MGWCC #800 – "With This Ring, I Thee Solve"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:43 pm Really fun! Waiting for Monday to submit.
:D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Not confirmed yet, but I’m feeling good about it.

UPDATE: On the board!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I was on the wrong track initially, but I managed to turn myself around. This puzzle went a totally different way than I imagined, and it's very clever. I'm going to submit Monday as well.

Edit: Beamed up!
Last edited by SamKat9 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Beamed and awaiting confirmation.

EDIT: on at #75

Not waiting until Monday.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Kinda got there, but didn’t. Finally Rose to the occasion. Thank you, @ajk Celebrating with a Murphy’s stout…
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Solved this one on discord with Jeff. Thanks, mate, that was a fun partner-solve! :D ]

... and I'm beamed at #85.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Up early this morning in London, sitting in the hotel lounge where it is quiet, surrounded by wood paneling, antique leather chairs, old firearms on the walls along with oil paintings of dogs and wild fowl, trying to solve the meta.

Aha, I found something very clever and I think I may have it! I'll wait until tomorrow to submit. God Save the King.....
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:20 pm WHOA! Jangler missing only his second ever meta!!!
He's been reinstated to the list at #1. A variant entry, perhaps?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two days in, see suspicious things but no steps. Chances of solving on Tilghman's birthday pretty good... well his 18th birthday maybe.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

As Brophy says in Mel Brook's "High Anxiety," "I got it, I got it....I ain't got it."

Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
KayW

Post by KayW »

ship4u wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:43 am As Brophy says in Mel Brook's "High Anxiety," "I got it, I got it....I ain't got it."

That seems to be my refrain for this meta weekend :lol: :confounded:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:24 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:20 pm WHOA! Jangler missing only his second ever meta!!!
He's been reinstated to the list at #1. A variant entry, perhaps?
Actually, 7 answers that were submitted ahead of mine have been reclassified from incorrect to correct. I have a theory on why, but it could be a spoiler if I mentioned it.
Trish

Post by Trish »

The aha moment happened this morning! Will submit tomorrow because I definitely need that badge! Also love that my screen name is in the grid!❤️
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am 99% sure I have the answer with my solving buddy @mainemarge and with encouragement from WLW.

Will take today to ensure that the other 1% is correct and submit tomorrow. My last practical badge. The probability of me being first is somewhere less than getting hit by lightning and a meteor at the same time.

For muggles who only look here we are having a second Q&A with Matt on Saturday October 28. The link and additional information will be sent out over the next couple of weeks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

I can’t wait to openly gush about this puzzle on Wednesday PM! One of my favorite reveals….
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Great puzzle.
Now, back to the WSJ
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I will beam tomorrow after a slight assist. Very clever and I think I know what answers he may have accepted.

Edit: Apparently I am missing a step.
Last edited by hcbirker on Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm, very interesting.

I did this one last night and got an answer that seemed nice and solid. But the leaderboard showed a lot of wrong answers, including from some really good solvers. So I decided I'd better wait and take another look before submitting.

Today, it looks like most of those "wrong" answers have been accepted. Technical glitch, or a good alternative?

I went through the puzzle again. Noticed some things that I thought might lead to another step or another path, but that didn't really go anywhere. And my original answer is a really good metanism. So I just submitted and will find out with the next update whether I'm beamed up.

Looking forward to Wednesday, finding out what happened, and if there is another answer what/how it works.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up.
Cindy Heisler