Put some English on it

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Newest upstanding people (I mean if you are not sitting on the couch you must be standing right?)

42 JeanneC
43 mindle
44 sharkicicles
45 CPJohnson
46 bhamren
47 MamaE
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Slowing to a trickle, but still faster than treacle, new solvers:

48 Snood
49 markhr
50 MaineMarge

OK, I've hit the half century mark - lets go for a record!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Off the couch and into my favorite seat by the fire.
1F2C2D66-00B9-4CF6-9EBD-00F6B73CC230.jpeg
Well! “Looks like someone is sleeping in my chair,” said no-longer Goldilocks.
Nice one, Dr. Tom.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Off the couch.

(I imagine I could find it elsewhere, but from whence did the expression "off the couch" come? This is my first time posting to this forum.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

“Off the Couch” backstory

I’ll take credit for this one; the couch is just a metaphor for the WSJ boat. Here is the thread from Week 3 of MMM (by a newbie constructor named Alex Sisti):

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=414

Due to Covid in 2020, there was no ACPT but a "Crossword Tournament From Your Couch". That's likely where I got it from. Plus I solve most of my puzzles from my couch. 😁
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, 51!

51 iggystan

OK, Nudge Saturday for those who are still trying of who have completely burned out on the WSJCC or MGWCC:

Languages often differ, even the same language (if one can consider English and American the same) when one considers colloquialisms. What I call a soda you may call a pop and another may call a coke (a Meta mechanism once as I remember). This Meta take advantage of that

BIG I asked my English friend for a wrench and he brought me a serving girl. She is cute but won’t help me get this darn bolt off. Guess I should have asked for a spanner,,,
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:51 pmOff the settee!
I think I've been omitted from your list.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:38 pm
hoover wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:51 pmOff the settee!
I think I've been omitted from your list.
You were indeed, I am so sorry. I got caught up PMing back and forth and forgot to add you back on the 12/27/21th, I mean its already a YEAR ago!!! I owe you a fish and chips!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, here we are the end of one year and the beginning of another. Before I do any revealing I want to say how much I enjoy this community. The clever, funny and kind people here have made unmeasurable additions to my life. Our back and forths in the Muggle Zoom and in PMs are often the highlights of my day.

Several years ago I would have told you Metas were kind of silly and a waste of time (mainly because I could not get them!), and writing one would have been quite out of the question. Now I find myself looking at everything and wondering if it could be worked into a puzzle. I’m getting better at it (not good, ask Peter and Al!) but that doesn’t really matter since I do not see a career publishing crosswords in my future. As long as I can make you smile, maybe even chuckle and give the “AHA moment” I’m a happy boy.

So best to all of you this coming year and for many years to come.

OK, now with the puzzle stuff.

I’m sure that several starred clues into the puzzle, particularly since the clues kind of pointed ot their answer, many of you had me pegged:
25A. Compounder of potions, perhaps in a little shop off Piccadilly Circus (1)
PHARMACIST – what is he nuts, a Pharmacist in London would be called a CHEMIST

There were 5 such “Briticisms” in the puzzle and therefore:
English on it colored solve.jpg

I did have a little problem area because I do not know the British legal system. When I lived there I luckily never need a Barrister but was aware of Solicitors. Thus my LAWYER being a SOLICITOR ideally should not have been clued as “arguing at the Old Bailey”. Still most of you got it and didn’t submit CHAPB as a group of Englishmen (as opposed to CHAPA and CHAPC of course).

I had 52 solvers so all of those who think I am not playing with a full deck – obviously you are incorrect. Thanks to all
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:14 am Well, here we are the end of one year and the beginning of another. Before I do any revealing I want to say how much I enjoy this community. The clever, funny and kind people here have made unmeasurable additions to my life. Our back and forths in the Muggle Zoom and in PMs are often the highlights of my day.

Several years ago I would have told you Metas were kind of silly and a waste of time (mainly because I could not get them!), and writing one would have been quite out of the question. Now I find myself looking at everything and wondering if it could be worked into a puzzle. I’m getting better at it (not good, ask Peter and Al!) but that doesn’t really matter since I do not see a career publishing crosswords in my future. As long as I can make you smile, maybe even chuckle and give the “AHA moment” I’m a happy boy.

So best to all of you this coming year and for many years to come.

OK, now with the puzzle stuff.

I’m sure that several starred clues into the puzzle, particularly since the clues kind of pointed ot their answer, many of you had me pegged:
25A. Compounder of potions, perhaps in a little shop off Piccadilly Circus (1)
PHARMACIST – what is he nuts, a Pharmacist in London would be called a CHEMIST

There were 5 such “Briticisms” in the puzzle and therefore:
English on it colored solve.jpg

I did have a little problem area because I do not know the British legal system. When I lived there I luckily never need a Barrister but was aware of Solicitors. Thus my LAWYER being a SOLICITOR ideally should not have been clued as “arguing at the Old Bailey”. Still most of you got it and didn’t submit CHAPB as a group of Englishmen (as opposed to CHAPA and CHAPC of course).

I had 52 solvers so all of those who think I am not playing with a full deck – obviously you are incorrect. Thanks to all
At first I tried to write AUBERGINE in the grid but luckly it didn't fit!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:41 am ]

Yes because although some people would mistakenly think you were out of your gourd you would have been berry close!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:53 pm

Yes because although some people would mistakenly think you were out of your gourd you would have been berry close!
Orange you glad I didn't say "I used my melon"?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:11 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:53 pm

Orange you glad I didn't say "I used my melon"?
Wow, that would have been a peach of an answer, guess I was plum tuckered out, I suppose I had better learn to applely myself more rigorously.
just_a_sec

Post by just_a_sec »

I think that I actually enjoyed seeing the completed puzzle as much if not more than those people who completed the grid and came up with the right solution!! I'm a new member (4 days) and pleased I did as well as I did. Though I did most of the grid, I stalled at my own inability to spell wrought correctly. I tried to use this biblical sounding word spelled "wrout", "wrot", along the lines of "wrath". Could have googled the spelling but I'd rather try to do it the hard way.
Pleased to be part of the group after many years as a WSJ xword lover. Thank you, Dr Tom, for a very delightful day. Can't wait for next Monday!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

just_a_sec wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:00 pm I think that I actually enjoyed seeing the completed puzzle as much if not more than those people who completed the grid and came up with the right solution!! I'm a new member (4 days) and pleased I did as well as I did. Though I did most of the grid, I stalled at my own inability to spell wrought correctly. I tried to use this biblical sounding word spelled "wrout", "wrot", along the lines of "wrath". Could have googled the spelling but I'd rather try to do it the hard way.
Pleased to be part of the group after many years as a WSJ xword lover. Thank you, Dr Tom, for a very delightful day. Can't wait for next Monday!
Well welcome to the board and to the MMM section. There are always a lot of interesting and very solvable puzzles here. Most of us are amateurs and therefore do not have the sophistication, or the complexity, of the WSJ or MGWCC. But its a great place to hone your skills.