"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Made it to shore to avoid a 2-week losing streak! It took me awhile to get on the correct path, but then it became a fun and satisfying solve.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore after sorting through the confounding possible answers. Very neat puzzle!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved…tricky! But I like..
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

pchow13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:44 pm Ashore... i have a random question... what does guinness me mean? or all the other alcohol references in some the comments? is it just your favorite thing to drink... like a celebratory drink on the beach after making it to the "shore?"
Yes. Yes, it is.
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Ashore! I worked hard for this Guinness today.
woozy

Post by woozy »

pchow13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:44 pm Ashore... i have a random question... what does guinness me mean? or all the other alcohol references in some the comments? is it just your favorite thing to drink... like a celebratory drink on the beach after making it to the "shore?"
That is exactly what it is.

See. If we have no idea what the answer we are metaphorically at sea. And if we solve it we metaphorically made it ashore. But because we are the type of people we are we've elaborated it into a rather convoluted story based for some reason or another an the 70s television show The Love Boat. We start at sea on a cruise liner. If we are stuck we stay there drinking our troubles away with the ships bartender, Isaac. If we solve it, we swim ashore to a beach party where we ask for our favorite drinks brought to us by the cabana boy.

Either way, we all get to drink.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Very clever. Enjoyed this after overthinking last week’s musical theme that turned out not to be musically themed.
KayW

Post by KayW »

@Bob cruise director explains the origins in Muggle Overview.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Still trying to use my head to get around this one….nothing so far…and. Nudge might help…and if not, a weekend cruise is not always a bad. Idea,
pchow13

Post by pchow13 »

woozy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:12 pm
That is exactly what it is.

See. If we have no idea what the answer we are metaphorically at sea. And if we solve it we metaphorically made it ashore. But because we are the type of people we are we've elaborated it into a rather convoluted story based for some reason or another an the 70s television show The Love Boat. We start at sea on a cruise liner. If we are stuck we stay there drinking our troubles away with the ships bartender, Isaac. If we solve it, we swim ashore to a beach party where we ask for our favorite drinks brought to us by the cabana boy.

Either way, we all get to drink.
thank you for the explanation! i would respond with my drink of choice but it's an answer to a future PCC meta :mrgreen:
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

On shore. Amusing meta.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Onshore. Great puzzle! I went down one rabbit hole after another so I was almost surprised when suddenly one of them yielded the solution.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm Ashore. I'll make my own eggnog as you can't buy it any more.
Send some my way!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
markhr

Post by markhr »

Ashore. Enjoyed the puzzle.

I will say, though, that I did not like the title.
More of a hindrance than a help.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Out of POE danger now, so here's my carving of St. James' Gate, as referenced by Joe Ross in post #7 (the smaller one was for practice):
IMG_20171222_151320615.jpg
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore at last! Ultimately I loved this one, although it was quite frustrating while I was in the middle of it! Also, I beg to differ :-)
Trish

Post by Trish »

On shore. Liked it!
zach

Post by zach »

I guess I just needed a few sips of coffee. I’m ashore! This was a bit tough.
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

AHA! (Just love that moment.)

Stared and stared last night and got absolutely nothing. This morning I woke up with an idea that I tried over coffee. It turned out to be just the right thread to pull and the whole puzzle quickly unraveled. Just love it!

Great puzzle, great fun!! Thanks Matt!

It's too early for celebration, so I'll just go for my second mug of coffee and I'll celebrate with some Double Black tonight.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore Thank you for the fun diversion in the middle of winter. Nice to be on a warm beach.