MEOW #139 Sound Advice

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:30 am The cat has escaped. A couple of weeks ago actually. I was feeling pretty proud of my quick solve until I remembered that I had the honor of being a test solver.
Love's more beautiful the second time around.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, after I was told to look at the grid carefully. Thanks, @DrTom! Loved the clues!
Cynthia
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat is loose, and grateful that zero algebra was involved! 🤣🤣
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I am claiming a reSOUNDing success:

1 hector
2 benchen71
3 woozy
4 Seamus OL
5 Jeremy Smith
6 Berto
7 Meg
8 JM
9 Qmark
10 boharr
11 JHSeeman
12 Cindy Weatherman
13 DIS
14 Madhatter5
15 Whimsy
16 MatthewL
17 lbray53
18 Pair O Ducks
19 heidi
20 Tyrpmom
21 Cap'n Rick
22 PuzNewbie
23 kurtalert
24 Gutman
25 Sharkicicled
26 markhr
27 Carolyn
28 Shae
29 Bird Lives
30 CPJohnson
31 HeadinHome

Thirty one on the first day . Thank you solvers!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 pm Cat is loose, and grateful that zero algebra was involved! 🤣🤣
Probably never see algebra from me. I am still slogging through the MOAT.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Stared at this off and on all day today, could NOT get a toehold. Until I did… phew! Good one, DrT!
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

I'll take algebra over sound-based puzzles any day. I am so bad at these. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Cat's gone - thanks for the puzzle!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:05 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 pm Cat is loose, and grateful that zero algebra was involved! 🤣🤣
I've had two people very patiently try to explain it to me, and even with the answers in front of me I don't get it. Did I miss an important week of school that I don't know about? I mean, I'm a smart girl. How am I so ignorant of (and terrorized by) this very common bit of high school math??
The other Wendy. :roll:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally let the cat out of the bag - took me a long time to see it, but I got there in the end. Thanks, Dr. Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:40 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:05 pm
I've had two people very patiently try to explain it to me, and even with the answers in front of me I don't get it. Did I miss an important week of school that I don't know about? I mean, I'm a smart girl. How am I so ignorant of (and terrorized by) this very common bit of high school math??
Right there with you. I folded my hand and will wait for the reveal. I slogged through, even finally doing the math (there are sites that I like to call "Places to relearn what you once learned but was so long ago that it is new again") and still cannot get it. It has hit the "number of nudges without seeing anything" limit.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well then; seven more to add to the ranks:

32 rjy
33 ConManAU
34 andeux
35 Alex Sisti
36 Schmel
37 wowitsme
38 Mwoychick
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is out!! Finally saw what I was supposed to see after looking at the grid a million times! Sheeeesh! Fun one, though!
hoover

Post by hoover »

I saw the comments about looking at the grid, opened the puzzle back up to look at the grid, and was smacked in the face with a giant clue. I took hold of it like a kitten with a bit of yarn and away I went!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And still it grows:

39 Ergcat
40 hoover
41 Jaclyn
42 Flora Wynn
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NUDGES:

1A (always a position of importance) is a nudge clue!

Clue 49D is also a nudge!

The title, along with the meta prompt, are trying to get you to get your message across more clearly

That would be particularly important if you were a pilot or someone giving military coordinates wouldn't it?
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat was nudged out of the bag. Excellent meta, Dr Tom. Chef's kiss !!!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat2:
Nudged out of the bag (after missing the obvious. Again.) Fun puzzle and meta. Thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dow Jones wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:43 am The cat was nudged out of the bag. Excellent meta, Dr Tom. Chef's kiss !!!
Ohhh, I remember that puzzle! Thanks for the MWAH!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Leaderboard grow's, but first let me apologize to some solvers who I have not mentioned yet. Apparently Crosshare has a different update schedule than I do so some tings they have I do not. Anyway, my apologies and here is the updated list:

43 Laura M
44 Darth
45 Dow Jones
46 KayW
47 rdavey1287
48 Philip Chow
49 merlinnimue
50 edestlin
51 Chris Kochmanski

#'s 49-51 solved a while back but Crossshare seemed to be holding onto the fata