"Forming a Bond" 3/19/23 (META)

Puzzles from one of the best in the business which include themed crosswords and metas.
Sunday Crossword by Evan Birnholz
Washington Post Sunday puzzle reveals.
oldjudge

"Forming a Bond" 3/19/23 (META)

Post by oldjudge »

A nice surprise this evening to find a meta by Evan as the Sunday WaPo puzzle. It makes for a great breakfast puzzle, fun and not very taxing. I highly recommend it with donuts and coffee.

The answer to this week's metapuzzle is the missing seventh theme answer, formed by combining two entries in the completed grid
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Very much enjoyed!

Though, in our case, oatmeal and berries with our Sunday morning coffee. Need to get the weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, PSA, creatine, etc., etc. down. Aging is a bummer!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Reminded me of this, from June 17, 2016 (2016?! Seven years ago?! How can that be? Wow, time does fly!)

viewtopic.php?t=277#p12570
(It will spoil the WaPo if you haven’t done it yet.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Another fun puzzle by Evan! Great fun!
Heidi
boharr

Post by boharr »

^That
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Fun solve! Good first meta to attempt to solve.

Thanks to Jay @oldjudge's mention a few months ago, morning glop was a cup of tart cherry juice, ¼ cup of lemon juice, cup of assorted berries, ½ an orange, ½ cup of black grapes, ¾ cup of spinach, a banana, & ¼ cup of flax seed Ninja©ed within a nanometer of liquification.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Just completed this one - thanks for the heads up, @oldjudge! Evan's puzzles are always enjoyable.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:38 pm Fun solve! Good first meta to attempt to solve.

Thanks to Jay @oldjudge's mention a few months ago, morning glop was a cup of tart cherry juice, ¼ cup of lemon juice, cup of assorted berries, ½ an orange, ½ cup of black grapes, ¾ cup of spinach, a banana, & ¼ cup of flax seed Ninja©ed within a nanometer of liquification.
Sounds pretty tart to me. How was it?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I completed this one earlier today. Almost always do the WAPO Sunday puzzles by Evan. Fun one.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:50 pm Very much enjoyed!

Though, in our case, oatmeal and berries with our Sunday morning coffee. Need to get the weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, PSA, creatine, etc., etc. down. Aging is a bummer!
Perhaps, but it beats the alternative
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:04 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:38 pm Fun solve! Good first meta to attempt to solve.

Sounds pretty tart to me. How was it?
Too tart. It isn't, usually.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Just got to this. Fun puzzle!
I don't often check the Wapo puzzle for metas - thanks for the heads up, @oldjudge !
KayW

Post by KayW »

Fun one! Thanks for posting the link.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I cheated and did it while eating ice cream.
(Self-redacting something I'd really like to add! ;) )
Thanks for the heads up, Jay.
ebirnholz

Post by ebirnholz »

Hi all, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoyed the puzzle.

I could be wrong about this but I get the sense from the various "thanks for the heads-up" comments that a fair number of folks here aren't regular solvers of mine. Of course I understand this a forum to talk about metas and there's only so much time in the day and there are way way too many crosswords out there to do them all. But if you enjoy my metas, I hope you'll at least consider coming back each week because I think you'll like my non-meta puzzles too.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ebirnholz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 pm Hi all, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoyed the puzzle.

I could be wrong about this but I get the sense from the various "thanks for the heads-up" comments that a fair number of folks here aren't regular solvers of mine. Of course I understand this a forum to talk about metas and there's only so much time in the day and there are way way too many crosswords out there to do them all. But if you enjoy my metas, I hope you'll at least consider coming back each week because I think you'll like my non-meta puzzles too.
One of the first things I do every Sunday morning is print your puzzle Evan! Thanks for the fun and great construction!
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ebirnholz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 pm Hi all, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoyed the puzzle.

I don't always have time to do them, but if I have solved (or thrown the puzzle in the trash along with my frustrations) all the metas and there is not an Evan Meta I relish the regular ones which are almost as much fun and usually carry their own AHA. If you like crosswords, and of course that is a given if you are reading this, then I highly recommend these always excellently constructed and cleverly clued puzzles, no matter their metaness.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!