MEOW #154 Safe Cracking

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #154 Safe Cracking

Post by benchen71 »

Here's another MEOW for you where the grid entries are all made up and the clues don't matter. That's right, the clues are like signatures on credit cards or bank websites that prevent you pasting your ID number - two excellent examples of security theatre! The answer to the meta is a quotation of dubious origins (whose line is it, anyway?)

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Note that there is no PUZ file this week: it's Crosshare or PDF only.

Safe Cracking - Crosshare
Safe Cracking - PDF

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution will be posted Tuesday.

cover.jpg
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Cat is released (after much persistent clawing to get out).
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

the cat is free! Fun puzzle! Thanks, Ben!
Last edited by Ergcat on Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ha! You CRACK me up...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat has busted free.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion
Unrecognizable Australian Wildcat
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:21 pm Unrecognizable Australian Wildcat
Thylacine, perhaps? :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

No safe can hold this cat.

Fun!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearly at the end of the first 24 hour period, and the following have cracked the safe and released the cat!

Mr Tex
kurtalert
merlinnimue
Pair O Ducks
Ergcat
Hector
woozy
boharr
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
Sharkicicles
DIS
I K Snamhcok
DrTom

That's only 14! :o
Last edited by benchen71 on Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I got the cat out, but not before he suffered some brain damage from lack of oxygen (he is used to the more porous sack I guess). His comments on leaving were "THBBFT" and "ACK". But he's safe now. Thanks Ben...but of course you make my usual mechanisms seem dull by comparison.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:56 am Thanks Ben...but of course you make my usual mechanisms seem dull by comparison.
It's my poor attempt to mimic @madhatter5! I was always extremely trepidatious when a new MEOW dropped, because you never quite knew what you were going to get! :D
hoover

Post by hoover »

Cat's out!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I neglected to include Ergcat in the list of solvers yesterday. They had trouble getting Crosshare to accept the correct answer and PMed me. Sorry about that!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, bringing us to 16:

hoover
Darrell

Nudges tomorrow morning (Australia time)!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. You will have quickly noticed that the grid entries truly were made up and the clues didn't matter: just fill the clues into the grid and you are done!

2. Well, that's the *grid* done. Now you have to solve the meta, for which you only have the title to help you.

3. If you've seen any heist movie involving a safe you should know what to do. The different parts of the grid sort of look like safe dials, don't they?

4. Turn the dials. But they won't all have to be turned the same way!

5. One dial needs to be turned 90 degrees clockwise, one 90 degrees anticlockwise, and one 180 degrees, just to make things complicated. You didn't think breaking into a safe was supposed to be easy, did you?!?
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Yep, needed the nudges, but the cat has finally been set free (he looks quite miffed, to be sure). Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Nudged the cat out of the vault.
Kudos to anyone who got it without the nudges! Thanks Ben, I think this is your @madhatter5iest puzzle yet!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed nudge 5 to point out that my interpretation of how to execute things was wrong. Fun idea, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Needed nudges to get the cat out.
Always did have trouble with my locker.
Untitledzzlocker.png
Thanks for another unique one, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

KayW wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:37 pm Thanks Ben, I think this is your @madhatter5iest puzzle yet!
That's what I was going for! :D