"Be Transformed" - June 3, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Our regularly scheduled ZOOM Session will be held, as usual, at 4:30 Eastern Time. ALL ARE WELCOME, even if you have already solved and would simply like to meet other muggles. To join in, simply click on the MUGGLE ZOOM ROOM at the top of the page.
As a note of procedure, what we do is to ask everyone to speak about what they have tried so far. This sets an atmosphere of commonality and shared rabbit holes. When someone mentions a promising mechanism, a thumbs up is shown by those on the zoom who have already solved.
The goal is to promote the AHA among the participants and not actually state the solution out loud except for those who are still really struggling. Hope that we see you there!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Whoa, this one was kinda impressive once it all fit into place.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:28 am After the rush of the AHA! first thing this morning, 62A put us in the mood to celebrate. So we ordered some fresh Jumbo Lump Crabmeat from the Eastern Shore of Maryland and plan on enjoying some homemade crab cakes tomorrow!
I hope you're not one of those philistines who puts peppers in their crabcakes. Sacrilege! The perfect crabcake has only crab and enough stuff to hold it together - mayo, an egg, bread crumbs, dijon, Worcestershire, and a touch of herbs and spices. And Ms. Devine at Faidley's https://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/ in Lexington Market will give a serious side-eye to anyone who would defile her luscious creations with cocktail or tartar sauce.

Very happy we moved away from Baltimore, but I don't order the crabcakes here. Outside of Maryland, it's DIY or bust.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Took me forever to complete the grid yesterday. Slept on it. Still sitting here with a very glazed look (not unlike, as a fellow Muggle pointed out, that feeling when you sit down for your last and final exam and don't have the brain/will power left). Maybe a walk in this VERY fine weather we are having today in NY will clear the noggin. :)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:28 pm
Deb F wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:22 pm Huh. Languishing with Isaac et al. I am all over the place on this one and feeling as if I am, once again, making it much more difficult than it has to be. Of course, if Wendy Walker hasn't gotten it yet and we are still on page 3, maybe it's not so easy. Will keep you posted should I progress off the ship.

Welcome home, Tina!

Good luck, Muggles.
You are not making it "more difficult than it has to be." It IS a tricky one!

I thank you for that!!!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Scott M wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:59 pm
I hope you're not one of those philistines who puts peppers in their crabcakes. Sacrilege! The perfect crabcake has only crab and enough stuff to hold it together - mayo, an egg, bread crumbs, dijon, Worcestershire, and a touch of herbs and spices. And Ms. Devine at Faidley's https://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/ in Lexington Market will give a serious side-eye to anyone who would defile her luscious creations with cocktail or tartar sauce.

Very happy we moved away from Baltimore, but I don't order the crabcakes here. Outside of Maryland, it's DIY or bust.

Great photo. My wife and I are originally from Baltimore and we know the Real McCoy. We prefer 2 crushed saltine crackers rather than bread crumbs and the only seasonings are old bay, fresh parsley and brown mustard. Peppers are a grotesque abomonation invented by chefs who do not appreciate the delicacy of fine blue crabmeat!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

You can count me ashore this week! Happy to work on a meta that seemed to suit my way of thinking this week.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I have finished the grid, but am still on the ship.
To be transformed, or not to be transformed; that is the question,
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the devious puzzle construction,
Or to take pencil in hand amid this sea of troubles, and hope to solve it.
To solve! To win the mug! Hey, I can dream.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:28 am After the rush of the AHA! first thing this morning, 62A put us in the mood to celebrate. So we ordered some fresh Jumbo Lump Crabmeat from the Eastern Shore of Maryland and plan on enjoying some homemade crab cakes tomorrow!
Gold plated crabcakes those. We're paying over $50/lb for jumbo lump here!

Still at sea, though have not settled into my weekend deep dive. Clearly Matt had tough metas in mind this week (see his MGWCC postponement note).

Lots of time to ponder and chase the bunnies.

Stay well, all (and enjoy those crabcakes!!)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Scott M wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Great photo. My wife and I are originally from Baltimore and we know the Real McCoy. We prefer 2 crushed saltine crackers rather than bread crumbs and the only seasonings are old bay, fresh parsley and brown mustard. Peppers are a grotesque abomonation invented by chefs who do not appreciate the delicacy of fine blue crabmeat!
Used to have a beach house in Bethany Beach DE and every year we went ( from Chicago) we would feast on steamed crabs and crab cakes as soon as we crossed the Bay Bridge! Then My daughter ( Regfish) moved to Baltimore about 6 yrs ago so I could continue to enjoy crab cakes when I went to visit. Alas, we sold the beach house and my daughter moved back to SC so no AUTHENTIC MD crab cakes for me anymore! The ones they try to pass off down here in SC are awful… use back-fin meat, peppers, loads of fillers, too spicy, etc.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Still on the ship. Can't join the Zoom, but will be there in spirit!
Heidi
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore with a nudge.
Learned that sometimes it is reaallly hard to resist a nudge - seemed like 1A growing around all my rabbit holes.
Good luck to all with the puzzle, meta and mug drawing!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Streroto wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:44 pm Gold plated crabcakes those. We're paying over $50/lb for jumbo lump here!
$50 a lb is a bargain. We had to pay $65/lb plus overnight shipping which is through the roof thanks to the high cost of fuel!

BTW, the only proper accompaniment to crab cakes is home made cole slaw, white corn on the cob (prererably Silver Queen, but we can't get that in Ohio), fresh tomatoes and saltine crackers.
Don & Cynthia

Joe

Post by Joe »

Oh. My. The zoom room comes through again. I left before all had been revealed but wow. Yes, it's 100%. And so creative.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore thanks to Zoom
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

An initial nudge (which scared me out of the Zoom immediately) was enough to get me off the bar stool and see the light.

I still don't love the puzzle title, but the overall mechanism is pretty clever! Cheers, all.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On the beach, with help from the zoom group, very clever mechanism, as always. There are a lot of really smart Muggles in this group!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Saw something yesterday. But like others, had to walk away and ponder before figuring out what to do with it. On shore now!
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

Ahoy there! On shore with a little nudge from the zoom room!! Very nice.

I only popped on for a moment, but I heard something interesting, so I popped off again. Not sure I would have gotten there on my own this week. I was very busy chasing many rabbits... aka intriguing potential leads, lol. 🐇 🐇 😂

Happy June and happy weekend all! 🍻
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Ashore with a nudge from the Zoomers. Came away with a craving for crab cakes!
Kathie