Native Tongue

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Off the 36A couch, Thanks, Jay!
Capturecouchcheese.PNG
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Off the couch! Some fun clues. Liked the earworm at 45D.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Off the couch. it was fun.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:couch_and_lamp: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: Off the Native Tongue couch. Great grid and meta - thanks, Jay!
MouthSofa.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

As we near the close of Day 1, there are 38 solvers and a couple of nice alternate entries. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.
Solvers 7-18.jpg
Jay
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

OTC. Thanks, Jay! Now if I can only figure out MGWCC.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Awaiting whether I am off the couch. Great puzzle and a relief from my “Power Trips” debacle!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow.... I don't know if I've ever quite made something too difficult for so long while actually having figured it out so early.

A beautiful and fun puzzle.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are off the 🛋️ after one attempt where we didn't submit a proper noun. 🤦‍♂️ It pays to read directions.

Fun puzzle @Bird Lives ! Thanks so much!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

After what were some twisted paths and sightings of “oh that has to be it” paths I arrived at the correct, and very fulfilling correct one (where it still took me way too long to finally see the clever twist). Thanks for a romp with the natives Jay!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

On the road yesterday so just got to the puzzle this morning. Confirmed with Jay that I am off the couch. See y"all tonight (or afternoon, for those of you who are out west).
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:18 pm :couch_and_lamp: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: Off the Native Tongue couch. Great grid and meta - thanks, Jay!
MouthSofa.jpg
I acknowledge and appreciate this interesting post, but just can't give it a thumbs up as I find it rather creepy. I will try to put it far enough out of my mind that it does not come back to haunt my dreams. I would not be able to bring myself to sit on that.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Off the couch......of course I stare at the answer say...nah...that can't be it....*(facepalm).

Great puzzle, thanks
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Off the couch. Tried to make it harder than it was. Thanks, Jay, for the grid and meta.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch. Fortunately I didn't puzzle too long before testing for one of my favorite mechanisms. Thanks for an enjoyable meta (even though the grid was an absolute bear).
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Confirmed off the couch. Yay!
Fun meta and great construction. Thanks, JL!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Another day, another 16 solvers.

39. JeanneC
40. SewYoung
41. Tyrpmom
42. Jeremy Smith
43. JM
44. woozy
45. DrTom
46. Teamdoubletow
47. Johnny Luau
48. CPJohnson
49. JHSeeman
50. michaelm
51. Dow Jones
52. ReB
53. Golem
54. Gmoney

Here are your Wednesday nudges — unnecessary probably and not even funny, but who am I to break with tradition?

An alternate title was “Inner City.”

Another alternate title was “Town & Country.”

One of the alternate clue-and-entries submitted by a solver was One hand clapping? SMIDGEN OVATION
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:33 am
KayW wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:18 pm :couch_and_lamp: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: Off the Native Tongue couch. Great grid and meta - thanks, Jay!
MouthSofa.jpg
I acknowledge and appreciate this interesting post, but just can't give it a thumbs up as I find it rather creepy. I will try to put it far enough out of my mind that it does not come back to haunt my dreams. I would not be able to bring myself to sit on that.
Apologies if I gave you or anyone else nightmares. When this came up in my image search list, my thoughts were:
1. WHY?!
2. Who on earth would put or allow this in their home???
3. I HAVE to post this.

#3 may not have been one of my best ideas :lol:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 am
Apologies if I gave you or anyone else nightmares.
Wrong meta!
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Off the couch confirmed, great puzzle!