Gained in Translation

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Hors du canapé! (Does this REALLY mean “off the couch”?)

Tres bien!

Dare I say, Dr. Tom, a work of puzzling, ahem, art?

I very much enjoyed this one. Kinda worked backward to it, and I needed another Muggle’s help to complete the process. But even with all that, une belle aha!
ChrisKochmanski

hcbirker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 pm I did NOT get 59 across without the downs!
I don’t get it, what’s so hard about 59a? I didn’t even have to think about it. You should see my 59a!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:19 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm Hey, gentlemen, I knew 59A sans Google! My father used to sing that song and my mother would chime in with "Mairzy Doats"!
LOL, tell the truth—you had the 45 when you were growing up
My 45s were mostly by the Monkees! :oops:
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm Got the grid and am working on the meta

What I want to know is how old is the youngest person who got 59A without either the down words or having to look it up

The doctor is dating himself (and me)
I knew it straight away. I'm 50. Anyone younger?

Edit: Turns out I really am only 50!
Last edited by benchen71 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

auee89 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:50 pm Still working the grid. But have to comment on 59A. We watched "Elf" this weekend for the 100th time (or so) and this particular scene comes to mind. My wife still cringes.
I've never watched _Elf_ (can't stand Will Ferrell), but this song was on the B-side of the Snoopy and the Red Baron album.

Edit: It's on the A side, 4th track: https://www.discogs.com/release/1046295 ... -Red-Baron
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Without looking it up, does anyone know who sang the song? I did not.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

hoover wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm
I've never watched _Elf_ (can't stand Will Ferrell), but this song was on the B-side of the Snoopy and the Red Baron album.

Edit: It's on the A side, 4th track: https://www.discogs.com/release/1046295 ... -Red-Baron
I agree with you re: Will. Not a fan. But Elf makes me smile. Maybe this is the only role for him. Like Keanu Reeves. He is Bill in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and will never be anything beyond that to me
Kevin
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off the divan... Well, I gained some basic knowledge, so that's something. ;)

Fun puzzle and meta! Thanks, Dr. Tom
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Good puzzle, thanks Dr. Tom. I got the grid and the meta I think - submitted answer, will edit if I am off the couch (or not).

[Edit: confirmed, off the couch]
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:26 pm Hors du canapé! (Does this REALLY mean “off the couch”?)

Tres bien!

Dare I say, Dr. Tom, a work of puzzling, ahem, art?

I very much enjoyed this one. Kinda worked backward to it, and I needed another Muggle’s help to complete the process. But even with all that, une belle aha!
Gosh I don't know, I thought that meant someone got mixed up trying to decide if there should be hors d'oeuvres or hors d'oeuvres made by a tart... :D

I'd go for : J'ai quitté le divan
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 pm
hcbirker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 pm I did NOT get 59 across without the downs!
I don’t get it, what’s so hard about 59a? I didn’t even have to think about it. You should see my 59a!
Well THERE'S a pick-up line if I ever heard one.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Off the couch. Great meta, Dr. Tom. Now I know the meaning of subterfuge !
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:33 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 pm
Well THERE'S a pick-up line if I ever heard one.....
Hey keep it PG here :-P
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm Hey, gentlemen, I knew 59A sans Google! My father used to sing that song and my mother would chime in with "Mairzy Doats"!
Well mine would also sing Mairsy Doats and Bird in a Gilded cage, but those were certainly not contemporaries of the wonderful "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight by Lonnie Donegan." It hit #5 in the Billboard Hot 100 and its running mates were "I Fall to Pieces", "Take Good Care of my Baby" and the classic "Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp".

I was accomplished enough that I could catch the gum on my tonsils and heave it left and right....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:49 pm

My 45s were mostly by the Monkees! :oops:
Mine were mostly by Colt! :lol:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:53 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm Got the grid and am working on the meta

What I want to know is how old is the youngest person who got 59A without either the down words or having to look it up

I knew it straight away. I'm 51. Anyone younger?
Heck I figured they might call them something different in Australia! :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, we have had a busy first day and I'm delighted. Those in our decouched ensemble are:
Mme
Tom Wilson
Woozy
Laura M
Madhatter5
Dannyvee
Rpardoe
oldjudge
boharr
hcbirker
Meg
ky-mike
Wendy Walker
Bird Lives
ChrisKochmanski
dudeski
Bob cruise director
Darth
MarkWoychick
Dow Jones
Carolyn
ChrisKochmanski

Oddly, it was always “Did Your Bubblegum Lose Its Flavor …” when we sang it way back when in the ‘hood. That’s what I thought it was. Anyone else? Hmm … Wonder why we made that schoolyard change. Musta preferred the sound of “bubblegum”.
hoover

Post by hoover »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:53 pm

I knew it straight away. I'm 51. Anyone younger?
I noticed you edited your age. Happy birthday?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

It was chewing gum in the Bronx. My neighborhood really was the hood.