"Famous Last Words" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Famous Last Words" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Oscar Wilde's last words were, "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do." Apparently, the wallpaper won out, although it was changed soon afterwards. Of course Groucho Marx couldn't resist one last quip either: "This is no way to live!" he is reputed to have said. And, if you do it right, you'll find the famous last words encoded in this meta puzzle: an apt two-word phrase.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Famous Last Words - Online Form
Famous Last Words - PUZ
Famous Last Words - PDF
Famous Last Words - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
markhr

Post by markhr »

Funny one. Enjoyed it, Ben.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

MOAT's crossed. Amusing.
Thanks for the puzzle!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed. Nice one.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, epitaph read. Thanks Ben!
Matthew
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

MOAT crossed. Thanks, Ben.
Konnie
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

MOAT crossed, thanks Ben!
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

The MOAT is in the rearview. Thanks Ben!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Crossed the MOAT. Took me a bit, but it was an amusing AHA moment. Thank you for the puzzle!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Crossed the moat. Fun one!
Heidi
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Whoa! Just got it! So glad I didn't give up as I was tempted to. What a bit of misdirection though!
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 pm Whoa! Just got it! So glad I didn't give up as I was tempted to. What a bit of misdirection though!
I wasn't intending any misdirection. I'd love to hear about it in the comments on Crosshare!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:13 pm
woozy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 pm Whoa! Just got it! So glad I didn't give up as I was tempted to. What a bit of misdirection though!
I wasn't intending any misdirection. I'd love to hear about it in the comments on Crosshare!

Oh, you know me. And you know you. And you know that I know you. Surely you know what I would immediately think I would need to do (which would be quite wrong, of course.)
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearly at the end of the first 24 hours. Here's the first group of successful solvers!

markhr
Schmeel
Hector
lbray53
boharr
MatthewL
imontoo
DrButtBeard
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
kurtalert
SamKat9
Laura M
HeadinHome
Gutman
heidi
I K Snamhcok
Bird Lives
BarbaraK
woozy
whimsy
DIS

That's 22 to get us going.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Shuffled across drawbridge, meekly tapped at portcullis. Took me a lot longer than it should have, but was thinking about it all wrong. Fun aha moment! Thanks Ben!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Crossed the MOAT. Enjoyed it...thanks Ben!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Looks like it's one of those weeks I'll have to wait for nudge Friday to lower the drawbridge a little ... good thing I brought lots of snacks for my wait outside the walls.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh my goodness, did I EVER try to complicate this. I'm not sure that wasn't our favorite Aussie's intent but whatever it was it made the crossing hard - but thankfully not impossible. Crossed and enjoyed in the end.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers for you, before the release of EARLY NUDGES! Yay!!

Berto
Qmark
Alex Sisti
DrTom

That brings us to 26. And, now, on to the nudges...