PCC#5 "Grandma Means Love in Every Language" (Aug. 26, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#5 "Grandma Means Love in Every Language" (Aug. 26, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Finally getting around to posting my old puzzles here on this forum.

Please see below for PCC#5 - "Grandma Means Love in Every Language" originally posted on Crosshare 08/26/23

[Level 3] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is what I affectionately called my grandma, to whom this puzzle is dedicated [August 8, 1935 - July 31, 2023]

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Grandma Means Love in Every Language
crosshare
PUZ
PDF

Edit: The clue for 29-Across did not print properly in the PDF. It should read: The red ninja turtle's weapon (that looks and sounds like the letter Ψ)... If you are solving on PDF or PUZ please take note of the missing character Ψ... Note this does NOT affect the meta. Thank you to DrTom for pointing this out.
PCC5 Grandma Means Love in Every Language-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: The six starred entries have something in common

Hint #2: Hopefully you don't get lost in translation

Hint #3: "Tutu" is Hawaiian for grandmother

Hint #4: Check the clues... wasn't there a clue that had the word "Hawaiian" in it?

Hint #5: Consider the first letters of the answers (in grid order) to the six clues that mention a foreign language

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: In Cantonese, maternal grandma is "paw paw" and maternal grandpa is "gung gung"... there are six other terms for grandma in the puzzle from around the world: "tutu" (Hawaiian), "yaya" (Greek), "nonna" (Italian), "babushka" (Russian), "nagymama" (Hungarian), "ugogo" (Zulu)... finding the six clues that mention these languages and reading off the first letters of the corresponding entries give us the meta answer PAW PAW

Attachments
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
(186.54 KiB) Downloaded 30 times