"Unfinished Business" September 29, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On the beach! Went down several rabbit holes but finally had my Aha Moment.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Ashore with a nudge. Some people might object to crucial parts in this one --the misdirection that calls your attention to something irrelevant, the heavy disguising of the most important element. But some people ain't me.
Jay
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On the beach.
Business finished.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

For the first time in quite a while, I was home at 4:30 on a Friday and got to go to the zoom. What a great group! And so much bigger than the usual Sunday crowd.

Like Eric, I had noticed something important, and like Eric I had not seen anything useful to do with it until the zoom. On shore now.
Eric Porter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:04 pm I'm now on shore after the Zoom meeting.
I was the one who provided the final piece of the puzzle in the chat, but I didn't think it was relevant to the meta until some people who had solved saw what I wrote.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
wescovington

Post by wescovington »

I'm ashore. And unlike last week, I think I'm actually right!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore!
Kas

Post by Kas »

I am not ashore. I'm not even sure I am on the boat, so much as dog-paddling in a sea of meta cluelessness, is what I'm saying.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Arriving way after dark at the Beach

Margaritas all around.!
Grover

Post by Grover »

On the shore. No unfinished business this week.
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

You know where I like to hang out on Friday nights? A rabbit hole, that’s where. I am generating plenty of unfinished business for Isaac. I just wish he would stop rolling his eyes every time I tell him (between sips) that this *must* be significant.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Need a gentle nudge, thought I had something, but another rabbit hole.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

It will be interesting to hear what all of you are finding to support your view that you have the answer. As I said on page three, I do believe I have the answer -- it is incomprehensible if I do not -- but I can find absolutely nothing to support this other than the obvious certainty that this is the answer. I will eat this mother of all rabbits if I am wrong: please use pumpkin or cocoanut-cream pie if you wish to splatter my face in that case. But I hope that those of you who have found confirmation of the answer (assuming you have the same absoultely dead certain answer I have) will describe those confirmations on Monday. (Please no private message before then.)
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Thanks to the zoom call this afternoon, I was able to take what I already had and finish things off in time to get the perfectly baked meatloaf out of the oven for dinner!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Quietly sitting with Isaac and a light Aperol spritzer. Print comments are interesting this week. Really want to get this one on my own so I’ll pass on nudges. Still have 2 days to go!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Though I wasn’t just nudged, I was shoved!

I will NOT be submitted for mug consideration this week. I’m not deserving!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

otlaolap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 pm It will be interesting to hear what all of you are finding to support your view that you have the answer. As I said on page three, I do believe I have the answer -- it is incomprehensible if I do not -- but I can find absolutely nothing to support this other than the obvious certainty that this is the answer. I will eat this mother of all rabbits if I am wrong: please use pumpkin or cocoanut-cream pie if you wish to splatter my face in that case. But I hope that those of you who have found confirmation of the answer (assuming you have the same absoultely dead certain answer I have) will describe those confirmations on Monday. (Please no private message before then.)
INTRIGUED! I can’t imagine someone stumbling upon this one without the key. I predict a rabbit hole award in your future!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

Finally got it! Woo-hoo. Thought this was another one that was way beyond my thought processes but an aha moment of looking at it! Love to be on the beach!
Julie
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Ashore with major help.
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:18 am
otlaolap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 pm It will be interesting to hear what all of you are finding to support your view that you have the answer. As I said on page three, I do believe I have the answer -- it is incomprehensible if I do not -- but I can find absolutely nothing to support this other than the obvious certainty that this is the answer. I will eat this mother of all rabbits if I am wrong: please use pumpkin or cocoanut-cream pie if you wish to splatter my face in that case. But I hope that those of you who have found confirmation of the answer (assuming you have the same absoultely dead certain answer I have) will describe those confirmations on Monday. (Please no private message before then.)
INTRIGUED! I can’t imagine someone stumbling upon this one without the key. I predict a rabbit hole award in your future!
I predict he noticed something and got the correct answer but just hasn’t quite realized why yet.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Isaac, good man, reach down to the bottom shelf and pull my mug off.
Fill it with anything from the top shelf, sir. Yes, to the brim. Could be 'ere a while.
My Mug.png