"Back Pocket"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

woozy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:26 pm Not only do I not get the meta, I don't get the prompt....
Which isn't to say I'm complaining.

I love a challenge.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Fun puzzle all around.

(Think 42 across meant to reference 28 down.)
Rufus T. Firefly
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:52 pm
(Think 42 across meant to reference 28 down.)
Ah, that makes much more sense than 26D.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ok, finally saw the light. Silly me. TFTP!
Abide

Post by Abide »

rjy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:19 pm
KayW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:43 am :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Fun one! Extra credit submitted...

EDIT: So apparently I found EXTRA extra credit (it was a bit of a stretch). Extra credit re-submitted...
We may be of like mind on this. I got the correct - yet incorrect - extra credit answer, but settled for resubmitting with the incorrect - yet correct - extra credit answer. All in good fun... :lol:
Actually rjy your extra extra credit was different from KayW’s extra extra credit. While both are technically valid, my fifth theme entry that follows the pattern shouldn’t require Google.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I have submitted two extra credit answers, one that I’m pretty sure is Peter’s answer, and an extra one that also works.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

OTC. Thanks for the challenge, Peter.
woozy

Post by woozy »

For the love of .....
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Abide

Post by Abide »

To limit the range of “extra credit answers”, prompt is revised as follows:

The meta answer is a summer rerun. For extra credit, find the two additional words that would make a good fifth theme entry.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

OK, I think I have this iteration solved also.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:53 pm To limit the range of “extra credit answers”, prompt is revised as follows:

The meta answer is a summer rerun. For extra credit, find the two additional words that would make a good fifth theme entry.
I'm not sure I see how that limits things.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. There is a *specific* 5th entry that can be derived from the crossword puzzle... not sure why I wasn't getting that and figured it could be *any* fifth entry.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Light finally went on - solved/confirmed on Crosshare. Also think I have the extra credit and will send it in to confirm. Thanks for the puzzle, Peter - very fun
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Found the grid tough, but just a few googles finished it. Meta took a little while but saying things out loud helped a bit for some reason. once i got that, the bonus entry was easy (and fun!).
off the couch, back to the desk chair for a few more hours :cry:
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ibid to what @HeadinHome aka the other Wendy said except for the back to the desk chair part
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch, with a pending extra credit submission. Nice puzzle!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
markhr

Post by markhr »

Off the couch. Extra credit confirmed.
Fun puzzle.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Submitted and awaiting.
Got an extra credit story: hubby in junior high had an extra credit question on a science class quiz which was: who played the thing in the original movie “The Thing”? He was the only one who got it right. James Arness. And it wasn’t even a meta!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Off the couch and extra credit confirmed.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Confirmed!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch!