MGWCC #824 — “It Takes One”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Waiting to be beamed up.
Couldn't get it yesterday, but as I was waking up, the mechanism came to me (or so I thought). So I took another look this morning and although my dream was wrong, I got it. Fun solve!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Whew. Made it. My weekend is my own!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up!

Got it last night just before shutting off the light. Nice to fall asleep without ruminating over the puzzle. Fun one to work through!

And I just got the WSJ! So I'm right there with you @Joe. Weekend is wide open now!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up - heading out soon for a run :)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Done swanged for the fences with a WAG and was called out due to the Infield Fly Rule.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:03 pm Done swanged for the fences with a WAG and was called out due to the Infield Fly Rule.
One of my favorite baseball rules! That third video of the Giants getting a run is fantastic.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:03 pm Done swanged for the fences with a WAG and was called out due to the Infield Fly Rule.
Well, rules is rules!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed yesterday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got it yesterday afternoon after some conferring on Discus and a little gentle nodding from a solver that I was on the right path. Forgot to come back here and report my beamage. Happy weekend, all!
The other Wendy. :roll:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Fun one, beamed!
Ray
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Beamed! Very clever and cute.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Finally got it. Beamed.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Just checking back in to say: if you haven’t checked out that link Matt posted to the Negroni puzzle site, DO. If you like variety cryptics. I just spent the whole morning on the one he’s got up now, and it’s fantastic. I don’t know the guy and I have no incentive other than to say… wow.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I have AN answer, but one of the steps to get there I wasn't too happy with. Anyone willing to verify my answer? Thanks.

Edit, got the verification I needed, and glad to know my answer was wrong, as I didn't think that intermediate step was kosher. Continue to be amazed by ALL the different ideas Matt comes up with on a regular basis!
Trish

Post by Trish »

Wondering if something might be wrong with my link. I submitted what I know has to be the right answer long before it was updated but don’t see my name. Also, I tried to resubmit and was able to do it again. Usually that ability goes away. Anyone else have an issue with submitting?

On the board finally!
Last edited by Trish on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannykbernstein

Post by dannykbernstein »

Now accepting creative/cryptic/playful nudges.

Signed, a sleepy, frustrated solver who has likely found several (most?) pieces but can't quite put them together :(
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dannykbernstein wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 am Now accepting creative/cryptic/playful nudges.

Signed, a sleepy, frustrated solver who has likely found several (most?) pieces but can't quite put them together :(
Nudges sent! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I landed on an answer. I’m not sure it is the answer.

(It was the answer and I’m on the board at #233.)
Last edited by SJMcK on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Got it! Great puzzle!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hopefully I'll beam up in the morning. Not too happy with myself but I got there (I think).