"It's What I Do!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OK, I think I’m off the couch, pending confirmation, after I got half the answer and an assist from Al

Edit: confirmed - thanks for the puzzle, Al - very clever and fun
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

This one is so difficult that I need nudges simply to complete the grid!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still struggling here……
Cynthia
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Tomorrow is Wednesday! I have not found either answer.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I am pretty sure I have figured out what’s going on here, and like the idea, but can only get to a/the next step with one of the things. Am messaging Al now for the proper sort of nudge I need.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tuesday night leaderboard:

1 Abide (TS)
2 Woozy
3 Meg
4 Rpardoe
5 Dannyvee
6 ChrisKochmanski
7 Dave C
8 boharr
9 Schmeel
10 Wendy Walker
11 oldjudge
12 MarkWoychick
13 MMe
14 dudeski
15 Darth

...and several more who have Part a., but not the whole thing yet. Yes, it is tougher than we're normally used to, but don't we like a challenge every once in a whi... HEY, PUT DOWN THAT PITCHFORK!!! Okay. I originally had only Part a. as the answer, but Peter noted it could be solved super-easily, without ever needing the mechanism(s), so I had to add another level (which I knew all along I should have done). Was it clever? Showing off? Mean? All three? More discussion later... and nudges in a few hours. I do want everyone to solve it before we're done!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Thanks for the pep talk, @Al Sisti. Although, I'm not sure about the "super-easy" solve. I, for one, have no idea what to do with the 1 clue I think I've uncovered in the grid. I am very much looking forward to those nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:08 am Tuesday night leaderboard:

1 Abide (TS)

...and several more who have Part a., but not the whole thing yet. Yes, it is tougher than we're normally used to, but don't we like a challenge every once in a whi... HEY, PUT DOWN THAT PITCHFORK!!! Okay. I originally had only Part a. as the answer, but Peter noted it could be solved super-easily, without ever needing the mechanism(s), so I had to add another level (which I knew all along I should have done). Was it clever? Showing off? Mean? All three? More discussion later... and nudges in a few hours. I do want everyone to solve it before we're done!
For the record, the test solver was perfectly happy with the one part, easy meta. 😇
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Happy Nudgeday, all! Here are your helpers:

The clue at the often-important SE corner is the only "fill in the blank" clue... oh wait, it's not!

Those clues also share something else in common (i.e., those celebrities -- not part of the meta, incidentally -- were chosen for a specific reason)

... that commonality relates to the title and the SE corner clue/entry. What do you make of that?

Even if you don't get Part B initially, that is the right approach.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Dang Utica rabbit holes!

Capturerabbitholebutt.PNG

Thanks for the nudges, @Al Sisti.
Looking to free myself before Saturday.
Parade route view is not too good from here.

(Congrats and have a Grand old time!)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

whimsy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:10 am Dang Utica rabbit holes!

Capturerabbitholebutt.PNG

Thanks for the nudges, @Al Sisti.
Looking to free myself before Saturday.
Parade route view is not too good from here.

(Congrats and have a Grand old time!)
Thanks, I will.. I survived through a couple events, today is the flag-raising over City Hall, then painting the green stripe down the parade route on Friday, and then the parade (and all that follows) on Saturday. Weather does not look good.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Maybe off the couch after nudges. Have submitted; waiting to see if I got it right...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Abide wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:59 am
Al Sisti wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:08 am Tuesday night leaderboard:

1 Abide (TS)

For the record, the test solver was perfectly happy with the one part, easy meta. 😇
Pondering relative credibility of Sisti vs. Abide ... pondering ...
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Dplass wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:15 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:55 pm I'm already having to apologize for the clue for 66D. And I do. Sometimes the things that pop into my head should stay there.
I love that clue!
It is very clever, but the visualization is stomach churning. :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:21 am Maybe off the couch after nudges. Have submitted; waiting to see if I got it right...
Nope; I was wrong... will have to ponder some more....
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:57 am
SewYoung wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:21 am Maybe off the couch after nudges. Have submitted; waiting to see if I got it right...
Nope; I was wrong... will have to ponder some more....
(PM me if you want another nudge)
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Well, I needed a lot of help from @boharr and @Wendy Walker, but I'm finally off the couch!

Sheesh! I think it took me less time to write "Warren Piece"! :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got Part A. Working on Part B.
Heidi
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Have rolled off the couch! Fun puzzle. No 🐇🐇!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Okay I'm off the couch! Finally figured out Part B. Thanks Al for the helpful nudges!
Heidi