"Which Way Did He Go" February 9, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Quickly joined the large group on shore once I solved the grid.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Which way did I go? To shore, of course! This was fun.
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore.
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Ashore. Loved this!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! 🏖️
Konnie
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

25%rabbit copy.jpg

Tempus fugit, right?

It’s hard to believe it’s been six months since The XWord Rabbit last recognized the best of you Muggles who were willing to share your stories of roads frustratingly taken in your quest to solve the Friday WSJ Crossword Puzzle Contest, but here we are.

First, the statistics:

There were 21 Rabbit Hole nominations over the course of the last six months of puzzles, beginning on August 4th. That’s exactly the same number as the previous accounting period.

Nearly half of those nominations came from three puzzles: “Tie Game” in August (4), “Small Animals” in November (3) and “Of Sound Character” in late December (3). There were 14 weeks with no nominees. Benchen71 was the most nominated Muggle with 3 Rabbit Hole stories. BarbaraK and Moron each had two.

Before names are named, a final word to those of you who are new and/or unfamiliar with your Rabbit’s methods for choosing Golden Rabbit Hole Award finalists: PLEASE READ THIS and understand that his choices are not capricious. He reads your responses to puzzles multiple times and carefully studies the logic (or lack thereof).

Let’s get to it then with a few Honorable Mentions first:

MikeyG’s struggles with the “Unfinished Business” puzzle (Post #241) included no less than 14 rabbit holes, but none of any particular depth. A prime example of what your Rabbit now calls a LITFTATT response.

“Tie Game” was an especially fruitful puzzle regarding rabbit holes, but in the end your Rabbit opted for a single finalist. Entries from femullen, BarbaraK and HunterX were especially noteworthy.

Other Muggles never got beyond the nomination stage because, in retrospect, their methods were too dependent on substituting letters or anagramming as there was nowhere left to go.

Okay, now it’s time to dispense some crockery.

If we ever had an heir apparent to last year’s winner, DB Miller, it is benchen71 with his stellar performance over the last six months. A trio of nominated entries, each and every one mug-worthy (sorry, Ben, only one per customer). The Rabbit was particularly taken by his use of color-coded grids, highlighting entries that explained how he so confidently went awry.

Your Rabbit’s favorite? Well, it’s a tossup between Post #221 in the “Of Sound Character” puzzle, landing on a character from “The Gods Must Be Crazy” via “Ay! Ay! Ay!” and Post #245 in the “Tie Game” puzzle for using the “Connect Four” methodology to arrive at THEORY TOILET as an answer. Well done, Ben, and congratulations on being our first international finalist!

Things turned theatrical – and existential - when Bird Lives connected with the “play” part of the “Play with Matches” puzzle. His response included everything from LULU (an obscure opera by Alban Berg) to NAUSEA (a fun romp that won the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature for Sartre) Post #206 and Finalist #2.

Your Rabbit has repeatedly mentioned that length of story is not a critical element in receiving his appreciation. Amidst a sea of red herrings and duplicate methods in the “Terrible Twos” puzzle responses lacangah Post #219 found a unique, concise and very wrong solution. Bravo! Finalist #3.

And that will do it this time around. To all Muggles: Please understand that all of your stories are truly appreciated by your Rabbit. Until next time, “Ay! Ay! Ay!” and thanks for playing our game.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore, after following a tried and true seven-step process:
(1) try this
(2) try that
(3) try that other thing
(4) try this thing over here
(5) read the instructions
(6) aha!

It never fails . . .
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore. As of last week, 2024 is looking up. This was a fun one!
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

Ashore. That was the most fun I've had with politics in years. :) Thanks for another delightful Zoom session and have a great weekend, folks!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On the beach in Waikiki.

House without a key for lunch and some pink bubbly. Martinis will have to wait until dinner time.

Wanted to post a comment regarding the prompt, but realized it might be construed as a spoiler.

The non-spoiler version is: "Honest politician"? pffffffttt!!! Please wait while I clean the diet coke off of my keyboard,

Happy Aloha Friday all. Plenty of room at DeRussy if Muggle Beach is too crowded for you.
Rufus T. Firefly
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks everyone for another fantastic zoom session! Have a great weekend!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Welp, I'm back in the infirmary. I have yet to even look at the grid!

Meanwhile, the ship's doc has prescribed some antibiotics and thinks I should be feeling much better in about 24 hours. This may just be the stomach bug talking but I think the puzzle title is a bit too personal for me to answer! ;)
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Relic wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:25 pm Welp, I'm back in the infirmary. I have yet to even look at the grid!

Meanwhile, the ship's doc has prescribed some antibiotics and thinks I should be feeling much better in about 24 hours. This may just be the stomach bug talking but I think the puzzle title is a bit too personal for me to answer! ;)
Feel better! (Your last sentence made me laugh)!
Heidi
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore. fun one.
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

Ashore!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Happily on shore with the crowd.
BisbeeTam

Post by BisbeeTam »

Woohoo! Happily on the beach! Mai tai in hand & toes in the sand. It’s been a while. Isaac was getting a bit tired of me.
“Wherever you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore!
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Ashore. I’m on vacation in Arizona visiting family so I have no computer or printer. I found a local library to get the puzzle. Very clever one Matt!
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Ashore! Loved this one.