"Unfinished Business" September 29, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Dog paddling in circles, so I’m not sure in which direction the beach lies.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

I assert without proof that I am ashore. What I've got has to be the answer. If this proves false, I have got the mother of all rabbits.
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

Ashore. Good one
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Ashore… nice one. Got the nieces and nephews hooked on metas while at the Jersey shore. Time for a Cape May IPA!! Can’t wait to nudge them in the morning!
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
DelanQ

Post by DelanQ »

Ashore! And page 3 which is pretty good for a newbie like me!
Time for bed now though, I’ll have my Guinness tomorrow. 😴
Miki

Post by Miki »

Ashore
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Too many rabbits. I'll be listening at the Zoom.
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

I keep telling myself, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

Solved.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Still at sea. Must be "one of those" (he says blaming the puzzle/constructor and not himself).
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I am on the beach after looking at this grid on and off all day. Too late for a drink now, but I'm so glad to have solved before the week 5 Gaffney hits!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

I’ll have a Meister Brau or maybe a Roma Old Fashioned on this Ryder Cup morning.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally ashore after a marathon swim. Maybe a nice oxygen mask through which I can still sip a Maitai? Tnx.

Holeee cow y’all. When you see it it will be a quick and satisfying reward to all your staring, I promise.
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

phew. so glad it's not just me.

How can something with such an obvious title and obvious starter be so... oblique?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

I have that same feeling I had last weekend when I stopped paddling my kayak on a windy lake for one second and was just spinning around like a cork in a whirlpool... looking forward to the Zoom later today!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Ashore after floating on my back and staring at the sky for quite a long time.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:48 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:53 pm Wow. Stuckety stuck stuck.
You made me smile HeadinHome as I used the same words (verbatim and ad nauseam) over the past couple of months. I work in Tech consulting for banks for one of the big 4 and we are building interfaces (or APIs for any other techies out there) for an asset leasing app named Stucky (named after his owner Richard Stucky who made a fortune out of it). Often at 2 am as I burn the midnight oil I repeat those same words.

Apologies to people who were trying to get to page 2 and were inadvertently bumped by my digressing post.
Well I've been using almost those words trying to figure out what I am sure I have to do but can't.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
nosolvenosleep

Post by nosolvenosleep »

Ashore! I was completely stumped, and then suddenly I wasn’t.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Friends, please join us on the Zoom group solve at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time today! All are welcome, whether you have solved or not. Just click on the Muggle Zoom Room icon at the top of this page.
I am on the shore but needed a great deal of help from the always-patient "Other Wendy," @headinhome. This was a hard grid and an elusive meta!
On a happier note: Introducing my new cat, Felix!
Attachments
felix2.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Welcome to the family, Felix!
IMG_1878.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll: