"Deathtrap" October 27, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Ashore
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

I am a lurker, not a speaker, but I enjoyed the zoom with Messers Gaffney and Shenk. Thank you to our cruise director/moderator and those who posed questions. I found Mr. G’s comments about last week’s puzzle very useful and something I’ll definitely keep in mind going forward.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Janet

Post by Janet »

I am ashore! I went down many rabbit holes yesterday, but sat down this morning with a cup of coffee and solved it right away.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Hello! After a short sabbatical taking care of personal projects I am back. I was a bit relieved to enjoy a quick solve this week. Good luck muggles.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:38 am I am a lurker, not a speaker, but I enjoyed the zoom with Messers Gaffney and Shenk. Thank you to our cruise director/moderator and those who posed questions. I found Mr. G’s comments about last week’s puzzle very useful and something I’ll definitely keep in mind going forward.
We are working on getting the recording of the Q&A uploaded to the forum. We will let you know when it is uploaded and where it is.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

Thought this one was a snap - seems like I either get them quickly or don’t get them at all.
dogguy

Post by dogguy »

Ashore - I couldn't see it at all from Thursday night until this morning, and then it just hit me.

Happy to be ashore and drinking with the crowd.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Congratulations and Thank You to our esteemed @Bob cruise director for putting together a FANTASTIC Q&A Zoom Session with @MattGaffney and Mike Shenk! It ran like clockwork despite the large number of participants and was totally enjoyable. Thanks also to the thoughtful and enthusiastic participants! What a great evening! Even though Cynthia and I attended, we plan to watch it again!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

We had a great time last night. Here are two links. The first one from last night and the second one from the first Q&A. Thanks to everyone for participating and asking great questions. We say it over and over but this is an unbelievable group.

Last night's session

June 2021 session

We have 247 on the shore with our new arrivals

rjy
Nlobb
Janet
Prozach
Qmark
EmilyW
SusieG
SReh26
bigtuna
dogguy

Don't forget the Last Call at 8 pm ET tonight.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JoeFlanders

Post by JoeFlanders »

Cute and timely puzzle...and clever as always
John77

Post by John77 »

On shore. I think I'll make a Painkiller.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Ashore. What is the record for people claiming beach property?
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

On shore. Just got to it today.
BetterMonday

Post by BetterMonday »

Onshore!!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

This puzzle was a very nice Halloween "treat" from Mr. Shenk without the frustrating "tricks"!!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I submitted an answer, so please count me on the shore.

But I lack confidence: over the past few weeks I thought I was ashore, only to discover that I had only reached step 1. Monday will reveal!

BTW, some of the double-meaning answers were perplexing to me, and I still don't get 5D.
JustAQuickThought
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

JAQT wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:33 pm I submitted an answer, so please count me on the shore.

But I lack confidence: over the past few weeks I thought I was ashore, only to discover that I had only reached step 1. Monday will reveal!

BTW, some of the double-meaning answers were perplexing to me, and I still don't get 5D.
The wing of a building.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Took a long time to fill the grid, but the meta was very clear, with many confirming tie ins. Count me ashore!
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

Been busy celebrating my husband’s 60th birthday and supporting my stepson in the Marine Corps Marathon. Found a postage stamp sized piece of beach and have stuck by Union Jack in it. Ashore.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

Haven’t attempted the meta in a couple months, but I’m back and on shore this week:)