"Burn Out" by BarbaraK

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Sssolved without the nudges. Enjoyed it! Thanks, Barbara!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Sssolved without nudges! Thanks for the fun puzzle.

Oh and "standard / custom nudges" — can I steal that? Some days I'm in the mood to sit with a puzzle until it locks in, and some days I just want to get on with life, but I feel guilty asking for early hints (or worse yet, admitting when the public nudges still aren't enough!) I love, love, love the shame-free language!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Crosshare won’t open but I’ve got it. Love the artist and yes a great song. Thanks for Sunday diversions! (Didn’t look at the nudges. I’d say a level 1)
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Ssssolved! Nice one, Barbara. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Got it, revived some memories...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

schmidzy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:16 pm Sssolved without nudges! Thanks for the fun puzzle.

Oh and "standard / custom nudges" — can I steal that? Some days I'm in the mood to sit with a puzzle until it locks in, and some days I just want to get on with life, but I feel guilty asking for early hints (or worse yet, admitting when the public nudges still aren't enough!) I love, love, love the shame-free language!
But of course! Help yourself. My language is your language.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:30 pm Crosshare won’t open but I’ve got it. Love the artist and yes a great song. Thanks for Sunday diversions! (Didn’t look at the nudges. I’d say a level 1)
Hmm, bizarre. There are solvers and comments there, so it's working for some people. Why not you? Is there a rift in the space/time continuum between your isp and theirs? I wonder how many others can't get to it. Grateful again that Joe puts the pdf/puz/spreadsheet files on this site.

Thanks for solving!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, My first guess was wrong.

So I made up a meta where it was right.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/EPGEPj ... -washed-up
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

In this week of Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the 52 people who've sssolved my puzzle this first day! And there are still 6 more days. If you liked it, tell your friends:)

The sssolvers so far are:
Abide (TS)
Wendy Walker (TS)
Capn Rick (TS)
whimsy (TS)
Cindy Weatherman
Tom Wilson
boharr
Berto
Cindy Heisler
lbray53
JM
Meg
FrankieHeck
JHSeeman
Hector
Qmark
merlinnimue
Mwoychick
KayW
Darth
ajk
woozy
Katiedid
Schmeel
Sharkicicles
michaelm
MaineMarge
Carolyn
JWords
DIS
DebbieC
JR
Laura M
heidi
hoover
rjy
BethA
Bob Cruise Director
GR
CPJohnson
Bird Lives
Jeremy Smith
Pair O Ducks
DrTom
Tyrpmom
Rufus T Firefly
HeadinHome
DCBilly
benchen71
markhr
Sendhil Revuluri
Darrell

If I've missed anyone, let me know. (Crosshare has a bit of a lag, so if you've recently submitted, you should show up on the next update.)

ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

SSSolved!

Got to it late, and didn’t need the nudges.

Fun!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SSSolved without nudges. Had to eliminate a few candidates but the mechanism was clear and fun as was the AHA. Thanks Barbara!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Sssolved. Needed all the nudges. Nice one, Barbara!
Matthew
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Another 13 sssolvers have joined our merry band, bringing the total to 65!

BrennerTJ
I K Snamhcok
kurtalert
andeux
Mr Tex
Dow Jones
MatthewL
Alex Sisti
iceman
Gutman
Jaclyn
Philip Chow
CPJohnson

I'm so thankful for all of you!

ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore. Nudges just confirmed what I already had. Needed to think on it a bit and it came to me while I was in bed this morning. Nice work!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

We have two more SSSummery SSSunday SSSolvers, bringing the total to 67!

Welcome to the party:
kymike
Mikey G

Still two more days to grow the list. Think I'll go crash the WSJ beach bash:)

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

No new additions to the solver list, and it's SSSaturday, so time for the big reveal!

The meta answer is "Ring of Fire", the Johnny Cash song that was #87 on the Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The clue for 15-Down directed you to look at the EDGES of the grid, and there you'd find 8 words that could follow "fire"

Fire opal
Fire sale
Fire ant
Firewater
Fire away
Fire pits
Fire off
Firepower

So you could say there's a "Ring of Fire", right?
Burn Out reveal.jpg
And since we've got a ring of fire going, there was a bonus WEENIE ROAST and SMORES in the grid :)

There were a few initial guesses of other "Fire" songs, but everyone who submitted ended up getting it!

I'm so thankful to the 67 of you who solved the meta and also the 70 others who solved just the crossword!

Come back tomorrow to see what @Cap'n Rick has for the next SSS!

And while you're waiting, don't forget his and @Wendy Walker's MMM, @benchen71's MOAT, @DrTom's MEOW, and @MikeyG's Pun of a Kind.

I'll leave you with the Man in Black himself