Hello, Operator

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

oh that was fun.. and i typically resent puzzles that require .. ahem .. the sort of thinking this required. But even I can do this. What a fun idea!

Off the couch!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Hmm, I am not seeing any path forward. Looking forward to some nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WOW, what a clever meta. I, unfortunately, had to be shoved towards the mechanism but how much fun was that. Great puzzle Mark!!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:49 am Hmm, I am not seeing any path forward. Looking forward to some nudges!
oh, good, I'm not the only one.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Solved and standing proud. We decided to do the puzzle this morning and Cynthia solved it before I even got started! Great job, Mark!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

A little late with the leader board update, but here are the solvers so far - nudges tomorrow!

1 Capn Rick (TS)
2 whimsy (TS)
3 Al Sisti (TS)
4 Abide (TS)
5 wendy walker
6 Cindy Weatherman
7 Meg
8 FrankieHeck
9 Darth
10 Hector
11 rjy
12 lbray53
13 boharr
14 I K Snamhcok
15 KayW
16 woozy
17 dplass
18 Laura M
19 Bbaack
20 oldjudge
21 whimsy
22 Gutman
23 BarbaraK
24 Bird Lives
25 ChemBrewer
26 Schmeel
27 Wendy S HeadinHome
28 DrTom
29 Dannyvee
30 LisaT
31 ship4u
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Fell off the couch while eating lunch! Inspiration as to what to do and where to do it
came clearly! I quickly solved (confirmed on Crosshare)!
Very nice, thank you!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Ergcat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:52 pm Fell off the couch while eating lunch! Inspiration as to what to do and where to do it
came clearly! I quickly solved (confirmed on Crosshare)!
Very nice, thank you!
Looks like I'm the only one now!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Thanks to DrTom for pointing me at the very very very last bit that I needed to make everything click into place. What an exceptionally fun puzzle to play, Mark!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Phenomenal and clever - I absolutely loved this one! Awesome puzzle!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Here's the updated leaderboard:
32 Ergcat
33 edestlin
34 MikeyG

And it’s time for some nudges - the hints below get more specific as you go. I think they will get you to the answer, but if not, let me know and I’ll come up with some more:

If you've completed the grid, you've done two of the three Rs...what's left?

How are you defining the word "operator?" Is there a definition that might fit with the three Rs?

Have you found any operators yet? How might you equate the numbers with a three-word phrase?

While there are numbers in parentheses, rhyming and pastas are not needed to solve. You won't need no stinkin' square roots, either. And whether it is battery or solar powered, your calculator will need only the four most basic functions to solve.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Quickly tried it before looking at the spoilers and jumped off the couch! Great puzzle and meta! I haven't seen one like this before.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Off the couch. Did need 2 of the nudges. Great Meta.

Thanks
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Bravo on this one...I forgot one of the elements of the prompt until I saw the first nudge, then it came into focus quickly. My initial thought process used a totally different interpretation of the title and (numbers).
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I am finally off the couch after being spoon fed the mechanism. What a genius puzzle. It never ceases to amaze me how all of you come up with these metas. Thanks Mark for the puzzle and the help.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I had a blind spot, but I got over it. Off the couch!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges helped! I'm off the couch.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Looked at this off and on (mostly off) since Monday. Saw the first thing to see. Tried some stuff, got nowhere. Did that a few times. Then looked at the first nudge just now and thought, ok, cool, this is already how I was thinking about it. So didn't feel like a big revelation.

And yet, after about five more minutes of looking at it, suddenly saw the path. So the conformation that I was already doing the right stuff seems to have helped my subconscious after all. :lol: :lol:

Fun and well executed. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Really enjoyed this one. Alex filled the grid in yesterday but neither of us had a chance to look at the meta. Tonight over dinner we collaborated. What a fun use of numbers! And even though I am feeling particularly braindead these days, no nudges were needed! Thanks so much for sharing this puzzle @MarkWoychick!
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Confirmed on Crosshare. I worked on it Monday, thought I was doing it incorrectly when all I needed to do was keep going. Nice puzzle, Mark!
Cindy Heisler