32. Two-Factor Authentication

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

Hello, everyone! As always, thanks so much for solving these metas. It never ceases to amaze me how passionate the meta community is, and I'm forever grateful to be a part of it!

We had a challenging one last week - and another challenging one this week! The difficulty will reset when August comes, which isn't too far off!

---

1. Puzzle #31 recap

Puzzle #31 answer: UPBEAT

Correct entries: 23 - toughie! (Although I'm fully aware this would've been a high number in 2021, so perspective is everything!)

I love music. You really didn't need to know that to do this meta, and I don't ever want to turn these into, "How well do you know Mikey G?" Here's how I envisioned the plan of attack:

a) The title, coupled with the entries with the parentheticals, seem to give some "almost famous" people toward the end of it (note that the film of the same name also centers on the music industry):

From top to bottom: PINK, ADELE, STING, SEAL, ENYA, CHER.

b) If finding the last letters (KEGLAR?) was all we needed to do, that's fine for a mechanism - but it doesn't quite seem like that would needed to merit the 21-by-21 grid (I wish I could've gotten this down to at least 19-by-19, but it was not to be). Do I need to some other searching?

c) And this might be the misfire, in part, though I do think the puzzle is relatively fair! I presumed a lot more people than just me heard of "Orinoco Flow," Enya's trademark 1988 hit. That pun clue (that is, the flow (water) in the countries in which the Orinoco passes would be AGUA) seemed a bit odd, and if we didn't know what that even meant, I intended a Google search to get that that was an Enya song, and we were off to the races at that point.

d) Elsewhere in the grid, each artist has a song that occupies a clue. In order of the themed entries:

PINK: Try (UNDERTAKE)
ADELE: "Hello!" (PLEASED TO MEET YOU) - I was happy how I was able to get this to intersect as much as it needed to.
STING: Fields of gold (BARLEY)
SEAL: Crazy (ERRATIC)
ENYA: Orinoco flow? (AGUA)
CHER: Believe (TRUST)

Note the first letters of these entries spell UPBEAT, the answer to the meta (and my favorite type of music as well).

I did not intend the oldest song in this array to be from the late 1980s, nor did I even realize that! I love all music, but it does bring up the interesting fact if mononymous musicians tend to lean more toward now than then. I'll have to make another music meta for the '60s and '70s lovers out there next!

---

2. Leaderboard!

---

3. It's time for the Week 5 meta, where anything goes. Shout-outs to @benchen71, @kayw, and @oldjudge for giving this a crack at it behind the scenes!

The answer to the meta is an 8-letter word.

---

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
boharr

Post by boharr »

The puz file is titled 32. Two-Factor Authentication (Test).puz

Hope that doesn't matter to the solve?
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:41 pm The puz file is titled 32. Two-Factor Authentication (Test).puz

Hope that doesn't matter to the solve?
I uploaded the new one - I think there were typos, haha. (Surprise, surprise.)

Dplass

Post by Dplass »

"artist has a song that occupies a clue" wow. Never in a million years. I'd have to have heard of all their songs...
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Comment after the reveal.

EDIT: I need remedial math.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved. You always have the best clues. Thanks. Mikey!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

Got it. Finally. With help. Fantastic grid and meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Excellent puzzle!
LindaPRmaven

Post by LindaPRmaven »

Nudges on the horizon?
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

LindaPRmaven wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:14 pm Nudges on the horizon?
Nudge Wednesday coming soon indeed!

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This one is definitely playing like a Week 5 as advertised, so let's see if these nudges aid in the cause!

1. In the four two-word phrases, the last word is the one that will eventually generate two letters (for a grand total of eight).

2. See if the final four words remind you of something else.

3. Each of these four words - separately, not together - should lead you to a certain something.

4. If you're stuck on that something, think of the title as well!

5. Now, if you have these "certain somethings," we need to figure out what to do with them...and that's for next time!

I am also going to have a Nudge Friday, haha, to see if that gets you the rest of the way home - since I didn't quite divulge my entire hand with these.

Best of luck on your solving trails!

Mikey G

jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am This one is definitely playing like a Week 5 as advertised, so let's see if these nudges aid in the cause!

1. In the four two-word phrases, the last word is the one that will eventually generate two letters (for a grand total of eight).

3. Each of these four words - separately, not together - should lead you to a certain something.

5. Now, if you have these "certain somethings," we need to figure out what to do with them...and that's for next time!

I am also going to have a Nudge Friday, haha, to see if that gets you the rest of the way home - since I didn't quite divulge my entire hand with these.

Mikey G
I'm glad the torture you're putting us through is supplying you with such enjoyment.
hoover

Post by hoover »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am This one is definitely playing like a Week 5 as advertised, so let's see if these nudges aid in the cause!

Mikey G
Um, yeah, that wasn't much help. :?
Spoiler 1: ok
Spoiler 2: uhhhhh.... not really!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeah.... 2) Absolutely nothing.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Still was lost after the nudges, until a Eureka moment while dozing off last night. Still some twists and turns while following the breadcrumbs this AM. And one siren bunny kept calling to me to follow her, until I steered away from that big boulder.
Thanks for several days of fun, Mikey! :P
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Mini-Thursday nudge is in order, I feel, haha:

1. The "link" mentioned in Nudge #2 above is a number, one for each word.

Don't worry, the next puzzle is a Level 1! Thanks for solving and, as always, walk away for a while if need be and come back with a refreshed mind.

Mikey G

woozy

Post by woozy »

EEP!!!!!!
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
hoover

Post by hoover »

MikeyG wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:09 pm Mini-Thursday nudge is in order, I feel, haha:

1. The "link" mentioned in Nudge #2 above is a number, one for each word.

Don't worry, the next puzzle is a Level 1! Thanks for solving and, as always, walk away for a while if need be and come back with a refreshed mind.

Mikey G
That nudge was enough, thanks! Amazing mechanism!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wow! Needed that Mini-Thursday, thankfully aha-preserving nudge, but very cool… thanks, Mikey! (and agree w his comment to just walk away and come back…)
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Final Friday nudges!

1. Based on the mini-nudge from Thursday (which seemed to help!), you should now have four numbers.

2. The title is very helpful now, punning off of the process with logging in (which has nothing to do with anything, haha).

3. All of these numbers have two distinct factors, other than 1 and itself. (To nerd out more, check this link.)

4. Once you determine those numbers, each of those numbers can guide you toward a certain place in the grid!

5. Not really a nudge, but an observation: the order for STEPS is "backwards," but I liked the mechanism too much that I forgave myself for it, haha.

See if that helps! Level 1 coming tomorrow! (Reminder: I still need to clue it.)