MGWCC #727 — “Don’t Look Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I can’t believe I’m having so much trouble with a week 2. I thought I saw two good hints but they have led me nowhere. Nonetheless I keep trying the same thing over and over. I will take a very gentle nudge if anyone has one.
burghman

Post by burghman »

SusieG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:40 pm I can’t believe I’m having so much trouble with a week 2. I thought I saw two good hints but they have led me nowhere. Nonetheless I keep trying the same thing over and over. I will take a very gentle nudge if anyone has one.
Remember… this is the delayed Week 5 from April so don’t kick yourself too hard for not getting far.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Thanks @burghman I feel a little better now. Although I feel dumb about missing the week 5. 🤪
MMe

Post by MMe »

Way mean.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

burghman wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm
SusieG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:40 pm I can’t believe I’m having so much trouble with a week 2. I thought I saw two good hints but they have led me nowhere. Nonetheless I keep trying the same thing over and over. I will take a very gentle nudge if anyone has one.
Remember… this is the delayed Week 5 from April so don’t kick yourself too hard for not getting far.
Five is an understatement.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SusieG wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:53 pm Thanks @burghman I feel a little better now. Although I feel dumb about missing the week 5. 🤪
If there were a 7 week month, and this was #7, it might still not have been placed correctly. This bad boy taxed EVERYONE, Heck even after I knew the mechanism it took me a long time to get the answer...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

Anyone awake at this late hour that can help with a nudge? My wife and I are baffled by this one. Found several things that made us say “hmmm, that’s interesting and surely meaningful” … but nothing more.
Jed

Post by Jed »

Had the breakthrough with two friends yesterday while cooking dinner - I kept running away from the stove to look at the grid and scribble things down. WAY impressed with Matt’s construction.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Did we ever find out who "Solver Zero" was? No one I know solved it solo. Please announce yourself if you did -- no false modesty!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 am Did we ever find out who "Solver Zero" was? No one I know solved it solo. Please announce yourself if you did -- no false modesty!
In the viral strain of my Zoom-infection, @dk letter had the initial, critical "Have you noticed...?" with @BrennerTJ following through. This was well past the first couple of dozen solvers' submissions, but independent of them.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:00 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 am Did we ever find out who "Solver Zero" was? No one I know solved it solo. Please announce yourself if you did -- no false modesty!
In the viral strain of my Zoom-infection, @dk letter had the initial, critical "Have you noticed...?" with @BrennerTJ following through. This was well past the first couple of dozen solvers' submissions, but was independent of them.
Thanks for the recognition, Joe! I was happy to contribute but was discouraged when we hung up from the Zoom without any of us having been able to pull the thread further. When @BrennerTJ reported the next morning that she used the starting point and followed through to the end, that inspired me to do the same. I submitted as a non-solo solve, however!
photosurrealism

Post by photosurrealism »

With work, I completely spaced this and I am lost. Any 11th hour help for me? (Yes, someone did, and I think I've got it now! Thanks!)
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Well, I'm fully prepared to miss this one, but... would appreciate a nudge/hint (subtle or even not-so-subtle) to see if I can pull the rest out of my behind in time. :lol: I'll need a hint for starting from scratch though, because I've basically gotten nowhere so far... I mean, things smell funny, but so many things smell funny that I don't trust my nose anymore :lol:
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'll take a nudge on this if anyone is offering :)

Edit: I have been nudged, no need for further nudging, thanks!
Last edited by spotter on Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

dk letter wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 am
Joe Ross wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:00 am
In the viral strain of my Zoom-infection, @dk letter had the initial, critical "Have you noticed...?" with @BrennerTJ following through. This was well past the first couple of dozen solvers' submissions, but was independent of them.
Thanks for the recognition, Joe! I was happy to contribute but was discouraged when we hung up from the Zoom without any of us having been able to pull the thread further. When @BrennerTJ reported the next morning that she used the starting point and followed through to the end, that inspired me to do the same. I submitted as a non-solo solve, however!
@dk letter It will be interesting to see the number of solo solvers tomorrow when Matt posts the statistics. My guess is that it will be well below 10%

A fair but very tough one.

No complaints here about needing help.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

I just have to say, this forum is full of amazing people. Several of you have gone well above and beyond to help out, especially @MountainManZach and @DrTom. Hopefully we can return the favor some day.
mindle

Post by mindle »

gpj73 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:38 pm I just have to say, this forum is full of amazing people. Several of you have gone well above and beyond to help out, especially @MountainManZach and @DrTom. Hopefully we can return the favor some day.
Agreed!
The weekend got away from me, or I would have loved to have joined that zoom solve! I actually thought the deadline was tomorrow, and thank DrTom for the last minute nudge. Very cool puzzle!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Thanks to a couple of hints, I made my way to the solution. Never would’ve seen it without help. Another amazing meta construction.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 727 Dont Look Down XW-M reveal C3.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MGWCC Solution.jpg
Jay