"Factorising Quadratics" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:25 pm ha ha ha ha ha yeahhh… no.
I’ll cheer the rest of you from the sidelines. ( :
boharr wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:48 pm As will I.
hcbirker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:26 pm I'm with you Wendy!
For what it's worth, the nudges should help you get to the answer without having to do any actual maths! (Spoiler 5 has a link to a website that will do it for you!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

thanks for your kind encouragement, Ben. That made me think okaaaay, I’ll try it. so, grid completed. As for the meta, completely at sea as to what some of the nudges mean, such as number 3. And regarding nudge 1, nope, just four that seem like a pattern, not five . And the link you provided .. when I tried the first one it said “does not factor” - so i’m clearly doing something wrong already (probably stems from not understanding nudge 3). Again, too much anxiety rising. HATED algebra…

Oddly, I passed calculus somehow, so at some point I was able to overcome my mathphobia enough to get the job done. But it was painful. Also, my mom was a math teacher and probably wept over me when I wasn’t looking. Poetry, now. Give me a poem to analyze and write an A+ essay on, and I’m your girl. Or I can just write a new poem on the old one. Or give me a pencil and I will happily sketch you a new home.

Thank you, STEM people. We arts people know you help make our lives better, what with your chemistry and aerodynamics and medical breakthroughs and whatnot. We shall continue to enhance the beauty of yours.
The other Wendy. :roll:
boharr

Post by boharr »

I never took calculus, so out of curiosity I have simplistic questions.
Why would a person factor and not solve?
Is there a difference?
If so, what is it?
Can these questions be answered in words only?
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:51 am
HeadinHome wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:25 pm ha ha ha ha ha yeahhh… no.
I’ll cheer the rest of you from the sidelines. ( :
boharr wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:48 pm As will I.
hcbirker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:26 pm I'm with you Wendy!
For what it's worth, the nudges should help you get to the answer without having to do any actual maths! (Spoiler 5 has a link to a website that will do it for you!)
Oh.... I didn't realize the three entries in a row were supposed to actually physically make an equation... I just viewed them as steps of manipulations

with that in mind here's a nudge specifically for Headin' Home for the FXF, ONEF, SIX trio of entries enter "f^2 + 1f = 6" into the factor machine and if it does what is says you should do fine and get (f-2)(f+3)=0.

EDIT: The machine didn't do as I predicted. If you enter "f^2 +1f = 6" into the machine it solves (not factor) and spits out (correctly) "f=2 or f=-3". What you should enter is "f^2 +1f -6" (which is an phrase, not a sentence) then (since it is a phrase and not a sentence) it will factor (parse) the phrase rather than solve (simplify) the sentence, and spit out "(f-2)(f+3)".

I think there is a not more going on than a "use an app" advice can accomodate

END EDIT

Or... you can do

f^2 + 1f = 6

f^2 + 1f - 6 = 0

Think of the factors of 6: (1x6, 2x3) and check which of them are have a difference of 1. 1-6 = -5. No. 2-3 = -1. No.. 3-2=1. Yes. 6-1 = 5. No. To get

f^2 + 1f -6 = 0

(f-2)(f+3) = 0

Last edited by woozy on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
woozy

Post by woozy »

All said and done I think nudges 3-5 forget just how much thought and practice and comfort is required to even comprehend the task.
Stinky Pinkies!

StunGun

Post by StunGun »

So I got through all the steps to the last nudge on my own. But flummoxed. Any gentle hints on where to go after nudge 5?
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

Got it.
Inspired puzzle!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat.
Needed nudges - I went too far with gazintas (factoring) and not far enough with ciphering (letter decrypting)

Thanks, Ben! That's more algebra than I've done in decades :lol:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another solver update, since I have a spare moment:

JR
SeamusOL
sw3aterCS
Schmeel
mxa
Mr Tex
Tim
Account
Sharkicicles
MrTheHan
KayW

We're up to 37 now! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:51 am I never took calculus, so out of curiosity I have simplistic questions.
Is there a difference?
If so, what is it?
I thought this was a limerick at first, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
boharr

Post by boharr »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:55 pm
boharr wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:51 am I never took calculus, so out of curiosity I have simplistic questions.
Is there a difference?
If so, what is it?
You don't recognize a quadraticialzed rhyme scheme? The I's are imaginary words. haha
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

@boharr

Once the grid is filled, it becomes obvious to the casual observer...
hoover

Post by hoover »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:55 pm
Is there a difference?
If so, what is it?
There once was a mathematician...
MMe

Post by MMe »

"Solving" is finding the roots of the quadratic equation, which means determining the values of its variable for which the polynomial function equals zero.

"Factoring" is expressing the polynomial function (e.g. x^2+5x+6) in a different form , as a multiplication of factors (e.g., (x+3)(x+2)). That can be useful in solving an equation in more than one way. For example, if you know that (x^+5x+6)/(x+3) = 3, then factoring quickly gives you x+2=3, and so x=1 -- without needing to haul out the quadratic equation.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another solver update for you:

ChrisCross
Philip Chow
Rick
zmaj
LasersharpAurora
James

That's 43.
woozy

Post by woozy »

hoover wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:18 am

There once was a mathematician...
whose wits were subject to attrition
while modelling migration
he used Lebesgue integration
when he should have just stuck to addition
Stinky Pinkies!

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers, bringing us up to 50!:

Jerry Miccolis
JM
Cate C3
kamashdad
rayyandroid
Sanne
Darth

Final update before the answer reveal, Monday morning Australia time!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the MOAT. Well done.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, bringing us up to 52, which is pretty good for a "week 4":

ReB
SJ
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And now for the solution reveal!

Here's the solution to "Factorising Quadratics":

Factorising Quadratics (solution).png

I was fascinated by how many 10-letter mathematicians there are: for example, Pythagorus, Fibbonacci, Archimedes, Von Neumann and Alan Turing were names I could see as meta submissions. However, there was a good reason for the answer being DIOPHANTUS.

From Wikipedia:
"Most of the problems in Arithmetica lead to quadratic equations. Diophantus looked at 3 different types of quadratic equations: ax2 + bx = c, ax2 = bx + c, and ax2 + c = bx. The reason why there were three cases to Diophantus, while today we have only one case, is that he did not have any notion for zero and he avoided negative coefficients by considering the given numbers a, b, c to all be positive in each of the three cases above."

The 5 equations encoded into the puzzle all fit Diophantus' first case. However, by using algebraic notation (rather than a purely geometric method) and factorising as shown, we can go beyond Diophantus by recognising that these equations also have negative solutions.

Interestingly, if you've heard of "Fermat's Last Theorem", Pierre de Fermat wrote this in the margin of a copy of Diophantus' book. Special shoutout, therefore, to @merlinnimue who commented on Crosshare: "I have discovered a truly remarkable solution to this meta puzzle, but unfortunately this text field is too small to contain it." Love it!