"Small Animals" November 3, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Char

Post by Char »

Solved
M and M

Post by M and M »

Clever as always, and a bit obscure at times - but anyway, done and dusted.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

5 for Fighting.png
Aye, put up a valiant fight, but alas - no traction. Ice Shack, old man, pour us another.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Was RIGHT there and did not notice enough things. Finally I got a strong nudge to complete my journey and the clouds parted. So, ashore but not submitting.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Still at sea. Was certain I had the first step but nothing except rabbit holes since.
Miki

Post by Miki »

I found multiple rabbit hole-ish mechanisms..
Each giving me two of three letters
So, I have multiple potential answers...
But, none of them are elegant, or 100%ers.

My husband did solve the puzzle, 16 times, each with a different answer, all in his dreams.

This is me admitting I need a nudge.
Please!

Miki
The nudge + the extra hour of sleep =Ashore.

Thank you Michaelm and sleepy
Last edited by Miki on Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

Count me ashore! With a tiny nudge from @BarbaraK. I’ll take a water. Don’t ask.
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore only after some hand holding by my friend @Bob cruise director. Matt never fails to give us a good meta.
Enough with these small animals! Let’s see a big one
607369986.192185.jpeg
I looked up just in time to see this big guy strolling along our back field. In September many years ago
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Man this one was fun!

Makers mark on the rocks.
Make it a Double!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

FYI, I'm on the ship. I haven't had much time to look at it yet. I'm assuming my first step is a rabbit hole, but I'll work on it more later.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:18 pm Ashore only after some hand holding by my friend @Bob cruise director. Matt never fails to give us a good meta.
Enough with these small animals! Let’s see a big one
I looked up just in time to see this big guy strolling along our back field. In September many years ago
I've 2 buddies with whom I text during Bearcat football games. One sits behind me at home games, the other, Bob, exists outside of, but near, Detroit.

This post reminds me of my text after today's last Bearcat touchdown:

"Check the tape, Bobby. See if our 34 didn't pave the way for that TD.

"34 is moose."
puzzledpuzzler

Post by puzzledpuzzler »

New to the crosswords and not very familiar with the meta strategies. Have two possibilities I can see working, could use a nudge :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

puzzledpuzzler wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm New to the crosswords and not very familiar with the meta strategies. Have two possibilities I can see working, could use a nudge :)
Welcome!

If you send me a Private Message and tell me about your two possibilities, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

(Be sure your profile is set to be able to receive private messages, and it's easiest if you also have it set to email you when you receive one.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Grover

Post by Grover »

On shore! Nice meta by Matt.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Ashore. It's 3:30 am here in Cascais and I can't sleep, but it's too early for a mimosa.
Miki

Post by Miki »

puzzledpuzzler wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm New to the crosswords and not very familiar with the meta strategies. Have two possibilities I can see working, could use a nudge :)
If you're just starting out with Metas, don't give up. You'll get the hang of it. This week's puzzle is harder than usual. After all, last week we got a "freebie".
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

I'm calling myself on the beach. My confidence is not 100%, but I can argue my case.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Made it to shore with a little nudge that I was on the right path. There's an element that seems weird to me, but hey. All's good.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

The volume of posts saying they’re not sure is pretty bizarre. It’s a hard one (I needed to be helped basically every step of the way) but it’s absolutely 100% once you get it. If you’re not sure, you’re probably wrong I’d say.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

On shore, happily. Got confirmation from Don (ship4u--thank you!), that I was on the right path but with a way to go. With an additional nudge, found the big AHA.

Have a great week, Muggles.