"Which Way Did He Go" February 9, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore!
Clever and a quick one for me, for a change! Enjoyed it!
Time for that icy cold Manhattan.
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

On shore. Hard for a Brit but my American husband was there to assist.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Which way did I go?
Very quickly, to the shore.
Hard? No. Clever? Sure!
One world. One planet. One future.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

On shore!
Politics can be rewarding.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Forget the @The XWord Rabbit, I am working toward the newly created dunce award. Maybe it is getting my snowblower back before the storm that may dump a foot of snow on me or rain or nothing on Monday (such is forecasting in NE). Maybe it is fighting with the remote control for two blinds (bet you did not know that blinds had remote controls) which at one point had the up button making the blind go down and the program button is this tiny hole on the back of the blind remote and gibberish for instructions and the list goes on and on. The net result was that I was going nowhere on the meta and looking at 8 pages of muggles (now up to 12 pages) on the shore did not help either.

So solving buddy @MaineMarge gave me a nudge. And another nudge. And a tow toward shore. And then literally picked me up (hard for someone who is just over 5 feet tall) and carried me to the shore. Glub!!!

I can't even say that I had good rabbit holes to laugh at.

Needless to say, someone much more worthy will be taking home the mug this week.

Maybe Matt's week 2 will bring solace - if it ever comes out.

and rereading this I had the haunting of my English teachers who said "stop with the coy parentheses already"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The XWord Rabbit wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:39 pm If we ever had an heir apparent to last year’s winner, DB Miller, it is benchen71 with his stellar performance over the last six months. A trio of nominated entries, each and every one mug-worthy (sorry, Ben, only one per customer). The Rabbit was particularly taken by his use of color-coded grids, highlighting entries that explained how he so confidently went awry.

Your Rabbit’s favorite? Well, it’s a tossup between Post #221 in the “Of Sound Character” puzzle, landing on a character from “The Gods Must Be Crazy” via “Ay! Ay! Ay!” and Post #245 in the “Tie Game” puzzle for using the “Connect Four” methodology to arrive at THEORY TOILET as an answer. Well done, Ben, and congratulations on being our first international finalist!
Thank-you so much for this amazing honour! I'd like to thank my parents who always believed in me and told me I could do anything I put my mind to. They were wrong because I am yet to win a WSJ mug... but at least I now have this consolation prize thanks to the XWord Rabbit. :D

Be assured that when the mug arrives I will be posting a photo!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore!
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

Cute and clever. The keg at the beach is empty.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore!
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore mateys
ReB

Post by ReB »

Finally ashore. After trying several combinations to the motorboat ignition, and then regrouping, I finally found the one that got the motor started - and then it was a swift trip ashore.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore. Thanks to MG for a clever puzzle! Available on Japan Standard Time for nudge requests :)

And for your delight and delectation rando photo showing what happens in Tokyo when you pick up a new car……! Sales guy, translator, branch manager, flowers for the wife (who didn’t come) and a massive fake car key for photographic purposes. As usual, the lady took 3 vertical and 3 horizontal shots before Caspar’s phone battery ran out.

Happy weekend one and all.
IMG_2063.jpeg
HeyMikey

Post by HeyMikey »

Ashore -- and very thirsty. So many rabbit holes...
The time has come for the last Breckenridge Brewery Christmas Ale.
I prefer my kale with a silent K.
Luxmea

Post by Luxmea »

After a short hiatus from doing the metas, I was happy to come back to this one. Ashore.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore. Very clever!
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Finally ashore after a lot of trial and error. Way to go, Mr. Gaffney!
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Ashore with my double Jack & ginger ale.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Back after a short hiatus due to travel and work. Alas, life's demands occasionally trump the Friday puzzle.

Ashore.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Finally got back to this one. Ashore!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

On shore. Very clever! Go Chiefs!