"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach.

Fun puzzle from the Merry Gridman.
Jack Sullivan
boharr

Post by boharr »

KayW wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:12 pm 🛁 :desert_island: :tropical_drink: Inspiration strikes in the bathtub! Onshore.
BWM -- Bathing While Muggling
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore after pre-celebrating with a Boulevard Sugarwood Baklava. I had to crack open a KC beer as soon as I saw Patrick Mahomes in the first clue. Just like the Chiefs I was struggling for a few weeks, but I feel like I got my meta mojo back these last couple weeks.
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Ashore! I’m a fairly new muggle. The answer came to me while I was out walking my dogs. Then it took a while before I realized it was actually right!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Acarl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:52 pm Ashore! I’m a fairly new muggle. The answer came to me while I was out walking my dogs. Then it took a while before I realized it was actually right!
WDWM -- Walking Dogs While Muggling
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

So, distracted and stuck due to not giving the puzzle its due attention, but had a WAG in mind, which I immediately dismissed. Turned out to be correct. I still must batten down a couple corners of the tarp but count me sailing ashore without realizing it. The beer will taste as sweet.

Ashore, unabashedly. Guinness, SVP.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore! Loved it.
And loved the reference to my beloved 1999 classic VW.
65,000 miles on her. Has spent every winter in the garage. Mint condition.
A little old lady from Pasadena.
(Go Granny,go)
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! My meta buddy did all the swimming. She was performing the side-stroke while holding a rope in her teeth, hauling me to shore in the inflatable. I think I owe her a scotch🥃! I’ll just have something with an umbrella in it. 🍹
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:14 pm So, distracted and stuck due to not giving the puzzle its due attention, but had a WAG in mind, which I immediately dismissed. Turned out to be correct. I still must batten down a couple corners of the tarp but count me sailing ashore without realizing it. The beer will taste as sweet.

Ashore, unabashedly. Guinness, SVP.
HitCWM — Head in the Clouds While Muggling.

( )
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On shore, with a gentle nudge in the direction of the beach. A G & T would be nice, but it will have to wait until a more appropriate time, say, in a few hours time... ;)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Miki

Post by Miki »

A few weeks ago I've introduced a 21 year-old friend to the world of Metas. We've been doing the puzzles together. It's interesting to see how much life experience plays a role in solving these puzzle.

Lou Gramm, Gary Cooper, and Mr. Geller are all such household names for us and so foreign to someone born in 2000.

He did look up a video showing the mind spoon bending trick. While he watched that, I came ashore.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore! Nice one Matt.

I solved the grid hours ago and went down some rabbit holes.
I had some wine and ate dinner, then took another look at it and the answer popped into my head. It's kind of like how Acarl solved it.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 pm
woozy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:52 pm What do you mean you guys have submitted? I can't even find the dang thing. Where is it?
www.wsj.com/articles/double-trouble-fri ... 1638460707
I could not find it either! Not sure what is going on or where you all found it but thanks for posting it.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! Before solving I asked my husband if he knew a seven-word phrase that contained certain words. He looked at me like I had lost my mind. When will I learn to stop asking for his help in solving the meta? I guess I need to compare it to him asking me for advice on a tricky golf shot. I tried to play; I really did! I even took golf lessons. Now, almost 40 years later, let's just say that I am perfectly content to be a golf widow.
Sara
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Is "I'm hanging out with Isaac this week" the answer? Because that's all I've got.

Update: Ashore. See below somewhere.
Last edited by Dplass on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. I enjoyed this one very much. A little different but satisfying once I put it all together. Well done Matt.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Fun puzzle.
woozy

Post by woozy »

First time I've ever been stumped in this manner before but.... I am utterly and completely stumped.... Which is weird when one can see exactly what is going on.

EDIT: Oh my gosh! What a click moment! VERY different type of puzzle.

Got it but had to chew on it quite a bit.

So on shore and I don't know what I'm having but whatever it is make it a double.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Miki wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 pm A few weeks ago I've introduced a 21 year-old friend to the world of Metas. We've been doing the puzzles together. It's interesting to see how much life experience plays a role in solving these puzzle.

Lou Gramm, Gary Cooper, and Mr. Geller are all such household names for us and so foreign to someone born in 2000.

He did look up a video showing the mind spoon bending trick. While he watched that, I came ashore.
For what it's worth... I don't know who Lou Gramm is.....
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Darth

Post by Darth »

On Naboo. Looks like I made it to page 1...relatively speaking. Just quite a lot of you on page 1 with me. Crowded beach tonight, and it's happy hour.