MEOW #56 Word Association

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Going to have to wait for some nudges on the meta, but I agree the grid was tough. Love the sheer audacity of 13D. :lol:
The other Wendy. :roll:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Confirmed by the good doctor in his oh, so droll fashion.
Out of the word box -
Capturescrabblecat.JPG
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The cat is free — and thinking, “Wow, I haven’t thought of that song for a looooooong time!” (Old cat.)

Good one! Thanks, Dr. Tom!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat has escaped. 🐱
Cindy Heisler
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
KayW

Post by KayW »

These cool cats are out of the bag, man, and digging the 60s music...
hippycats.jpg
Fun puzzle - thanks, Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Anita

Post by Anita »

The feline is debagged. I liked how one ambiguous element turned out not to matter! Fun puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A few more cat fanciers dribbling in, no doubt everyone is consumed with the WSJCC (which I have yet to catch on to) and the MGWCC (the "solve on Christmas" part which was just made harder!):

13 Woozy
14 Abide
15 MarkWoychick
16 Whinsy
17 ChrisKochmanski
18 Cinny
19 Joe Ross
20 KayW
21 Anita
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Needed the bag loosened a bit from the outside for this cat to escape. Fun puzzle @DrTom, always enjoy your clueing too!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well three more solvers, two who must have been waiting up for Santa and one who got the answer as a Christmas present (and I am assured this was while flying with his wife - who helped solve - so he did not get the "lump of coal" look from his significant other).

22 Hammertime
23 runart
24 rjy
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Were you looking for me?
christmas kitty.jpg
Christmas Nudges

Hopefully a Christmas present you’ll really appreciate!

The title “Word Association”, for one thing, tries to move you towards associating something with the theme answer word or words

I suppose you could associate any number of things, but for this I want you to associate only a number

BIG So, If one of the theme clues had been “Why did the pair of robbers say they knocked over the bank?” and the answer had been “FOR THE MONEY”, you would probably immediately think of 2 FOR THE MONEY. Or if the clue had been “A week's worth of the absolute worst things” and the answer had been DEADLY SINS you would think of 7 DEADLY SINS. That is what you have to do to solve the puzzle.

Merry Christmas Muggles!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

We Think the cats out of the bag…. With help from nudges aka Christmas gifts! Fun meta to do on Christmas Day with my daughter ( Regfish7)!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The cat peeped out of the bag on first glancing at the title and prompt. Right church, wrong bag. It took much nudging to achieve full feline freedom.
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it....needed the nudges. Thanks, DrTom!
Cynthia
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Cat may be out of the bag. Awaiting confirmation.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:41 am Cat may be out of the bag. Awaiting confirmation.
Confirmed
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well all you intrepid cat releasers, 29 of you freed Mittens, and he is eternally grateful (purring like the little machine he is!).

The last rush to release had these unbaggers:
25 Bird Lives
26 Ergcat
27 CPJohnson
28 Sewyoung
29 bhamren

So, on to the reveal for those who are interested.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The title of the Meta gives you a hint towards the mechanism and the answer!

Word Association usually is taken to mean something that you say when I say something else, so SALT/PEPPER, NIGHT/DAY. But it can also mean something you associate with a word and for meta solvers what better than a number! All the starred theme answers have a number that is commonly associated with them. So, STATES, HOURS, etc

As we have all learned from doing this, when you get a number, you are supposed to pick that square to get a letter, and you can see from the above that if you do that you get WINDY, a well-known song (as the song says "everyone knows its Windy") from the 60's.

There was even another "nudge" in the title as mentioned because WINDY was performed by The Association, as a matter of fact it was one of their biggest hits, making #1 on three different charts.

I will apologize for THREE TIME LOSER - apparently that is not as common a term as I thought. It is so in my parlance, perhaps a generational thing, that it never occurred to me that it would be many folks' sticking point and one many found only with a backsolve. I tried to clue it to give a hint since the clue says a "clock that loses 10 seconds every 8 hours" - essentially a three-time (a day) loser.

Thanks to all who gave it a shot!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:30 pm I will apologize for THREE TIME LOSER - apparently that is not as common a term as I thought. It is so in my parlance, perhaps a generational thing, that it never occurred to me that it would be many folks' sticking point and one many found only with a backsolve. I tried to clue it to give a hint since the clue says a "clock that loses 10 seconds every 8 hours" - essentially a three time (a day) loser.
Ha! I was unfamiliar with the phrase, but guessed at TWO-TIME LOSER (and Google backed me up to some extent) which just happened to work also! The 3x/day clue went right over my head :-)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I fumbled a little with LOSER, decided on a Two-Time version and got the correct answer anyway.
Sometimes close enough works good enough! :)

Edit a minute later -
(I see we're attuned today, Laura!)