"Round Five" February 23, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

On shore!

It took a little longer than it should have, due to some meandering. Very clever and fun!
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

On the boat again.
girubato1

Post by girubato1 »

Ashore! I'll have a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in 7.5 hours. Not yet 5:00 here!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Aship.
Cynthia
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

woozy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:57 am I got a rabbit hole that *should* be a metanism. Doesn't seem to be though. Maybe I'll make one of it. I think I may have an issue with one of the entries that I assume is supposed to be part of the mechanism. Can I ask someone if I'm being too picky or am I just making a wrong assumption?
I'm in the same boat as you. I see 2 different rabbit holes, though I suppose you could say they connect to each other. I'm sure I'm on the right track, but I can't get an Olympic sport out of it.

I'll be on the Zoom call this afternoon, but I'll be sure not to be the first one to talk and give it away.
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

After several hours of Pirouetting in place, I am finally En Pointe in the sand.
Sandy.PNG
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Please join us for our Muggle Zoom Friday Session at 4:30 Eastern Time today. All are welcome, whether you have solved or not. Our goal is simply to have everyone's Friday afternoon infused with the joy of muggle comraderie. And, of course, solving nuggets will be tossed out in the process.

Hope to see you there. Simply click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Finally on shore, 100%-er. Guinness me (a little later) please?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

And we welcome our newest muggle @sackmana. Great to have more muggles

Another poser (good crossword word) from the WSJ. So far we have 7 on the ship and 54 on the shore.

Another full house at the 4:30 zoom call with the host @ship4u and his faithful sidekick @Wendy Walker. Join with the link at the top of the page.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Sports? Couldn't we have another nice math meta? Ah, well, at least there was the nice SF nerd gimme at 18 down. And I am on shore.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm Sports? Couldn't we have another nice math meta? Ah, well, at least there was the nice SF nerd gimme at 18 down. And I am on shore.
I'm all for the math metas!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Ashore needing help for a second week in a row. I have hit a meta slump this year with a lower success rate than recent years. On to next week!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On the beach!
Anyone with plans to be at the Olympics this summer?
Birdbrain

Post by Birdbrain »

Took a quick look but nothing jumped out at me. I took the day off yesterday and work is being needy. I will make time for the zoom though. :D
Robin P
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

LittleGood wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:39 am On the boat again.
OK On the shore now. :idea:
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

Happy to have solved after the trauma of last week. Thanks for a nudge to re-orient me
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore, but only with a tugboat to tow me in!
wescovington

Post by wescovington »

I'm ashore and that was more fun that last week.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On the beach. Still morning, so coffee for now, but it *is* martini night tonight.
REDACTED
Rufus T. Firefly
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

I would have never gotten this without Discord help, but I just love the puzzle anyway. Great idea!!!