Rack Up The Points

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:39 pm Daggnabbit..... Why does it have to be *SOO* easy to accidently post a message to the entire forum...... *sheeesh*.
Why, what did you post?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:12 pm “So the "Probably a 2 at best" may be a canard, but the path to discovery well that is a: [Cunard photo]”
About that poster:
1) on-board entertainment looks like a lot of lame party games (balloon-forehead thing??) WOW, tough crowd, you're not going ot like what comes next then, Hokey Pokey!
2) what game is that with the rings and the net? Sorry this is an adult game and not fit for discussion in the forum. I have to say I was surprised that women were playing
3) ditto the lanes and the tiny horse race. Unfortunately the experiment with the actual size horses proved unworkable after the third horse went overboard on the home stretch turn

However, I do approve of the 3-tiered dessert tray being passed around. If I’m going to put on a cocktail dress to sit in the sun, someone had better be bringing me petit fours. Wendy, I'd agree to bring you petit fives if it pleased you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, it is officially Wednesday - nudges loading....

Rack Up the Points Nudges

The long answer in the middle is far too tempting to be there by chance, and its wording certainly screams HINT! But what to make of it?

Small Several games have the potential for a three point play, but none of the others are associated with a “rack”

Medium How does one score points in that game?

Large How would you go about complying with 39A in the game that it references, there really is only one way to do it
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:59 pm
woozy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:39 pm Daggnabbit..... Why does it have to be *SOO* easy to accidently post a message to the entire forum...... *sheeesh*.
Why, what did you post?
I posted:

"Hey, Dr. Tom. Is the meta PICKLE-JUICE-EXTRACT? I got it by noting PICKLE-HARVEST-BUTTERCUP and I figured this fit your style as on the puzzle PICKLE-PARCEL-TACKLE you'd be doing a modification and doing TALLY-WHACKER-MARSHMALLOW would be a good twist.

"Let me know if I solved the meta. I promise I won't post any spoilers to the forum."
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:08 am
Why, what did you post?
I posted:

"Hey, Dr. Tom. Is the meta PICKLE-JUICE-EXTRACT? I got it by noting PICKLE-HARVEST-BUTTERCUP and I figured this fit your style as on the puzzle PICKLE-PARCEL-TACKLE you'd be doing a modification and doing TALLY-WHACKER-MARSHMALLOW would be a good twist.

"Let me know if I solved the meta. I promise I won't post any spoilers to the forum."
:D :lol: :P
rjy

Post by rjy »

FINALLY off the couch w Nudge 1… very cool concept, @DrTom!
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:06 pm We planted a big cactus garden in the canyon adjacent to our house. The specimen I sent a picture of is different than yours. It has about ten cylindrical arms growing from a central mass. However, despite the difference, the flowers appear very similar. Ours has several flowers on the arms. They last for a few days and then fall off. The plants flower once or twice a year, I don’t keep track that closely. The interesting thing about cacti is that the shape and color of the flower is related to the type of pollinator that they want to attract. Bees are attracted to yellow and blue. Cacti that rely on bees for pollination tend to have flat yellow flowers. A good example of this is the golden barrel. Cacti with long tubular flowers are geared toward hummingbirds, and large white flowering cacti are geared toward bats.
If you wonder why Jay(s), Kay, Josh, & many other muggles are Whole-World-Championship-caliber solvers (& creators), follow their side discussions on meta topics.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ahhh… from the nudges I see that we may be in an area I know nothing about. Can’t even think of a thing that fulfills what they are cluing. Y’all go on without me…
Last edited by HeadinHome on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 am Ahhh… from the clues I see that we may be in an area I know nothing about. Can’t even think of a thing that fulfills what the clues are cluing. Y’all go on without me…
I think I'll join you...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

With a nudge, but not from Dr. Tom. Another kind Muggle hinted me very nicely last night. Just enough nudge so solving was still fun. (Now I’ll read Dr. T’s nudges.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:08 am
Why, what did you post?
I posted:

Well I never saw that post, but good thing I didn't or I'd have had to say "woozy, stop solving puzzles from the future, that one is set to debut on Monday April 6, 2026 and is Titled "You've Got a Lot of Gall".
crystal.jpg
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Off the comfy couch and back to the wrack
6CB26D90-D346-4D4E-AA85-8EDE80CDAAB3.jpeg
Good one, DT.!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Very clever Doc!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch. Finally!
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 am Ahhh… from the nudges I see that we may be in an area I know nothing about. Can’t even think of a thing that fulfills what they are cluing. Y’all go on without me…
It's possible that you are in an area you know nothing about, but considering the nature and subject of this forum I highly doubt that.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Pretty sure I'm off the couch. Awaiting confirmation. Fun puzzle.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally off the couch!! Excellent meta and one I should have gotten without Dr Tom practically having to pull me out from under the couch!!
Cindy Heisler
mindle

Post by mindle »

woozy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 am Ahhh… from the nudges I see that we may be in an area I know nothing about. Can’t even think of a thing that fulfills what they are cluing. Y’all go on without me…
It's possible that you are in an area you know nothing about, but considering the nature and subject of this forum I highly doubt that.
This conversation got me off the couch :)
Fun puzzle!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

On the topic of cactus flowers, here's one from the beach today. . .
Attachments
Cactus Flower.jpg
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

whimsy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:49 pm Off the couch/scratch pad.
Capturecouchprinted.PNG
Thanks, DrTom!
I thought that couch had math formulas on it at first, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show