"Catch-11" by ajk

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Totally forgot about this.

Ssssstuck.

(But I can honestly say I didn't need any of the nudges and if/when I do solve I will not have used them)

EDIT: Oh, wait.

And in the end I did use the nudges. But in the exact opposite way than intended.
HeadinHome wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 pm Sssmooth grid and clever cluing! No nudges needed. My advice is not to overthink! ( :
My advice would be to actively under-think it.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Sssmooth grid and clever cluing! No nudges needed. My advice is not to overthink! ( :
The other Wendy. :roll:
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Sssolved without nudges, I enjoyed this one!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Ssolved nudgelessly. Fun puzzle!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Sunday evening leaderboard. A good showing so far, and thanks for all the kind words. Let me know if corrections are needed.

[TS] Abide
[TS] Wendy Walker
1. benchen71
2. Gutman
3. dudeski
4. Bob cruise director
5. MaineMarge
6. Berto
7. Pair O Ducks
8. I K Snamhcok
9. ChrisKochmanski
10. ky-mike
11. Meg
12. boharr
13. Hector
14. Cindy Weatherman
15. MatthewL
16. hoover
17. KayW
18. ReB
19. rjy
20. merlinnimue
21. Schmeel
22. Dow Jones
23. MarkWoychick
24. Laura M
25. whimsy
26. Darth
27. Katiedid
28. hcbirker
29. woozy
30. markhr
31. HeadinHome
32. michaelm
33. SamKat9
34. BarbaraK
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SSSolved on MMMonday, so now onto the MMM to see if I need to remain on the couch all day. Nice puzzle, though I think I may be off Mexican food for a while. Thanks Alan!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Sssolved. Fun Labor Day diversion and a good way to soothe my ego after another DNF on WSJCC

Stay well all
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wow, really nicely constructed. Loved this puzzle.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Fun meta with fresh cluing. Looking forward to your next one! Thank you, Alan!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Fun puzzle. I started late so I used the nudges. I assumed an inference which actually sent me down a rabbit hole. I had to sleep on it but had a quick reset this morning.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally Sssolved. I needed a nudge from @CPJohnson for the final step. I was trying to make it much more complicated than it was. Clever and fun! Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

SSSolved. It took me a long time to find all the relevant material -- I'm not good at math -- but the journey, which included some rabbit holes -- was fun.
Jay
ajk

Post by ajk »

Mid week update, and we've picked up some more solvers. Apologies for any Crosshare duplicate names:
35. Tyrpmom
36. Mr Tex
37. Philip Chow
38. DrTom
39. Tom Wilson
40. DCBilly
41. JHSeeman
42. BrennerTJ
43. jbird
44. Streroto
45. JM
46. CPJohnson
47. kurtalert
48. Sharkicicles
49. Carolyn
50. Jeremy Smith
51. lbray53
52. Cindy Heisler
53. Cinny
54. Bird Lives
55. DIS
56. andeux
57. Rufus T Firefly
58. somylai
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

One more straggler before the reveal:
59. Mikey G
ajk

Post by ajk »

The meta answer is WRONG NUMBER.

Hopefully, while filling the grid a few of these clues struck you as a bit off? Isn't the good cloud number nine, not two? Didn't Marilyn's dress sway [hat tip @Bruce] in "The Seven Year Itch," not the "Five?" The poor five ball seems to be taking the heat earned by the eight, etc. Come to think of it, isn't the unwinnable situation a Catch-22, not 11?

Well, it turns out that the title was both an example and an instruction. Exactly eleven of the clues make reference to familiar phrases that contain a number, and there are no other numbers in the clues (hence the 'couple' in 33A and the lack of 'three times' in 45A). But in each case the correct number has been replaced with a random alternate:

6A Result of five strikes [should be 3]
26A “High ten!” [should be 5]
43A Ten feet under, in a way [should be 6]
49A “I wouldn’t touch that with a seven foot pole!” [should be 10]
60A How you might refer to a Spinal Tap amp that goes to thirteen, slangily [should be 11]
1D Five-year itch, for example [should be 7]
12D In a ____ (behind the five ball) [should be 8]
15D It might follow a declaration of “Three can play that game!” [should be 2]
32D State of being on cloud two [should be 9]
43D Person who might be teased as “three eyes,” stereotypically [should be 4]
46D ____ the slate clean (go back to square two) [should be 1]

OK, so we just need to take the first letter of those eleven entries and we get...OGNERUMRBNW. Hmm.
Oh, maybe grid order, duh: UOMRGBNWER. Hmm.

Oh, hang on. Notice that the corrected numbers run from 1 to 11, inclusive, without any duplications. How about if we order the letters that way? Well, then we get the answer: WRONG NUMBER, which is both a two word phrase and an apt description of what's going on in both the title and the clues.

Thanks again for all the kind words, hope you enjoyed it.
catch-11 reveal.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Jay