"Small Animals" November 3, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Streroto wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:35 pm Pretty sure I have it. Sure enough to claim a spot on page 1 though I may wait to submit.

Stay well all
Appears I was wrong. I apologize for taking a page one slot!
KayW

Post by KayW »

🏝️🍹Ashore.

Long and late (but fun!) day yesterday meant I didn’t tackle this one til Friday morning. So for the first time in years I solved WSJCC in ink in the morning paper 🦖 Nice one!

Perhaps my second outing yesterday gave me a leg up on the meta. Bloodsuckers: Legends to Leeches at Field Museum. I saw lots of small animals there:
IMG_7012.jpeg
Who knew there was such a thing as a vampire finch (upper right) or a vampire snail (lower right)?
Process of elimination spoiler: none of these are the meta answer 😉

EDIT: actually TWO legs up this week, having seen 38-DOWN in concert within the past month 🤩
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Currently keeping Isaac busy at the bar
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Still at sea. Think I am losing my touch.

UPDATE: and just like that....ashore
Last edited by mattythewsjpuzzler on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
batfella

Post by batfella »

I believe I found a lock in for my answer . Not100% sure but submitted and hopefully ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I spent the evening at the outside bar with Isaac, smoking my Peterson LeStrade pipe and sipping a Pinot Grigio, hoping that the Sherlock Holmes effect might unlock the metanism. No luck.

Then, this morning, I saw it with fresh eyes and I'm at it over coffee! I think this is going to be fun after all!
Last edited by ship4u on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Late start yesterday. Grid pretty straightforward. Nothing last night. Glanced at it again this morning and there it was. On the shore!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. Life is strange. I had an experience very recently which led me right to the mechanism.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Like @Streroto (post #61), I was pretty sure I had the right answer and posted that I was on shore, but then realized last night there is a much better answer! So I, too, took up a page 1 slot prematurely when I should have waited until I was certain. But at least I didn't send in the wrong answer! Hope to see everyone on the 4:30 p.m. Group Solve this afternoon.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

I got this but hoo boy was this was painful for me lol
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

ashore with some group solving. Very fun puzzle. Happy weekend all. I'm bummed to miss the zoom this afternoon but I'll be at a "streaker party" at Tavern on the Green for those of us "crazies" who have run the marathon 15 or more times.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and finally done. The right path sort of came to me in a dream overnight. Funny how the mind processes stuff you've been thinking about.

Hope to make the Zoom meeting today and prove I am still worthy of the Rabbit Hole award, but have an errand to run when wife gets home, so may not make it.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Ashore4us. It took a while but it was worth it to finally sort out the metanism. At first, I thought that discovering a word with only 3 letters was going to be a formidable task. Thankfully, it had an enjoyable twist.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

clonefitz wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:39 am Currently keeping Isaac busy at the bar
Gosh, at 7:39 am? That was a long night, my friend. You must be ready for a cup of coffee! :)
Don & Cynthia

MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

On shore! Slept on it after finding the final word I needed before going to bed. Excited for 58-down vs LSU on Saturday. Deep frying a Turkey for a whole slew of Louisianans in town for my daughter’s baptism. Margaritas tonight!
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Very late start but I’m ashore!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Our Muggle Zoom get together will be, as usual, at 4:30 pm Eastern time today. I'm looking forward to hearing about some interesting and creative attempts at navigating this meta. It should be fun for all, so you won't want to miss it.

Cick on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join. Hope to see you there!
Don & Cynthia

Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I posted on page 1 that I solved but after looking at comments, I researched more and found a better answer…. Glad I didn’t submit right away!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

lost at sea
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Bob, please count me on shore. I’m pretty sure I have it. I’m just missing that final click. If this isn’t it, it’ll be a good entry for the rabbit award. I’m awaiting confirmation from a dedicated muggle.