"No Minor Entertainer" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"No Minor Entertainer" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? OK, so there are lots of entertainers out there. So no guesses! But the one you are looking for is pretty big. The answer to the meta is the full birth-name of a musical artist, so you might need Google to help you with the middle name.

And we're doing the prize thing again! Enter for your chance to win another 12 music-themed meta puzzles like this one. If you don't want to wait you can buy the pack here.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

No Minor Entertainer - Online Form
No Minor Entertainer - PUZ
No Minor Entertainer - PDF
No Minor Entertainer - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Fun grid! I managed to cross the moat but I feel like I'm missing something. I'll keep thinking on it!

Edit: I get it now! :D
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

I see something, but not enough to make anything out of it. Hoping for early nudges. :roll:
Matthew
woozy

Post by woozy »

experience has shown ben's musical taste and knowledge is not mine. Don't know if I should give up or try to follow one very likely toe-hold that seems to, with my body of knowledge, only hit a brick wall.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Not seeing anything… music not my strong suit. Worried by the term “pretty big” entertainer. Pretty sure that means I won’t know him/her.😂
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I'm lost too... I see a couple things that might be relevant, but I can't find the thing that cinches it all together. I can be hit or miss on music trivia, though.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Wow, only 3 solvers so far! And I thought this would be a nice "week 1" puzzle! :shock:

SamKat9
Hector
sss

I have a strong feeling that immediate nudges are required...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no additional hints in the grid, just 3 15-letter "nonsense" entries.

2. Those 15-letter entries all have three words.

3. If you reduce those entries to 3 initials you might recognise them as standing for other phrases. (Hey, look at that: it works with the puzzle title, too!)

3½. It turns out that the acronym VFT in the way this puzzle uses it is not that well known in the US. In Australia, VFT = VERY FAST TRAIN. NME is also a very obscure acronym, but is not necessary for the solve.

4. The reason the artist's middle name is included in the answer is simply so we end up with three words like the themers. Google will help you if you are not a fan!

5. There is confirmation for the answer in the grid. You may even get to the solve that way!
Last edited by benchen71 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Well, nudges not helping as I already surmised nudges 1-3. And didn’t know what to do with that! 😂Now what? Think I’ll make some guesses!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Thanks for the nudges. Unfortunately I’m with Ergcat. I had already made a couple of guesses as well. Alas they were incorrect.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cindy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:08 pm Thanks for the nudges. Unfortunately I’m with Ergcat. I had already made a couple of guesses as well. Alas they were incorrect.
I've added a couple of additional nudges. Does that help at all?
markhr

Post by markhr »

Got it with the first set of nudges. Tough one.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat…. With a clarification of a term from Ben!
Thanks, Ben!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Stormed the castle (with a little help from nudge 3.5)! Super clever puzzle.

(And for those who are worried, I'd say odds are good you do know of the artist in question.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The nudges helped a lot. Thanks, Ben.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzhogwarts.png
Definitely could not board until Platform 3 and a half.

Thanks for the puzzle, Ben. You'll make Aussies out of us yet! :lol:
Darth

Post by Darth »

Flew over the MOAT with TTE! (that's Thomas the Tank Engine)... ! Thank you, Ben!
maxresdefault (2).jpg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat not so much crossed as limped across. Too tired to storm the castle. Thanks Ben!
Matthew