Duck Out

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Got all my ducks in a row. Fun one! Thanks, Lydia and Phil!

IMG_2229.jpeg
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have a comment that would give it away, but when you solve it, you can infer, haha.

Excellent collab! Not ducking out of this one!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
Anita

Post by Anita »

Sssolved!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I was on the right path, but didn't try hard enough. Needed the nudges to set me right. Thanks, guys!
Cynthia
Berto

Post by Berto »

Sssolved. One part was not familiar to me, but the backsolve made it, well, um 26ac
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

SSSolved without the nudges. I was as unfamiliar with a couple of the key words as I am with the Beethoven second, which nobody ever plays.
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Sssolved. Spent a bit of time looking for references to the Marx Brothers . . .
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:14 pm SSSolved without the nudges. I was as unfamiliar with a couple of the key words as I am with the Beethoven second, which nobody ever plays.
Oh hey, we're playing that in two weeks! (And I, uh, definitely remember how it goes, don't need to study up at all. Yep, definitely.) Oh, and friendly reminder to those in driving distance of Columbus, @Joe Ross is organizing a muggle meetup on May 17 to listen to it! Come hang out and say hello!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I didn't need the nudges. I also learned something, though it was just confirmation at that point. Thanks!
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

SSSolved!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

There is a funny story about 47A. Universal pictures filed a frivolous lawsuit against Nintendo claiming Donkey Kong was a copy of King Kong. Nintendo actually won the case because in an earlier suit Universal claimed King Kong was public domain, and well, you can’t have it both ways. 47A was one of the lawyers in that case and as a result Nintendo decided to name a game for him as a thank-you.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Good morning, friends! Thank you for a great day 1 of solving, Phil and I are delighted to have such a terrific turnout so far! I'll be on the road today but I'll still read everyone's comments and messages when I can.

Oh, and one more plug: Christina and I have today's Lil AVC X again, check it out here: https://avxwords.com/puzzles/1568/

On to the solvers update (I counted 60!):
benchen71
Cindy Weatherman
Capn Rick
kymike
LarsCaine
Schmeel
Darth
damefox
boharr
whimsy
MatthewL
BarbaraK
michaelm
KayW
lbray53
Alex Sisti
Meg
heidi
Mwoychick
Gutman
FrankieHeck
woozy
Wendy Walker
BMW
Kulea
I K Snamhcok
JM
ajk
Hector
kurtalert
BrennerTJ
AuLeaf
Qmark
rjy
DIS
Jeremy Smith
hoover
Sharkicicles
Laura M
Danny K Bernstein
Mikey G
Anita and Steve
CPJohnson
Tyrpmom
Tim
An Ephemeral Collation
DrTom
Bird Lives
Berto
DCBilly
cbarbee002
Eric Porter
Cross
coffeeandcrosswords
Carolyn
ELSavage
Tom Wilson
Elana
Dow Jones
Sendhil Revuluri

Please let me know if I've missed anyone!
Last edited by schmidzy on Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solved yesterday without nudges....smooth sailing on the duck pond. Thank you Lydia and Phil!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Solved (sans nudges) this morning while enjoying my coffee. What a great way to start off the week! Thanks to both of you!
Sara
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Did this easy-like-Sunday-morning meta yesterday, no nudges needed. Thanks for the fun! And good teamwork.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Sssolved without nudges. A fun one. Thank you, both!
Cindy Heisler
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Only 10 more solvers have joined the ranks:

SJ
TerminatorX
Hidden in 3D
Jaclyn
markhr
Cindy Heisler
andeux
danschwartz
Max Chemtov
frostyjhammer

I think that means 70 total solves, and best of all, of those who submitted a meta answer, 100% got it correct! Solution reveal forthcoming later today.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

The solution reveal you've all been waiting for!

Four symmetrical entries could follow the word DUCK, forming a new entry that matches another clue:

Duck SAUCE -- [Chinese takeout staple] WONTON
Duck HUNT -- [Classic Nintendo video game] KIRBY
Duck SOUP -- [Easy as pie] OBVIOUS
Duck TALES -- [Pre-2000 animated Disney show] RECESS

In grid order, the first letters of those entries spells WORK, something I know I have been known to try and duck out of on occasion!

Thank you again to Phil for the collab — it really was a delight making a puzzle together, and I hope to do it again soon! And thank you to all of you for solving and for the kind words, puns, and duck pictures in response!

pchow13

Post by pchow13 »

schmidzy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:11 pm The solution reveal you've all been waiting for!

Four symmetrical entries could follow the word DUCK, forming a new entry that matches another clue:

Duck SAUCE -- [Chinese takeout staple] WONTON
Duck HUNT -- [Classic Nintendo video game] KIRBY
Duck SOUP -- [Easy as pie] OBVIOUS
Duck TALES -- [Pre-2000 animated Disney show] RECESS

In grid order, the first letters of those entries spells WORK, something I know I have been known to try and duck out of on occasion!

Thank you again to Phil for the collab — it really was a delight making a puzzle together, and I hope to do it again soon! And thank you to all of you for solving and for the kind words, puns, and duck pictures in response!

I learned this week's MGWCC answer from "Recess"... they did a whole episode based on it!