Well, He Means...

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Off the couch. Thanks Jay!
And off now to sit in the Easter bunny’s lap. Bet his belly feels like jelly…
5E8BB710-CFCD-41A6-8AB3-53B346258D4D.jpeg
Little neighbor Dorothy
dot

Post by dot »

A tisket, a tasket, something fun for our basket! Fun and nice way to start the week.
H & J
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the Couch! Fun, easy one to start the week! Thanks, Jay!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We thoroughly enjoyed the puzzle tonight! Thanks so much! Happy Easter... Passover and Marathon Monday to everyone!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

We close Day Two with another thirteen solvers added to the list:
56. Snood
57. BrennerTJ
58. Naptown Kid
59. Rufus T Firefly
60. HeadinHome
61. madhatter5
62. dot
63. cwillmore
64. Gmoney
65. Bob cruise director
66. LB800
67. markhr
68. DebbieC

I've also gotten some fine additional theme clue/entry suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Interesting grid and a fun start to the week. Thx Jay!
vandono

Post by vandono »

Oh, how I needed this. I don't think I've had more than an hour to spend on puzzles in almost a week. I needed a win. Thanks, Jay!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

It’s Wednesday, aka Nudgeday. Unfortunately, with a puzzle at this level of difficulty I imagine people are saying
Sierra Madre.jpg
Nevertheless, in this week of ceremony and ritual, we will keep to our age-old traditions. The first nudge is one that DrTom was nice enough to contribute.

Eat one for the Gipper

And two more to ensure that your Easter basket runneth over with nudges.
Some of the long entries are real words or names — the sort of thing you might come across in everyday life. Those are irrelevant, mere grid-fillers. Pay no attention to them.
Some long entries are ridiculously contrived phrases that nobody would ever use in actual writing. Those are the ones to listen to.
Jay
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Thanks Jay! Confirmed on Crosshare.
Kevin
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Thanks for the sweet little puzzle. Off the couch.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks, Jay! The solution was fun. The grid was particularly tough for us and took quite a while to complete.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Just sayin, @Bird Lives , you’re a real fungi.thanks for all the fun you contribute to all us Muggles who appreciate fun and clever guys. ❤️❤️
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Have been off the couch since Monday, but just now had a chance to post. Fun puzzle.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Time’s up. Pencils down. We’ve come to the great reveal for this meta that has kept so many scratching their heads. Or maybe not so many. Maybe not any. We had 80 solvers.
Solvers 4-17.jpg
The answer was JELLY BEANS. The four theme entries and the title are all rhymes, and as far as I know the only Easter-adjacent rhyme I know for that pattern is “Jelly Beans,” though as I admitted in the intro, my knowledge of Easter traditions is incomplete.
Easter Solution 450.jpg
Only three solvers were inspired to offer, and two of these included green rubber boots for mucking about in the garden.

Hep hives - swell bee scenes. (KayW) I like the historic touch of hep for swell. It reminded me of the line from Dave Frishberg's song "I'm Hip." "When it was hip to be hep, I was hep."

Woman who has a closetful of green gardening boots (Wendy Walker)

Two from Whimsy.
Whimsy.jpg
Welly Freans.
and
Whimsy 2.jpg
Thanks to all solvers. I’m just a tad disappointed that nobody mentioned the clue that I was proudest of:
21A. Uncle who said, "With great power comes great rice"?
Maybe it would have been better as “With great rice comes great responsibility.”
Jay
MsMonkeyGirl

Post by MsMonkeyGirl »

Hi there! A lurker and a newbie here. :shock: I'm working my way through these great meta puzzles trying to get myself 'off the couch' as the kids say nowadays ;) , and I'm proud to announce to zero fanfare, I'm sure, that 'jelly beans' was my first! Phew! :D