Household Names

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
boharr

Post by boharr »

No need to apologize, @DrTom , we value your puzzles, your wit, and your wisdom.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I was dragged off the couch with some confirmation from @DrTom and a clever nudge from @HoldThatThought .

Fun puzzle, tough meta, and I will file that mechanism away for future puzzles! Thanks, @DrTom !
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, the new version seems to have opened the tap. This is what happens when you get so close to a topic you are familiar with and assume that everyone else is too. I would have the same problem (often do) with "Breaking Bad" references. Apparently I am one of about 100 people in the world who did not watch that.

Anyway, thank you all for not gathering with torches and pitchforks.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:17 am My household name will be mud...

Ok, I have 10 solvers and that is not the fault of any of you, it is my error. I assumed the same rabid fandom for a particular program that I had. If you are a fan you will probably get it, if not then it is a toss up. Some very good solvers are struggling and that is never my intent. I also misunderstood my tester's comments when they said it was a simple mechanism to mean it was a simple puzzle. They did NOT mean that and if I led anyone to believe it was in any way their fault I am sorry and wrong. This was all me.

So my solvers so far:
1. MMe
2 boharr
3. HoldThatThought
4. Mark Woychick
5. markhr
6. meg
7. edestin
8. HeadInHome
9. woozy
10. Whimsy

I am going to ask Joe to load an amended puz and PDF tomorrow they will be available on the site. Look at these ONLY if you want a much easier path to the solve because the amendment provides a major nudge.

Tom
You forgot me Dr. Tom.
Heidi
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it from the original version, with help from @DrTom and @Cinny. Whew.....so many possibilities!
Cynthia
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I was on the right track, but didn’t get there until the easier version was provided.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:33 am
You forgot me Dr. Tom.
Darn it, this is not my week! Yes, you were solver #2 using the old version!

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Finally. Using the original version, but with help from other solvers.

Thanks, Dr. Tom!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:31 am No need to apologize, @DrTom , we value your puzzles, your wit, and your wisdom.
Echoing this wholeheartedly. I am a better solver, constructor, and - most important - person today because of @DrTom!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
MMe

Post by MMe »

While it could definitely have used some tip-off about the show, it's nonetheless a very smoothly constructed grid and meta.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:32 am
boharr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:31 am No need to apologize, @DrTom , we value your puzzles, your wit, and your wisdom.
Echoing this wholeheartedly. I am a better solver, constructor, and - most important - person today because of @DrTom!
Thank you Mikey, you are WAY too kind.

Tom
KayW

Post by KayW »

My sentiments EXACTLY!!

I'm off the settee with the level 1 version. But given my utter ignorance of the subject matter, I think got pretty darn far on this with the original version!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

My daughter and I stared and stared at the puzzle yesterday…. Nada.But I’ll look again today after reading the additional comments/info! Cheers!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 am Well, the new version seems to have opened the tap. This is what happens when you get so close to a topic you are familiar with and assume that everyone else is too. I would have the same problem (often do) with "Breaking Bad" references. Apparently I am one of about 100 people in the world who did not watch that.

Anyway, thank you all for not gathering with torches and pitchforks.

Tom
I'm with you. Never seen a single second of Breaking Bad or Walking Dead or any Kardashian show. (Or the topic of this MMM, for that matter...)
hoover

Post by hoover »

I have filled in the grid and I think I know what I need to do, but there are far too many British TV shows that fit this theme, and the one/two I picked, had far too many instances of the roles I'm looking for... I'll poke around a bit more, but if I don't find something definitive, I may have to open the simplified version.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it from the simplified version, though I have enough of the requisite knowledge that I probably could have gotten it from the original if I'd been a bit more patient. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Off the couch but I needed the simplified version and lots of internet info! I’d rate the original a 4 as I think it was eminently solvable by smarter solvers than I. Great puzzle!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Forgot to post here but YES I was an early-ish solver. Right up my alley, this one. Not sure if i would have gotten it without the page-1 hints — but i think so. Thanks for the fun!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

We can apparently post again

HOORAY

No pictures though, at least until we figure out if it was a space or a technical issue.

T
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:40 pm I have filled in the grid and I think I know what I need to do, but there are far too many British TV shows that fit this theme, and the one/two I picked, had far too many instances of the roles I'm looking for... I'll poke around a bit more, but if I don't find something definitive, I may have to open the simplified version.
I have now looked at the simplified version and I'm no closer. I see one clue whose wording changed and five clues that now have asterisks.