle stormed! Now I'm hungry for ice cream!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: :ice_cream: Stormed - Fun one!

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's where we stand at the end of the first 24 hours:

Tom Wilson
Schmeel
Berto
Laura M
SamKat9
boharr
Pair O Ducks
Hector
Alex Sisti
JM
JHSeeman
Darth
rjy
kurtalert
MatthewL
ajk
hoover
HeadinHome
DrButtBeard
DrTom
DIS
whimsy
I K Snamhcok
lbray53
Qmark
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Ergcat
Katiedid
KayW
Darrell
MrTheHan
Spid4567

That's 33 to get us going!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Well, I can't say that I "stormed" the castle with this one, but I painstakingly crossed the moat. Nice challenge! And I learned something from all my Googling.
Cindy Heisler
woozy

Post by woozy »

So apparently there is a some moat you can cross by googling? And the googling gives a lot of new stuff? I found a few pools of water and a big empty field. and nothing really worth googling. A few minor things I knew but others might not and a few things I didn't know that others might but nothing noteworthy in either direction.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:12 am So apparently there is a some moat you can cross by googling? And the googling gives a lot of new stuff? I found a few pools of water and a big empty field. and nothing really worth googling. A few minor things I knew but others might not and a few things I didn't know that others might but nothing noteworthy in either direction.
Would you like early nudges?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:12 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:12 am So apparently there is a some moat you can cross by googling? And the googling gives a lot of new stuff? I found a few pools of water and a big empty field. and nothing really worth googling. A few minor things I knew but others might not and a few things I didn't know that others might but nothing noteworthy in either direction.
Would you like early nudges?
Not yet I guess. I figure it must be something at my finger tips. I'll take the nudges when they come.
Stinky Pinkies!

woozy

Post by woozy »

Ah geez. I just thought of a way to solve the meta without doing *anything* meta related... and I bet half the people here did exactly that. Didn't even occur to me to try something like that.

Oh well. At least I solved my fist meta in eight days... (what a slump...)
Stinky Pinkies!

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only 4 more solvers bringing us to 37:

edestlin
Cindy Heisler
lisajay
woozy
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no obvious hints in the grid. However, 62 down might have appeared a tad suspicious.

2. There are quite a number of movies in the grid (3 down, 6 down, and probably a whole lot more that I am unaware of. There are also actors (49 across is often clued as "Actress, ___ de Armas"; 56 across might have been "Batman actor, Christian ___"). These are all unintentional red herrings. Instead, focus on those entries with clues that explicitly refer to movies.

3. You should find 6 entries, which is interesting in a puzzle titled "Movie Trilogy".

4. You may need to resort to Google if you are not a fan of this particular movie trilogy!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Crossed the moat! I was on the right track, but sure needed Mr. G!
Heidi
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:58 pm Crossed the moat! I was on the right track, but sure needed Mr. G!
I wouldn't have been much help! ;)

My wild guess would've been a miss, so glad I solved it and figured it out the genuine way! Surprisingly, for someone who sees very few movies, I saw one of them in question!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's time for the Final solver update:

SeamusOL
Mr Tex
jbird
Carolyn
Jerry Miccolis
Max Chemtov
heidi
Deb W
ellequin
Cate C
rayyandroid
Sanne
Tane
Dow Jones
Tyrpmom
Rufus T Firefly
CPJohnson
markhr
Mikey G
Philip Chow
SJ

That's a grand total of 58! Answer reveal very soon...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Movie Trilogy":

IMG_20230918_074140_(500_x_1302_pixel).png

For those of you who are fans of these movies, or the director Edgar Wright, or the actor Simon Pegg, you probably guessed the meta answer from the combination of the puzzle title and meta prompt! For the rest of you, this puzzle might have required the use of Google. After all, this is a strange trilogy in that the three movies are essentially stand-alone and do not appear to be sequels.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I was totally late to solve this one, but what a great a ha moment!