"Marked Deck" December 1, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Can’t remember if I commented already. I got on a shore last night. I might be pageanted, because like others I feel like it’s ambiguous if I’ve used everything I have. But I submitted.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore. In the 100%'er crowd. Curious what others' concerns are.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:36 am Well, this is interesting. I surely have part of the solution. I could force an answer that technically fits but it doesn't quite snap in. No aha. I'll keep searching, in the meantime let's see if our friendly mixologist has any suggestions for a nice libation.
Aha! Found it! Thanks, Isaac, for the rum and whatever, I'm heading ashore!

[I think that was actually a rum, rum, rum and whatever. Whoo! Isaac can be a bad boy.]
Last edited by DannyWalter on Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:01 am 49d Bear witness
How about
Witness bear ( on my front lawn)
This was from a video I took from the back door or our Pocono house earlier this year. And the image is one second before the closer bear does a fake lunge at me, sending me scrambling inside after slamming the door. Somewhat fun to watch her pretend to ignore me and look away before turning her head to look directly towards me and scaring the bejesus out of me. (I say "her" because we used to see her and her cub, now fairly grown up in the photo, on our security cameras.)

Bears.png

BTW, I'm zoomed in. No, I was not THAT close to them.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm on shore. I might have one question about whether I'm seeing everything, but the answer is a lock. I'm gonna have a nice egg nog with Canadian whiskey to kick off December.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore! Tequila and soda for me.
woozy

Post by woozy »

When I submitted the was one thing that seemed ... unnecessarily over presented... but I slept on it and I think it makes perfect sense and it ... cutely demonstrative. It's not really necessary for solving and the solution is a 100% without it, but it add a themetic depth.

I'll explain what I think further to anyone who asks.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore! Drinking whatever's free at the airport lounge. Fun if not particularly complex meta.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Found sand, which is better than pound sand! The path I chose to follow led to a solid answer, but I'm still uncertain as to the correctness of my interpretation of Matt's direction(s).

Regardless, I'll have a Temptress Milk Stout paired with a Black works Studio Poison Dart cigar.

Not submitting just yet.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Solved! Needed to sleep on it and then it came together quickly!
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Ashore- many rabbit holes visited but crawled, scratched, and found my way back to the surface.
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
straffin

Post by straffin »

Ashore! :D
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Got to the puzzle late but a quick solve for me! I think it's 100%.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Ashore.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝on shore🏝 and boarding a ✈️ in Tokyo to fly home!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Good heavens do I feel stupid! I got COMPLETELY distracted by the "nudge clue" and had an elaborate scheme of marking devised (which gave me absolutely nothing I might add). I even SAW what I was supposed to, said "huh that's odd" and kept on my merry, incorrect, way. A few people PMed me to let me know I was not seeing the forest for the trees (and that is going to come up again I promise) and then finally the dawn came and I saw the way. So, another week of ashore but not submitting. Maybe someday?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

We are ashore. Quick one once Natasha helped finish the grid. This week we DO NOT feel stupid. A welcome change from our recent trials, and hopefully the start of a good finish in 2023.
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Ashore!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

So I have an answer I wouldn’t exactly call elegant but it seems to work so I will declare myself ashore.
Good luck to all on winning the mug. I still have my self bought“meta solver” mug. It gives me solace on weekends like this.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman