"Oh, Hi Paul!”

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Got it after a few wrong submissions. I'd be happy not to see another list of Paul Simon songs!!
Cindy Heisler
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Confirmed through Crosshare: Off the couch (with nudges)! Thanks for the puzzle, Peter!
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

CPJohnson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:58 pm Got it with the 2nd nudge.
Ditto, here. Funny, I had told myself earlier that I should [do nudge 2]. Wish I'd listened! Nice click anyway.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nudge #3

This is your final shot at redemption. The title and the theme entries have something in common, as suggested in Nudges 1 and 2
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Thanks for the puzzle, Peter! I should have said that in my original post - I was in a hurry when I wrote this morning, but that’s no excuse for bad manners on my part.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch. Thanks Peter!
Heidi
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Wow! I am so dense. Still struggled after all three nudges but finally made it. My favorite part of the experience was that nudge#1 pointed to the answer in two different ways.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We needed all the nudges. Thanks for the fun excuse to review Paul Simon songs!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wednesday Night Leaderboard

The nudges have shaken a few more off the couch:

31. DIS
32. MarkWoychick
33. bhamren
34. jhseeman
35. Bbaack
36. CPJohnson
37. Cinny
38. Alvibu67
39. Schmeel
40. mkmf
41. DebbieC
42. Anita & Steve
43. cbarbee002
44. hcbirker
45. lbray53
46. TeamDoubleTow
47. Toast
48. Ash
49. Snood
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

As advertised SAD! Off the couch with help I'm afraid. I gotta tell you I had a great entry for the Guffman "Rabbit Hole" forum, it took a lot of bending and twisting and involves reading the meta directions and then completely discarding them for a bright shiny object/

Anyway, per usual, a satisfying and unmistakable answer. I do wonder about the changed prompt though - we may need more explanation on that for the complete tie in.

Oh, told you I'd post my process and rabbit holes...
Toms Family Circus.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 am As advertised SAD! Off the couch with help I'm afraid. I gotta tell you I had a great entry for the Guffman "Rabbit Hole" forum, it took a lot of bending and twisting and involves reading the meta directions and then completely discarding them for a bright shiny object/

Anyway, per usual, a satisfying and unmistakable answer. I do wonder about the changed prompt though - we may need more explanation on that for the complete tie in.

Oh, told you I'd post my process and rabbit holes...

Toms Family Circus.jpg
I'd buy that on a t-shirt.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am

I wouldn't. But I'd say "I'll buy that on a t-shirt" for encouragement and think I mean it, and then when you make the tee-shirt I'll say "Hey, that's great! I'll take one if you have any extra laying around", and when I see you're web site selling them I'll think "oh, I should buy one to support my friend" but then get side-tracked and frustrated at typing in the 12 digits of my credit card while holding the card with small print at on focal length and looking at my screen at another and thinking "wow, have you really ever thought about your fingers when they type numbers" and eventually not doing anything, but I will say "It's great that you did that! It's a great shirt".
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am

I wouldn't. But I'd say "I'll buy that on a t-shirt" for encouragement and think I mean it, and then when you make the tee-shirt I'll say "Hey, that's great! I'll take one if you have any extra laying around", and when I see you're web site selling them I'll think "oh, I should buy one to support my friend" but then get side-tracked and frustrated at typing in the 12 digits of my credit card while holding the card with small print at on focal length and looking at my screen at another and thinking "wow, have you really ever thought about your fingers when they type numbers" and eventually not doing anything, but I will say "It's great that you did that! It's a great shirt".
Gotcha. We'll send you a free shirt when we make them.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well good t-shirt maybe, but THIS is the one I saw that I thought, "Gotta have it"
Dont be such.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Sadly I'm still on the couch but I'm enjoying all the Paul Simon songs that are floating through my mind
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Dragged off the couch with patient nudging from Peter. Sheesh. i probably should not be doing any work this week where observing the obvious is important. That’s how plans are submitted with a bathroom that is gorgeous but lacks a toilet, or a bedroom has no door.. 🤦‍♀️. Not that I’ve ever done those things.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Thursday Night Update

50. Andrew Bradburn
51. DrTom
52. LindaPRMaven
53. THC
54. mindle
55. HeadinHome-ward bound

Crosshare Stats for Oh, Hi Paul! (Meta)

Total completions: 218
Completions without helpers: 110
Average time without helpers: 0:10:08
Correct contest submissions: 45
Total contest submissions:52
—Brian MacDonald
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 am Toms Family Circus.jpg
It isn't exact, but it reminds me of the Naples Florida Pier - my favorite beach spot.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Off the couch with nudges and more help from Abide.... Thanks for the puzzle and making me think outside of the box. :).
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved without the nudges, and in week 2 time (or maybe 1.5). Fun puzzle, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer