MEOW #62 Financial Gains

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, end of day one, nobody has seen their shadow thus far and the cat has stayed out of the bag.

Here's my "Phil" list so far:

1 MMe
2 Meg
3 oldjudge
4 ChrisKochmanski
5 Cap'n Rick
6 Beth Tyrpin
7 boharr
8 hcbirker
9 Carolyn
10 BarbaraK
11 woozy
12 Laura M
13 sharkicicles
14 Dplass
15 dudeski
16 Tom Wilson
17 runart
18 rjy
19 benchen71
20 Dannyvee
21 cbarbee02
22 Mark Woychick
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Cat's gone.
Thanks for the puzzle!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Cat out of the bag!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

The cat's out of the bag.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Nice puzzle there, nice mechanism once I sat down and did some thinking. Pending confirmation...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ok, a few more groundhogs poked their noses up and solved:

23 MamaE
24 Schmeel
25 Dave C
26 ReB

Once again I believe the MEWO has suffered the a drop in our stock because of Wall Street..
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I'm certain you're right, @DrTom. It's that darn MEWO index! (My Energy going into Wordle Only!)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Close - it is My Enthusiastic Wordy Offering!

Obviously people are spending time on a WSJ when they could much more readily enjoy the wonder that is MEWO (or MEOW)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:42 pm Close - it is My Enthusiastic Wordy Offering!

Obviously people are spending time on a WSJ when they could much more readily enjoy the wonder that is MEWO (or MEOW)
Perhaps you could coordinate with Mike to be sure there's a super easy WSJ whenever you have a MEOW coming out.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat FINALLY escaped. But not until after a struggle. This was a SAD one for me. And the MMM is still A Hard Day’s Night! I still have a few hours.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm still stuck, DrTom. Will there be nudges?
Cynthia
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:19 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:42 pm Close - it is My Enthusiastic Wordy Offering!

Perhaps you could coordinate with Mike to be sure there's a super easy WSJ whenever you have a MEOW coming out.
Well gosh, with the success of the Muggles board, and of course the renown of the MEOWs, you would think he's call and ask... :lol: I mean he knows Purrfectly well that the MEOW comes out on Wednesday.
Grumpy.jpeg
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudge Saturday!

Did you notice a lot of longish clues that seemed like they should have been funny but weren't? (and PLEASE don't say, "Oh that is quite usual" or I'll cry!)
Did those longish clues all have something in common? (there are 5)
Bigger The St. Petersburg in the clue is NOT the one just down the road from me in Florida

Hopefully those help those still trying to cash in on this one. Take a break form beating your head on the WSJ and let it led to this MEOW!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Doh! The cat is out of the bag with the help of nudges. Great meta!
cat-shadow.jpg
...once out, he saw his shadow. Or did he?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:21 am Doh! The cat is out of the bag with the help of nudges. Great meta!

cat-shadow.jpg

MEOWers - Kay pointed out that the prompt in the Excel spreadsheet and the one in the PDF and puz file are a bit different and that it initially caused her to question her answer. The file in the Excel left out a few words - it says "Someone who makes money in financial markets" while the PDF and Puz have the entire prompt : The answer is what you call someone who makes money in the financial market

Unfortunately the Excel file is limited in its ability to mimic DrTom verbosity. As people who know me will tell you, anyone who ever says to me "tell me in 10 words or less" will get their desired answer length: "Better to come back later when you have more time"

Sorry if that threw anyone off, I need to be more careful in checking that everything matches.
KayW

Post by KayW »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:24 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:21 am Doh! The cat is out of the bag with the help of nudges. Great meta!

cat-shadow.jpg

MEOWers - Kay pointed out that the prompt in the Excel spreadsheet and the one in the PDF and puz file are a bit different and that it initially caused her to question her answer. The file in the Excel left out a few words - it says "Someone who makes money in financial markets" while the PDF and Puz have the entire prompt : The answer is what you call someone who makes money in the financial market

Unfortunately the Excel file is limited in its ability to mimic DrTom verbosity. As people who know me will tell you, anyone who ever says to me "tell me in 10 words or less" will get their desired answer length: "Better to come back later when you have more time"

Sorry if that threw anyone off, I need to be more careful in checking that everything matches.
@DrTom that was only a reflection of the fog of stoopidity that seems to encase my brain week. I spotted the alternate phrasing just AFTER I submitted, and it made me second-guess that what I sent to you was the final answer. It didn't hinder me at all in the solving process. Believe me, I've been hindering myself just fine all on my own on several metas this week!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Obviously people have solved the WSJ and, after a period of puzzle withdrawl, are returning to the MEOW. Well I say WELCOME BACK!
come-to-me-dr-evil.gif
New to the solving leader board:

27 lbray53
28 KayW
29 CPJohnson
30 Cinny
31 Abide
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sunday, a day of rest...and perhaps scurried attempts to solve WSJ? Just one more cat releaser today

32 joequavis

Tomorrow a visual nudge, maybe more like a push, in case there are some last minute Cat fanciers.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

As promised a visual nudge/shove for any still struggling with that darn bag full of cat:

Burmese.jpg
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cat is out of the money bag... (Yeah, sometimes the puns can get a bit "coiny"... :P ) Thanks for the puzzle, Dr. Tom.
Attachments
cat financial gain.jpg