Half-and-Half by Josh Rubin

STARTING APRIL 30, 2023

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 meta puzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations. Many of the constructors and test solvers involved with the project are members of the Muggle community. The bundle is available in exchange for a donation to any cancer-related charity. For more information, visit CrosswordsForCancer.com or email CrosswordsForCancer@gmail.com.
AnswerPfinder

Half-and-Half by Josh Rubin

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Half-and-Half by Josh Rubin.

The answer to this meta is something that can be mixed with half-and-half.

ribbonrow.png

This puzzle is part of the CCCC bundle. To access the bundle and for more information, see this post.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Outstanding meta! Great idea, unbelievable construction...
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Thanks to Will for his Herculean efforts on this drive. Next year we should fight the Capricorns.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Yes, this is a good one from @madhatter5. It has its tricky moments, but it all works out nicely in the end!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:32 pm Outstanding meta! Great idea, unbelievable construction...
Well, Al just about says it all, and I'll only add devilish. Thanks, Josh.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow, there’s a lot of meta in that meta! Very nice!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
damefox

Post by damefox »

Very impressive! Also a high number of cryptic-adjacent clues in here that I really enjoyed. I think 29D is my favorite. I'm not sure I understand 62A though.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

damefox wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:36 pm Very impressive! Also a high number of cryptic-adjacent clues in here that I really enjoyed. I think 29D is my favorite. I'm not sure I understand 62A though.
62A:
Early wife? = "Wife of an earl, perhaps"
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

Took me a while but I got there. Yes - quite a construction and fun to solve. Thanks Josh!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Someone made a comment on the recent MEOW (@ChrisKochmanski, maybe?) about the Henny Youngman-esque nature of Josh's cluing - I get a very "Crazy Crossword" vibe as well. There's some great deadpan humor in his grids that I love.

And, yes, the idea and execution of this one is fantastic. Solved and using some half-and-half right now (it makes me whole).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Really enjoyed this masterpiece! Liked 62A and 51D. Thanks, Josh!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Excellent and intricate!
I was stymied for a bit until I realized that I wasn't playing with a full deck.
Untitledcatcards.png
Thanks, Josh!
rjy

Post by rjy »

So great, Josh. Challenging grid with some exceptionally clever and witty clueing, and a terrific aha! when all the pieces fell. Kudos!
Ray
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I think I'm stuck on this one — great cluing, step 1 is brilliant, but what to do next is so far a mystery to me.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cat’s out.

Loved it!

Getting sad, though. Only two more CCCCs to go.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got step 1, but needed a couple of nudges for step 2. Fun stuff, thanks. One more to go.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We did this tonight.. challenging grid and then it took us a while to figure out where to start. Then it took us a while longer to figure out what else to do. Very nice payoff in the end! We have been doing these puzzles completely randomly and have enjoyed the variety. Thanks so much for the crossword@madhatter5 !
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)