"Knowledge Base" February 16, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BigPear wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:43 pm Wow! My husband wound up getting this! He hates the meta! Hates it! He has a very special expression of despair and resignation he uses only when I try to talk to him about the meta. But this was a Hail Mary pass, y’all. So I am on shore after being brought in by the world’s most reluctant lifeguard.
And the Muggle crowd gathers outside, waiting for the sign of white smoke arising from the chimney, proclaiming a new Muggle...
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On the ship. Even a 3-day weekend isn't enough to solve this one.
sweetc

Post by sweetc »

Only getting to this now and firmly on the ship. Pretty sure I'm going to give a pass this weekend, but congrats to all the solvers!
Miki

Post by Miki »

Count me ashore. I did need to get two big hints from a fellow muggle. Thank you, Captainvideo.

Also count me in this "group of people"
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Finally ashore with help from my daughter. I got half and she got half!
steveb

Post by steveb »

On the beach, and a proud member of the group in question! I LOLed when I finally got the solution today. I saw the first step on Thursday, but I didn't follow through on it then because I thought that metanism would be too obscure.* I went down a lot of rabbit holes instead and today decided to try again with every idea I had, and here I am. Keeping the streak alive!

* Edit: after posting, I read the rest of the comments, and I see that a lot of other people share this view.
Last edited by steveb on Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore!
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

:lol:
HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:10 pm
BigPear wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:43 pm Wow! My husband wound up getting this! He hates the meta! Hates it! He has a very special expression of despair and resignation he uses only when I try to talk to him about the meta. But this was a Hail Mary pass, y’all. So I am on shore after being brought in by the world’s most reluctant lifeguard.
And the Muggle crowd gathers outside, waiting for the sign of white smoke arising from the chimney, proclaiming a new Muggle...
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. Clicked finally as I sat down to the zoom call. Totally in my wheelhouse but totally distracted by the rabbits, which I refused to give up on.
Very clever.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

After struggling for a long while with parts 3 and later, I confirmed I was on the right track on the Last Call. I followed that track to the AHA moment. It probably helps to be a member of this particular “group of people.” Thank goodness I am.
rjy

Post by rjy »

ASHORE!! phew! Had the right idea from the get-go, just couldn’t stick the landing. Started to help someone else and serendipitously got what I needed. Loved it Mike! And loved your entire cocktail menu, Isaac, top to bottom.

Headed home from NYC, will appropriately have a Manhattan in a bit. Cheers all!
Ray
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 28 on the ship and 112 on the shore.

Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 pm Good evening muggles

So what's the record low for these, say in the last year?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Boy. I can't seem to catch a break when I get a chance to sit down and think one of these through. It's been several weeks for me without getting a solve.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Busy, busy weekend - and I'm still ON THE SHIP. I finished the grid on Thursday and told myself I'd spend some time on it later. I did look at it a couple of times, but now after reading all the wonderful comments from fellow Muggles, I'm glad I didn't waste my weekend trying to figure this one out. On the other hand, I did enjoy participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count. Amazingly, the Pileated Woodpecker who spends a lot of time in the trees along one of our local greenways was kind enough to show himself on Friday and this afternoon, so I was able to report my sightings. This handsome fellow is rarely seen in our area, so seeing him while walking our dog was a nice surprise.
Sara
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Submitted my Hail Mary but zero confidence of being correct.
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Will finish cruising with Isaac, and hope for more friendly meta next week
Momo

Post by Momo »

Gave up after hearing the comments. I can’t even find a rabbit hole. Gotta do a zoom call one of these days. Hi Isaac I’m back. Yeah, I know. You don’t need to say I was only gone one week. Put salt on my margarita not my wound 🙄🥳. Congrats to the solvers!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:19 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 pm Good evening muggles

So what's the record low for these, say in the last year?
@BarbaraK

Some of the fewest on the shore and lowest percentages over the past year

August 11, 2023, Think Different by Matt where the answer was Sad Mood had 104 on the shore and 40 on the ship for 72%
July 21, 2023 , Surround Sount by Mike where the answer was Stereo had 109 on the shore and 33 on the ship for 77%
June 23, 2023 Playing Dress Up by Mike where the answer was Wear had 113 on the shore and 42 on the ship for 73%
March 3,2023 Film Editing by Mike where the answer was Actor had 102 on the shore and 29 on the ship for 78%
January 13, 2023 Interior Design by Matt where the answer was Heart had 101 on the shore and 33 on the ship for 75%

And there were more in 2022.

Having a really hard one seems to come about every 10 weeks or so.

I will let someone else look up the methodologies to see if they are different or not.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am ashore. Dragged there by my son and his wife, so I won't be submitting. Didn't have much time to look at it since I'm with some college girlfriends, which is just as well since this was so not in my wheelhouse.