"Unfinished Business" September 29, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Make some room at the bar there Commodore. Isaac, my usual.

Did the grid with the kids last night and had some brilliant, well-supported (/hinted) ideas that went.... nowhere.

So I have to think about this while also doing the MGWCC week 5? I'll need another one, Isaac.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:01 pm Ashore! I was given the perfect nudge.
It is the perfect nudge! Ashore as well once you know precisely where to look. Gin & tonic tonight.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Greetings Muggles
Hope all the New Yorkers on here are okay despite all the flooding.
ReB

Post by ReB »

otlaolap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 pm It will be interesting to hear what all of you are finding to support your view that you have the answer. As I said on page three, I do believe I have the answer -- it is incomprehensible if I do not -- but I can find absolutely nothing to support this other than the obvious certainty that this is the answer. I will eat this mother of all rabbits if I am wrong: please use pumpkin or cocoanut-cream pie if you wish to splatter my face in that case. But I hope that those of you who have found confirmation of the answer (assuming you have the same absoultely dead certain answer I have) will describe those confirmations on Monday. (Please no private message before then.)
If it turns out you found the "mother of all rabbit [hole]s" be sure to let the Rabbit know by submitting details of your trail...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles.

I hope everyone is well and not under water.

So far we have 8 with Isaac on the ship and an even 100 on the shore.

Enjoying Isaac's fine selection of libations are

MikeyG
Justmarebear
mattythewsjpuzzler
woozy
jrdad
Janet
BigPear
Kas

And basking on the sunny beach, most recovering from imbibing copious amounts of sea water on the way in are:

C=64
ajk
boharr
Cindy
AaronT
NebFaninCA
oldjudge
Lee-Ann
Meg
altosax
MajorDomoTom
girubato1
SJMck
DunningKruger
Al
clonefitz
mydogsam
whimsy
Jim and Anita
Laura
BrennerTJ
Jean
Flying_Burrito
Les
David K
streroto
markhr
Alvibu67
cjoloug1
Nycerjohnnie
Mike H
benchen71
Zagman49
otlaolap
Merry Potter
Miki
DelanQ
Anna
PlymouthRock
HeadinHome
Wendy
jhseeman
SamKat9
kurtalert
nosolvenosleep
milaniatl
Joepickett
MatthewL
michaelm
Scott M
DCBilly
Eric P
Moi
lxpeterson
ky-mike
minimuggle
Heidi
darth
Bird Lives
Trish
SingleMalt
CPJohnson
Homer
Al Laubenstein
Brainbow
Ergcat
Barbara K
Jayboy1
Bob B
Bill
Wescovington
Don and Cynthia
LittleGood
turbotron
Crest
Lyman
sjm
DavyGravy
JaneGummy
lisajoy
DrTom
Yoda66
Tina
Franky_T
Don and Lisa
Zach
EVJ
Acarl
Barnhart6
hunkra
Jace54
JeanneC
Chris
jimbo1
Grover
Cindy N
Hamrock
HunterX
Sleepy
Commodore

Good luck with the meta for those who are still pursuing rabbits in their holes and also with the week 5 which is coming out in a couple of minutes
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Char

Post by Char »

Solved- heard a snippet on Zoom that triggered an idea.
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

My breakfast agrees. I'm still on the...
Attachments
2023-09-17-13-00-34-941.jpg
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

I've sent out a couple of PM's but guess my peeps are not online this morning. I could use small nudge. Maybe something that was mentioned in the zoom call yesterday? That seemed to help a few muggles without giving it away. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Got it with the help of three nudges. Thank you!
Last edited by STL-D on Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Wow! Ashore! Went down a lot of holes!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got it with handholding not really a nudge-- the kind of nudge that doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know but somehow allows to to keep going and look in a very very slightly but completely different angle-- the kind where you want to say "oh, I didn't need it" but you have to admit if you hadn't gotten it you wouldn't have solved but for the life of you you can't see how it gave you any additional information.

A lot of misdirection and almost *all* assumptions of metas are out the window. EXCEPT my very first and obvious thought was absolutely correct. ... It's just that looking at something from a 38.76 degree angle sharply shows you something completely blurred when viewed from a 38.75 degree angle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:ship: :cocktail: Very apt title for me this week - I'm stubbornly stuck in a rabbit hole in Marge's stern garden. Time to rest up a bit with Isaac. I think I better open a tab. Matt's week 5 is not looking any more promising...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm drinking with Isaac today. Interesting to read the comments and I'm hoping something will jump out at me today, but so far every possibility doesn't lead anywhere.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I made it ASHORE while traveling to Disney World to celebrate our granddaughter’s fifth birthday. We will arrive tomorrow when I will try to post a photo of the birthday girl.
Sara
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Thanks to Wendy Walker's nudge, I am ashore.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I'm still at sea. Been a little distracted since the TRansformer in the alley sent a (not) nICe surge through the house yesterday. And now our not very OLd furnace and kind of old a/c don't work. Hoping for an inexpensive fix! And hoping that I will soon be unmoORED and heading to shore! For now I will sit HERe and pONder the meta.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On shore after a late start due to my office move on Thursday. Glad to be on the beach!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore, with help from a fellow muggle.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:13 pm Ashore with a nudge. Some people might object to crucial parts in this one --the misdirection that calls your attention to something irrelevant, the heavy disguising of the most important element. But some people ain't me.
“Heavy disguising of the most important element….” Intriguing comment.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Ashore, a quick swim for me after finally reading more carefully.
JustAQuickThought