"Small Animals" November 3, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Teejels

Post by Teejels »

On shore! Went from no clue to “aha” in seconds. That was cool!

Edit:
Well now I think I’m wrong but I found a cool mechanism in there.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I find these metas to be a humbling experience. As the product of a Jesuit education, I was taught that humility is a good thing.

There are times, however, that I go so far as to lament, as Ray Bolger did in his role as scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, "if I only had a brain." But with persistence and some Sherlock Holmesian mixture of observation, deduction, logical reasoning, breadth of thinking, along with a sprinkle of input from friends, the coveted AHA is finally achieved.

It is this group of muggles that not only makes it all worthwhile, it has added an wonderfully positive aspect to puzzle solving and, dare I say, life in general. Thanks to all of you for being a part of this great group of supportive and friendly people!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

A tricky meta from Matt but we have 63 on the shore and 2 on the ship.

Good luck and don't forget the 4:30 pm ET group zoom solve
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Group solve at Vee Vees. Excellent meal!

Untitledzzveevees.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

AArrgghhh - nothing depresses me more than to log onto XWord Muggles and see the huge number of pages of solvers when I am looking at a messy paper and at least 4 different, though very plausible, rabbit holes. I applied some good logic, I interpreted the title, I looked for nudge clues and I am still lost. Time to se this down and try the MG, perhaps that will make me feel better?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Found a few small critters in the grid, but not sure where they might be (or might not be) leading me. Don't want to be following any rabbits!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:12 pm AArrgghhh - nothing depresses me more than to log onto XWord Muggles and see the huge number of pages of solvers when I am looking at a messy paper and at least 4 different, though very plausible, rabbit holes. I applied some good logic, I interpreted the title, I looked for nudge clues and I am still lost. Time to se this down and try the MG, perhaps that will make me feel better?
While I solved this in 22 minutes (posted later) & found it straightforward, the number of solvers & times posted show this to be a "Week 3+" in my opinion.
elvanya

Post by elvanya »

My first post! I have been lurking here for a few weeks, and on this puzzle I feel like I have too many rabbit trails..
“What further inferences may we draw?”

“Do none suggest themselves? You know my methods. Apply them!”
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Ashore! Glad to get this one.

See you at the Zoom solve!

Allison (Alvibu67)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

elvanya wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:36 pm My first post! I have been lurking here for a few weeks, and on this puzzle I feel like I have too many rabbit trails..
Welcome to the forum! (Love the icon.)

This is a wonderful place, and I've been super-excited to make some warm connections here with people I now count among my friends. My wish is it's the same for you!

This definitely has a few rabbit holes here and there, for sure. (I'm in agreement with @Joe Ross on Week 3/3.25.) I always advise to come back to a puzzle later and view it with new lenses and, of course, if you get stuck, feel free to reach out to accommodating folks here!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I’m still 71a…. Hoping for post-enlightenment!
See you at the Zoom call!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

On shore with 100% confidence, give or take 20%. I have a defensible, logical answer that's consistent with Matt's construction style... I'll have a Guinness while I mull over what more I could/should have done. Hmmm. That's a lot of thinking; I may need two.
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

Reached the shore yesterday. But didn’t have a celebratory drink. Just thought about a nice glass of Albariño. Submitted with a bit of hesitation.
Anita

Post by Anita »

On the beach at last. But there's definitely an issue with the puzzle.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖️ 🫖

Flailed around for awhile, finally saw the light! 💡
nosolvenosleep

Post by nosolvenosleep »

No sign of land yet, but I’m still swimming… From what I’ve read here, it will be a case of “When you know, you know.”
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

On shore. My husband helped me to change focus.
boharr

Post by boharr »

FrancesY wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:02 pm On shore. My husband helped me to change focus.
Three cheers for husbands!
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

Is a red herring a small animal? Because this puzzle is full of them.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'm interested to see what issues people have. I see it having a crisp, 100% mechanism and solution. Not that it's easy, but it's well-crafted.