Capital Losses

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Just getting to this one after a busy pre-Tgiving week. solved and submitted (without the hints) on crosshare and officially OTC!

Classic mechanism type whose steps unroll in a satisfying way — enjoyed!
The other Wendy. :roll:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

(Un)officially off the couch. Good one Jay! I won't lie - - yes I did look at the nudges. Like a mosquito to a bug light . . . . .
hoover

Post by hoover »

Got it before the nudges came in, but now that I've seen the nudges, I see something amazingly clever that I totally missed!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally off the couch! Had an error in the grid that tripped me up.
Heidi
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Totally lost, even with cheating and getting the answer.

At least there's leftovers.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The answer is KIEV.

The entry for each starred clue consists of the first letters of state capital, e.g. FRAN. The entry symmetrically opposite contains the last letters of the same capital, FORT. The middle letter, K, has been excluded. The missing letters are, in order, K, I, E, and V, This is the transliteration for the Russian name for the capital of Ukraine. It has since been replaced by the Ukranian spelling, Kyiv.
Capital solution 550.jpg
The fifty solvers are
Capital Solvers.jpg
At least one solver pointed out the inconsistency that while the cities in the grid are capitals of US states, the city in the answer is the capital of a country. I did not respond with a comment ending in Sherlock.

There is a glaring mistake in the clues. Elizabeth II (9Down) is not HRH. She is Her Royal Majesty. Royal Highnesses are other members of the monarch’s family, or something like that. The explanation in Wikipedia was too complicated for me to understand. I had no idea — no solvers here mentioned it so maybe it wasn't so glaring — and I would have remained blissfully unaware of my faux pas if my niece had not pointed it out to me this weekend. This new bit of knowledge was not one of the things I was thankful for.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

The whole state country thing was very odd/off to me too.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Well, the amazingly clever thing I missed was only the entire second half of all of the capitals, symmetrically placed in the grid! I solved it using only the first halves. So of course I started out with FRANKFURT, MADRID, before realizing there isn't a world capital that starts with PHO or NASH.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I liked this puzzle a lot. I briefly went down a rabbit hole of bygone currencies between the Capital Losses title and FRAN in 1A (thinking Franc) but couldn’t make it work for the others, of course. Eventually I landed on the answer. Thanks for the puzzle - very fun.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com