"Complete The Square" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Complete The Square" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Well, it's the fifth Tuesday in a month and you know what that means! So here's a tricky grid and what might prove to be a difficult meta. Good luck as you search for the answer to the meta which is an eight letter word.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Complete The Square - Online Form
Complete The Square - PUZ
Complete The Square - PDF
Complete The Square - spreadsheet

Nudges are here and here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

If you find this one too difficult, I have an easier one coming as tomorrow's MEOW. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There have been 4 successful solvers so far:

rjy
Hector
Mr Tex
Gutman

I will therefore release a couple of early nudges momentarily...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

First batch of early nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The title is an instruction. The hint in the central clue suggests what you have to do.

2. But where should you add letters in? I suggest trying to make the biggest square possible.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I’ve crossed the moat though I haven’t fully grokked the whole thing. Looking forward to the explanation.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Definitely needed the nudges! We are too weak during the work week to resist their siren call. Thanks for giving us the satisfaction of a Tuesday solve! Very enjoyable puzzle!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Solved it earlier today, had the benefit of Ben's pre-release packet so I could peek at the nudges. Hit a bunch of rabbit holes, so really needed them!

I waited for more worthy nudge-less solvers to post first but it looks like we were all in the same boat... So in my case, the castle was less "stormed" and more "spring showered". But good challenge, Ben!
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed and stormed!

With the help of the spoilers.

Thanks, Ben!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Completed and De-MOATed. Thanks Ben!
images (19).jpg
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Surprisingly crossed the moat (without the need of the nudges)...thanks for the puzzle Ben!
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:01 am If you find this one too difficult, I have an easier one coming as tomorrow's MEOW. :D
liar.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle:

Nudges across the moat. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Crossed the moat, but it felt a little squishy.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Moat crossed.

Very enjoyable grid and clever meta.

Had already figured out nudge #1, but #2 was a big help.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Yay, the nudges worked! There are more solvers!!

BrennerTJ
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
boharr
Teamdoubletow
markhr
ChrisKochmanski
Darth
Qmark
DIS
KayW
lbray53
Anita and Steve
SJMcK
BarbaraK

which brings us to 19.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more nudges for you:

3. How do you know what letters to add in? Remember, you are trying to "complete the square", so think about synonyms of the word "square".

4. Did you know that a PLAZA is a square?
Jade

Post by Jade »

Needed the hints there, but a really fun meta; thanks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Made it almost to the end but needed a slight adjustment that Ben provided. So I can now climb up out of the water I was in, get on the drawbridge and cross that darn MOAT.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Across the moat. Really clever one. Took the 3rd nudge to set me on the right path.
Matthew
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Struggled at first, but after nudge #2, I knew I was on the right path and just a matter of changing a couple letters. Moat crossed.
Cindy Heisler