PCC#20 "Let's Get Buzzed" (Dec. 16, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#20 "Let's Get Buzzed" (Dec. 16, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Please see below for the latest puzzle PCC#20 - "Let's Get Buzzed"

[Level 2.5] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is the name of a Disney character

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Links courtesy of Joe Ross (thank you as always for the tech support!)
crosshare
PUZ
PDF

Nudges below:

Hint #1: 20A, 37A, 67A, 11D, 39D all have something in common

Hint #2: the two examples from these groups of 7 were randomly chosen - you don't have to manipulate them any further... focus on the title instead

Hint #3: the title doesn't have to do with drinking, but it does have to do with the math game referenced in 48-Down

Hint #4: if you google the rules of the game, players take turns counting out 1, 2, 3... but when they get to 7 or any multiple of 7 they say BUZZ

Hint #5: extract the letters from boxes 7, 14, 21, 28, and so on...

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: the long clues are all associated with sets of 7 (there are 7 deadly sins, 7 harry potter books, 7 continents, 7 hills of rome, 7 rainbow hues)... and the clue and title hints at the math game BUZZ at 48-Down... If you get the letters from 7, 14, 21, 28, etc.... you spell out "SHYEST DWARF"... the seven dwarfs from snow white is another familiar set of 7, so the shyest dwarf is our meta answer: BASHFUL

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was Walt Disney's first animated feature length film which premiered on Dec 21, 1937 (86 years ago!) at the Carthay Circle Theatre in Los Angeles, CA.

Constructor notes: My original working title for the puzzle was "Common Difference" and my hints were going to do with arithmetic progression vs geometric progression and including the math formula for finding the nth term as a_{n}=a_{1}+(n-1)d... I didn't think anyone would want to relive math class so just went with a "buzz" reference instead for the title as a much friendlier entryway.

I spent three days trying to get a symmetric puzzle to work with all the letters in the right number spot but couldn't get the fill to work. Finally threw in the towel and violated grid symmetry to achieve it... also "rainbow hue" is out of language... I would've much preferred "rainbow color" but wanted something symmetrical in letter length to "hill of rome"

Last edited by pchow13 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I'm Buzzed. Fun and original one. Tricky.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Fun one. Thanks, Phil.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :bee: Buzzing! A fun one -thanks Phil!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Sated! Thanks Phil ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Great puzzle, thanks Phil!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzcorner.png
Turned the corner!
Thanks, Phil -- lots of fun!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Puzzle completed. Cool!
pchow13

Post by pchow13 »

Thanks Chris! i see what you did there ;) you did it on PCC#19 too
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:00 pm Puzzle completed. Cool!
fivehalves

Post by fivehalves »

All Philled in! Thanks for the puzzle!
Jay, he/him
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Fun one, Phil! Very well-constructed.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KayW

Post by KayW »

pchow13 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:40 pm Thanks Chris! i see what you did there ;) you did it on PCC#19 too
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:00 pm Puzzle completed. Cool!
Haha I didn't see it until Phil commented. That might be my new solve phrase format for this one. I steal only from the best.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

All done (and without nudges)! Thanks for the clever puzzle, Phil.
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, my congratulations to all those who got this, I never was going to. I looked up the rules for BUZZ and saw there were two versions, Buzz and BIZZ BUZZ. I did know there were 7 deadly sins, continents, and hills of Rome, and if I had counted OIVYRGB I'd have seen the 7 connection (I did not know there were 7 HP books) but I am not sure I would have made the "just do the 7s" connection since I was playing the wrong "game".

I spent ages circling the letters of ONLY those clues without a double letter since in the one game a "multiple" of a number is when you say "BIZZ BUZZ" and I thought (since there were so may with double letters compared to those without) that this was the Mx. Must have been difficult to construct, congrats Phil.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Nice puzzzzzzzle, Phil! Thanks.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally turned the corner. Actually, this one had me cornered.

Instead of reading 48D clue carefully, I depended on my experience with the game where we also “buzzed” on every number that included the digit 7. So even those I had the mechanism, my application gave me 25 letters and I was not clever enough to see the answer amongst them.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late to it, but glad I gave it a spin - quite fun!
Ray
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

Hi Phil,
I just stumbled onto your link and your puzzles look like fun! I've D'loaded the PDFs for #20, 21, and 22, and I'm wondering if your previous ones will be uploaded to this website?
MMe

Post by MMe »

Seattle DB wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:25 pm Hi Phil,
I just stumbled onto your link and your puzzles look like fun! I've D'loaded the PDFs for #20, 21, and 22, and I'm wondering if your previous ones will be uploaded to this website?

On Phil's crosshare page, you can find puzzles going back three years. Use the "print" function to download pdfs, or click the three-dots menu to download the puz version (or just solve on crosshare).

https://crosshare.org/pchow13
pchow13

Post by pchow13 »

Don’t worry, yes I shall upload the archived puzzles onto the Muggles forum soon - please give me some time to format the pdfs and everything… if you prefer online solving over paper solving, then as MMe mentioned in the post above, the past puzzles are on my Crosshare page: https://crosshare.org/pchow13
Seattle DB wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:25 pm Hi Phil,