Let It Be

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
vandono

Post by vandono »

loved the grid. decided which song i thought it was pretty quickly - maybe because it's one of my favorite Beatles songs... no worse than tied for first anyway. but i haven't worked out the complete mechanism, even with the hints. i'm on the edge of the couch ready to spring. we'll see.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Ok, I read the nudges… did what I thought they said to do ( with the help of Mr. G, of course) but still not sure! I must be missing something
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Did not read the nudges, thankfully, because I would have been mad. I took a break from trying to hammer a mess I am working on into a Meta and looked over Chris' excellent puzzle again. This time I was no longer distracted by the shiny object I saw early on and discovered the real mechanism. I have submitted and though not confirmed I am pretty confident of my answer. I am also listening to the Beatles playlist and just heard on of my favorites (and a Florida theme song) "Here Comes the Sun" and next comes one that I can say thankfully I am not dressed for, "All together Now" :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:54 pm Did not read the nudges, thankfully, because I would have been mad. I took a break from trying to hammer a mess I am working on into a Meta and looked over Chris' excellent puzzle again. This time I was no longer distracted by the shiny object I saw early on and discovered the real mechanism. I have submitted and though not confirmed I am pretty confident of my answer. I am also listening to the Beatles playlist and just heard on of my favorites (and a Florida theme song) "Here Comes the Sun" and next comes one that I can say thankfully I am not dressed for, "All together Now" :D
I'll bet I know what that shiny object was. Yeah, that was hard to let go.
Last edited by BarbaraK on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ok, things heated up a bit this afternoon, with several move solvers crossing the finish line. We are now up to 37 but I know more of you are out there, undoubtedly busy tweaking your Pandora / Spotify / other playlists!

Schmeel
DrTom
BrennerTJ
johnaldape
whimsy
Bob cruise director
runart
Cap'n Rick
minimuggle
joequavis
MikeyG
Dave C
TeamDoubleTow

And one more nudge. There IS a mechanism that will lead you to the intended answer. Also, the correct song title would be appropriate as the official Muggles song (as suggested by a solver)!
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Since Chris agrees that I'm humming the right tune, I'll indicate my off-the-couch-ed-ness.
Capturephonebox.PNG
Prank time! -- Let's see how many of us we can stuff back on to it!

Enjoyed the puzzle a lot, and all the tongue-in-cheek responses!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm confirmed off the couch, but only with nudges and a lot of HELP. Really a fun puzzle.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Not confirmed but pretty confident that we are off the couch. We liked at the first 2 nudges and that confirmed we were going in the right direction... Unfortunately we had a little issue with the application last night.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Enjoyed this puzzle. Brought back many good memories listening to the Beatles way back when.
Solved and confirmed! Thanks, Chris!
Cindy Heisler
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Not seeing it. Not Chris’s fault but mine.
What I remember most about the Beatles is how their music lifted the spirits after we had lost a President by assassination. It was a very muted Christmas in 1963. Then the Beatles appeared on the Sullivan show in early 1964. As a 10 year old then I remember it was finally OK to play popular music in the house, run up and down the stairs and pick fights with my brothers.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I am no longer sitting on the sofa with a sister or two.

I just got back to this one this morning, and without looking at the nudges (which I still haven't done), realized the answer to the question I had been asking on my first time through two days ago. I said to myself. . . well if you've solved it you know what I said. And I got by with a little help from my Internet connection.
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Board update. Up to 41 solvers with the following Muggles escaping the sofa (let me know if I missed you!):

Snood
Ergcat
Cinny
Bird Lives

Let me know if you still need/want a nudge. I'll post the solution late Saturday afternoon.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I think I’m off the couch without having looked at nudges — yet! Lots of googling required as I’m not as familiar with the topic as some of you must be.

Great puzzle!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Nudged off the couch. Very nice!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

A few more across the finish line:

Bbaack
eagle1279
Anita
MamaE
Gmoney
ReB
Sharkicicles
Tom Mueller
Carolyn
CPJohnson
NaptownKid
HeadinHome
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Woot. This was awesome.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:54 pm Did not read the nudges, thankfully, because I would have been mad. I took a break from trying to hammer a mess I am working on into a Meta and looked over Chris' excellent puzzle again. This time I was no longer distracted by the shiny object I saw early on and discovered the real mechanism. I have submitted and though not confirmed I am pretty confident of my answer. I am also listening to the Beatles playlist and just heard on of my favorites (and a Florida theme song) "Here Comes the Sun" and next comes one that I can say thankfully I am not dressed for, "All together Now" :D
I'll bet I know what that shiny object was. Yeah, that was hard to let go.
I'm curious when all is said and done if I too saw the nice, shiny object and just went for it. We shall see!

Not five words, and maybe it's overrated to some, but it isn't to me: I find "Hey Jude" to be one of the best musical and even lyrical constructions of all time. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose-colored glasses, but it seemed like a great emblem of hope when everything else was falling apart. It never fails to cheer me up, especially after a rough day.

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally spent some time on this today! Grid was done Monday, but I didn’t see the meta and forgot to come back for nudges (which should not have been needed, but were). Such a clever puzzle! I’ll message Chris, but it was a satisfying click that made me smile!! (Yes, needed google… though I was around in the heyday, I was just a tot in the ‘60s, and my parents didn’t buy a lot of vinyl, unfortunately.
The other Wendy. :roll:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

OK - - ended up with 50+ solvers! Here is the solution (I'm assuming you were able to complete the grid, so not posting a picture of that).

The title of the meta was "Let it Be", which (along with several clues - - see more below) was meant to point you to the B-sides of the seven songs in the clues. The trick, as it turns out, was to get the "correct" B-sides based on the details in the clues. Here are the seven songs, the seven B-sides, and the first letters of those B-sides:

Get Back - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Don't Let Me Down - - - - - - - - -> D

Please Please Me ('63 version) - - - - - - - - - - -> Ask Me Why - - - - -> A

Can't Buy Me Love - - - - - - - - - -> You Can't Do That - - - - - - - - - - > Y

I Want to Hold Your Hand ('63 UK release) - - - > This Boy - - - - - - - -> T

Hey Jude - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Revolution - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> R

Hello Goodbye - - - - - - - - - - - - > I Am The Walrus - - - - - - - - - - - > I

Love Me Do - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> P.S. I Love You - - - - - - - - - - - - -> P

The first letters of the B-sides spell DAYTRIP, which was meant to clue you towards the song DAYTRIPPER, but, like DAYTRIP, it isn't finished. The B-side to DAYTRIPPER is the meta answer, WE CAN WORK IT OUT.

Several clues were meant to suggest the mechanism, including 53A and 6D, both of which discuss "both sides". Additionally, the grid answer to 70A is ASIDES, which refers to the songs in the clues, OR to the technically correct answer to the meta, which is that WE CAN WORK IT OUT is actually a rare "double A-side".

I'm hoping that there is a spike in searches for Beatles tunes on Spotify - - I know that creating the puzzle resulted in me listening a lot more to my favorite Beatles tunes. My thanks to Peter and Al for their expert comments and suggested edits, all of which greatly improved the grid.

Thanks to everyone who solved, and apologies to everyone born after the mid-1980's, as you may have had no idea what a "B-side" is/was. :-)
Abide

Post by Abide »

The week before this one the Zoom call discussed Matt’s “Which Side Are You On?” The group talked about the red herring of B-sides to the Abdul songs, and how that would be a good future mechanism. I could see Chris biting his tongue!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald