Tally Who?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

With help from Cap'n Rick and google I am off the couch. Also learned a few new terms
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are waiting patiently for Wednesday nudges!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

First answer submitted 👎. Second one submitted makes much more sense. I think I am…I think I am…I think I am…off the couch (clicking my heels all the way).
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

After a course correction from the Cap'n I am off the couch!
Heidi
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Off the couch - just put two and two together after banging my head against the wall for a while. Chased a couple of rabbits before getting the solution, but I got there in the end. Thanks for the puzzle, @Cap'n Rick, and safe travels on your vacation!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Got it with an early hint from Cap’n Rick. Thank goodness Crosshare allows multiple guesses. And only a couple of my incorrect answers were spelling errors.

Very clever. I liked this a lot.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Okay, I know a few of you have been waiting patiently, so without further ado I give you the Wednesday Nudges:

The original title for this puzzle was "Tally-Ho!"- the traditional huntsman's cry when the quarry has been sighted.

After you've found all (7) of the hunted critters, look for alternate clues that fit the new words/phrases that are formed.

Take a look at the first letters of the original answers to the alternate clues (in grid order).

In my intro I was going to say that Wendy and her "family" had "ties" to this particular sport.

It turns out that the "Family Ties" star's real name is not what everyone thinks it is. His middle "initial" is "faux". :D

Reminder: At the end of the day on Wednesday I'll be turning this post over to @Wendy Walker, who has graciously agreed to manage things through Sunday's reveal. Please include Wendy on your PMs if you want to be eligible for the PRIZE she will award to one lucky solver chosen at random. (Note: If you solve on Crosshare, please follow up with a PM to Wendy, because she will not be able to see the results there.)

Good luck everyone, and thank you for solving!
Cap'n Rick
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Annoyingly I didn't get it although It is one of my favorite spirit animals but then again I had never heard of three out of 4 of these critter phrases and I hadn't heard that particular pronunciation before I guess it makes sense I wouldn't get it. Which is too bad as I'd have really have liked to have gotten it as I have such a fondness for these critters.... the figurines on my wedding cake were too of these.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged off the couch. Excellent meta, Cap'n Rick.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch!
Cindy Heisler
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Day 2 - A strong showing with 19 more Muggles off the couch bringing our total to 33 solvers:

Darth
DIS
whimsy
Ergcat
KayW
Ergcat
KayW
minimuggle
Bird Lives
JeanneC
hcbirker
MarkWoychick
lbray53
woozy
Dow Jones
Jeremy Smith
Laura M
Cinny
TeamDoubleTow

Reminder: From this point forward, please PM @Wendy Walker with your questions and/or answers. Wendy will be overseeing things through the reveal on Sunday. Thank you, solvers, and thank you, Wendy!!!

Until next time,
Cap'n Rick
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Pulled off the couch.
Fun one!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, with help from Cap'n Rick and Cinny. Great puzzle!
Cynthia
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We were double towed off the couch by Cap'n Rick. What a masterful puzzle! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am off the couch with more than a little assistance from WLW. Great meta and grid. Well done Cap'n
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rjy

Post by rjy »

Took a 2x4 to the head, but that got me off the couch… nice one, Cap’n!
Ray
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I really liked this one, though I needed a firm shove.
It was educational too. A couple of the theme entries I knew to be words but had little knowledge of their meaning, knowledge which would have been helpful in step two of the mechanism.
Jay
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Hmmm. I'm either onto something or going down a huge rabbit hole, which could describe 95% of my journeys. Going to see if I can withhold nudges until tomorrow, but we'll see what happens!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Happy to report that Schmeel, CP Johnson, RJY, PatPatchica, Brenner TJ, Anita, Tyrpmom, IK Snamhcok, Laura M, Cindy H, Carolyn, BBaack, Dr. Tom, Barbara K, and our esteemed Cruise Director are now off the couch and have been entered into the special MMM Prize Drawing!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I was way off, but the first couple of nudges helped. Great metanism and a great puzzle!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters